Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Bomb English - an English-language podcast on Korea

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Bomb English - an English-language podcast on Korea

Postby hyunwoo » April 19th, 2008 3:57 am

http://bombenglish.com is a good podcast that I've been listening to for quite some time now and they have 12 episodes up so far.

If you'd like to know more about some issues and trends in Korea, give it a listen.

Here's an episode on fashion in Korea.

http://www.bombenglish.com/2008/03/28/9-korean-fashion/

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » April 19th, 2008 5:54 am

That's an interesting site. Thank you for posting it. The Korean on it is still beyond me, but I like the topics they discuss in English.

Wouldn't it be funny if things were the other way around? "This is the first KSL podcast made in America, for Americans. Don't listen to boring discussions in English about American customs...this is frank discussion in Korean about things you find interesting!"
하 하 하 8)

How interesting that they link to some NPR podcasts at the bottom of the page. "Car Talk" is very funny, as is "A Prairie Home Companion". I used to listen to Fresh Air with Terry Gross, it's a Canadian current events show.
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

Get 40% OFF
javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » April 20th, 2008 1:46 am

One of my favorite NPR programs is "This American Life". Each week has several 10-15 minute vignettes done by different contributors all on a theme. They're sometimes funny, sometimes sad, but they always draw you in emotionally. It's a really great listen.

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » April 21st, 2008 3:26 am

I've been listening to that podcast as well. And they make a lot of good points about Korean culture! It gives a really good look at Korean culture, give it a listen!

John
Expert on Something

Postby John » September 18th, 2008 12:49 am

I found that when it first came out myself, they haven't made a new show for a couple months now. It's to bad I really enjoyed it. But then I am still 2 months behind in the Seoul Podcast. Joe talks alot.

xflibble
Established Presence

Postby xflibble » September 18th, 2008 5:51 am

Did anyone else feel that at times they don't question their own cultural biases?

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » September 18th, 2008 8:47 pm

xflibble wrote:Did anyone else feel that at times they don't question their own cultural biases?

well among other things :wink: truthfully? for me, it's just a chance to hear a foreigner's perspective other than from The Marmot Hole http://www.rjkoehler.com/. The topics are interesting enough but as for the hosts themselves...

jjdevereux
New in Town

Postby jjdevereux » March 6th, 2009 3:25 am

Did anyone else feel that at times they don't question their own cultural biases?

What cultural biases do you mean exactly? If you are saying that because they criticise some things in Korea, that doesn't necessarily mean they are culturally biased, just that they have opinions and are not afraid to exert them! :roll:.. The show is made by an American and a Canadian, if you weren't expecting it to be culturally biased what were you expecting? Besides a culturally-neutral show that didn't offer commentary on either side would be extremely boring..

The topics are interesting enough but as for the hosts themselves...

Matthew, I'd be interested to hear just what it is about the hosts that you do object to. They speak with honesty and humour about life in a country in which they are both experts on and have lived in for years. What is it you object to about them?

I have all noticed from your earlier post on the Korean Class 101 blog that you have a 'thing' against foreigners being 'negative' about Korea. You may be a flag-waving supporter of the Korean language but I suggest you try living here before you cast those of us who offer critical opinions as 'party-poopers'.

(NB: I do have a stake in defending the show as I work for it :wink:)

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » March 6th, 2009 4:13 am

jjdevereux wrote:
matthew254 wrote:The topics are interesting enough but as for the hosts themselves...

Matthew, I'd be interested to hear just what it is about the hosts that you do object to. They speak with honesty and humour about life in a country in which they are both experts on and have lived in for years. What is it you object to about them?

You'll just have to take my word that I mean no disrespect. Text is unique in that it can't relay tone of voice. I'm a good ol boy who speaks in the most non-standard English possible so I can completely see how anyone and everyone might misinterpret where I stand. Give me a chance to clarify.

I like Bomb English. A lot. It's a podcast project that touches on seriously taboo subjects that are pertinent not only to expats but also to Korean nationals. Like the Hub of Sparkle, I feel that the overall goal of the project is to educate, be supportive, and provide a voice for the thousands of foreigners in Korea. I also like how the hosts make the show fun.

That's what I mean when I say "...but as for the hosts themselves..." Michael and Jennifer are so silly on the show. I can't help but crack a smile when one of them creates a socially awkward moment forever captured in mp3 format. They take potentially boring (yet vital) subject matter and make it enjoyable enough that I've re-listened to several episodes - for entertainment and education.

These "hosts" are something else. They're not professional radio disc jockeys. They aren't CNN news anchors. They're regular people with a wealth of knowledge and experience in a very specific area of interest. Their charm is a big part of the appeal of the show for me. They get my vote for being awesome.

jjdevereux wrote:I have all noticed from your earlier post on the Korean Class 101 blog that you have a 'thing' against foreigners being 'negative' about Korea. You may be a flag-waving supporter of the Korean language but I suggest you try living here before you cast those of us who offer critical opinions as 'party-poopers'.
(NB: I do have a stake in defending the show as I work for it :wink:)

The blog article that you mention: http://blogs.koreanclass101.com/blog/20 ... -in-korea/ deals with a sticky subject but overall, I'm pretty proud of the responses and comments left in the comment section. Again, you'll just have to believe me when I say that the negative blog posting is one part of expat life in Korea - and one that has been talked about almost as much as the economy.

Not to beat a dead horse but I don't hate expats who are negative. Negativity is a part of life. Blogging is a form of venting. Blogging is also a part of daily life. Some of the stuff seen is misunderstood - some is pretty straight forward. Either way, it gets a lot of attention. I blogged about it because I wanted to share with the KC101 community something that I thought interesting.

jjdevereux wrote:You may be a flag-waving supporter of the Korean language but I suggest you try living here before you cast those of us who offer critical opinions as 'party-poopers'.

Hey, all in all, I like the Kblogosphere. I think the party-poopers are the ones who whine and whiners are lame in any country. In fact, the ones who complain the most as of late do it with some humor that it makes me come back for more (Dokdo Is Ours, Eat Your Kimchi, etc) THAT'S the way you complain - through goofiness, satire, and brutal honesty. I include Bomb English in that category too.

Keep in mind that I have full intentions to move this summer to Korea on a semi-permanent basis. I have a personal blog that will indeed feature some negativity of things I will see. But it will also feature the good parts too, of course. I appreciate those who blog about daily life (Foreign/er Joy) and those who reminisce (White On Rice). It offers those who don't currently live in the country a taste of what it's like from their perspective. From someone who has never lived in Korea, scanning a few personal blogs off the Korean Blog List and/or posts from Dave's can be quite discouraging. This is something that most KBloggers have accepted - and moved past. There's more to life than complaining but from an outsider's view, the negativity can be overwhelming if not taken with a grain of salt.

On a separate note, I really do appreciate your comment. If in any way I come off as a jerk/know-it-all/cowboy, just know that only one of them is true. I respect the snot out of Michael for simply existing - he's a rockstar in his own right and has earned the right to express his views.

jjdevereux
New in Town

Postby jjdevereux » March 6th, 2009 3:10 pm

Matthew, thank you for your post. I suppose I wasn't seeing the full-picture, not knowing that you are planning on moving to Korea, and that you're actually a fan of Bomb English (though looking at your post again it doesn't give that impression!). I now have every reason to suspect you are, what we British would call, a very decent bloke.

Respect that you are coming to Korea, every indication shows that you'll have a great time, and be way better equipped to dealing with things than 99% of the Expat English-teaching population here (without even talking about the language!). Where are you moving too? What job are you going into? I'm sure you've read about the pitfalls of hagwon jobs, you really do need to be careful there though.

I too loathe negativity for no reason, or that which is not done with any flair or humour. I can honestly say that some things are very valid that people complain about, and the majority is a lot of tosh that comes from people not trying to integrate and expecting it to be just like home (which is still bizarre to me!) I try not to associate with these people, and seek out the ones that think like us.

When you come to Korea I'd like to help you out, or just meet up for a drink or something. Let me know what your up to. I'll check out your blog in the mean time to see how it's all coming together.

James^^

shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » March 6th, 2009 3:30 pm

Matthew - you are moving to Korea? What does "on a semi-permanent basis" mean? Anyway, hope you have a whale of a time there :D And I hope you continue blogging for KC101, with even greater insights of course! :)

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » March 6th, 2009 10:35 pm

Matthew - you are moving to Korea? What does "on a semi-permanent basis" mean?

uh-oh - cat is officially out of the bag.

well, I'm not saying that I never want to come back to America or anything like that but in all honesty, I don't have any plans to live in America. Man oh man that just sounds terrible but I really mean it in a nice way though. I'm not trying to burn any bridges or anything. I've even taken the tests to be a certified teacher in Texas (a lot of good it'll do me in the ROK).

Anyway, hope you have a whale of a time there Very Happy And I hope you continue blogging for KC101, with even greater insights of course! Smile

I hope that I can continue to provide whatever scraps of insight I run into once I land on my feet there. Perhaps one day we'll all be reading about "Marriage" under "How Koreans Do It" (I've heard two words that scare me already: smoke. machine.)

I now have every reason to suspect you are, what we British would call, a very decent bloke.

I really appreciate that. I'm terrible with (giving) first impressions so I appreciate you giving me the chance.

Where are you moving too? What job are you going into? I'm sure you've read about the pitfalls of hagwon jobs, you really do need to be careful there though.

Not sure exactly but for sure in Seoul for at least the first few years. I want to stay close so as to attend a Korean language institute. I also won't swear off 학원 jobs as I feel that just like any profession, there are good apples and bad apples in the 학원 barrel. However, I do plan on teaching public school (공립) starting this August.

I can honestly say that some things are very valid that people complain about, and the majority is a lot of tosh that comes from people not trying to integrate and expecting it to be just like home (which is still bizarre to me!) I try not to associate with these people, and seek out the ones that think like us.

well said!

When you come to Korea I'd like to help you out, or just meet up for a drink or something. Let me know what your up to. I'll check out your blog in the mean time to see how it's all coming together.

count on it :D

xflibble
Established Presence

Postby xflibble » March 18th, 2009 8:26 am

jjdevereux wrote:

What cultural biases do you mean exactly? If you are saying that because they criticise some things in Korea, that doesn't necessarily mean they are culturally biased, just that they have opinions and are not afraid to exert them! :roll:.. The show is made by an American and a Canadian, if you weren't expecting it to be culturally biased what were you expecting? Besides a culturally-neutral show that didn't offer commentary on either side would be extremely boring..

By 'cultural biases', I mean that in the couple I listened to, there were a number of times where I felt they presented certain aspects of Korean culture as negative, but the 'badness' seemed to be that the specific thing was different to accepted western (or at least, the presenters') values, rather than issues that could be directly observed to have negative effects on Korean society. Or to put it another way, I don't usually buy into the idea that there is generally a universal moral truth.

For example, I can say 'Guns are bad, and the US should change its gun laws'.
But personally, I'd be more likely to say 'Americans kill themselves with guns at quadruple the rate of people dying on Australian roads. It's amazing there's so much support'. I just feel that the value judgements tend to kill off the more interesting part of the conversation for me, which is *why* things are the way they are, what problems are occuring as a result, and what forces are at play to maintain the status quo.

So that's all I intended my criticism to mean, that some of the negative comments seemed a bit shallow.

I think the specific example was something about gay people coming out in Korea. I thought it was a good opportunity to discuss a complex issue, but it seemed to be reduced to a value judgement of 'this is a good thing, just because'.

stevenwilson
Been Around a Bit

Postby stevenwilson » July 7th, 2009 7:35 am

oh wow, I wasn't really expecting much, but this is really good! hearing the second podcast was very interesting.

I like this allot. They really seem to touch on taboo subjects. very interesting.

Return to “Korean Resources & Reviews (자료 및 리뷰)”