Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Best Book Korean/English Dictionary?

reflectlight
New in Town

Best Book Korean/English Dictionary?

Postby reflectlight » November 21st, 2009 3:46 am

Hi all! I'm wondering what the best Korean-English dictionary is. I know there are great online resources, but when I'm studying in the library, it would be handy to have a book dictionary! I've seen some in bookstores but they don't seem too great... mostly travel ones. Any suggestions? :D

carsont
Been Around a Bit

Postby carsont » December 6th, 2009 11:53 pm

The 민중 pocket dictionary can be had from Amazon. I'm quite happy with it, though it's definitely intended more for Korean speakers learning English than the other way around.

Get 40% OFF
stevenwilson
Been Around a Bit

Postby stevenwilson » December 7th, 2009 11:11 am

a good new paper dictionary will cost you around $40. an awesome used electronic dictionary is only $70, and it has so many features! (although allot of them are useless to english speakers) but anyways, being able to just type words is so much easier than looking them up in a book. I would highly highly highly recommend you by a used electronic dictionary instead.

p.s.
I think you would do better with an electronic dictionary. ;)

as for where to buy, check ebay, facebook market, and craig's list. If your ballin rich you could buy a brand new one. they are around $200 I think. I googled it and came up with this. http://www.ectaco.ca/products/ectaco-partner-ek500/

reflectlight
New in Town

Postby reflectlight » December 7th, 2009 4:27 pm

Yeah definitely cannot buy a new electronic one, haha. Thanks for the tips!

harrisandreson
New in Town

Postby harrisandreson » April 19th, 2010 10:55 am

Hi friend!!
I am new at this site and i have a passion to work in Korea but i don't have so access financially and i have made an account there for free because of my financial problems but let me tell that how this site is going to help me there, either in case of immigration or in case of learning Korean language. would any one can help me there if you want to share something, kindly sent me e-mail.I will be waiting for your response.
Memories reminds the past beauty, protect your dreams, Truly Sincere

arsenius
New in Town

Not "6000 Words"

Postby arsenius » April 22nd, 2010 8:13 pm

The only book dictionary I have is "6000 Words." It has three sets of words. The first 1000 are very basic, next 2000, and more advanced 3000 words. I bought this dictionary thinking it would be a nice way to check over any words I should have already learned, and focus on more important vocabulary. However, the translations are really bad. The basic words are ok, but levels B and C seem to have a lot of problems. I've asked my wife so many times "Does ㄱ really mean X in English?" And the response is usually "No."

So I don't recommend that dictionary. Hopefully you have luck finding something!

Return to “Korean Resources & Reviews (자료 및 리뷰)”