Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Korean Textbook Help!

Blueboat
New in Town

Korean Textbook Help!

Postby Blueboat » September 27th, 2009 9:34 pm

OK I'm looking for a beginner Korean textbook NOT workbook to use...Have you used anything good and what is it called and where did you get it?

cjb3
New in Town

Korean Textbook

Postby cjb3 » September 28th, 2009 3:07 am

I am partial to the Speaking Korean series by Francis Park, which can be found easily enough at Amazon or other such places. I vividly remember coming across Volume I in the late 1980s, after spending close to a year trying to find a decent book. The big advantage it had on all other books at the time is that it presented Hangul right up front, and didn't use any transliteration into English letters, which I always found hopelessly confusing.

There certainly may be better texts out there now that I do not know of. The great achievement of the Speaking Korean seriew is Volume III, in which approximately 1550 Hanja are introduced in 150 or so short chapters, with vocabulary and reading passages to illustrate the use of the characters. I have never seen any other text come close to it in presenting Hanja.

Get 40% OFF
Khariis
New in Town

Postby Khariis » October 17th, 2009 10:26 pm

I'm looking for a good textbook as well. [:
So far I've found only the 'Integrated Korean' series. It's pretty cheap at Barnes&Noble for a hardcover/textbook binding, only 27USD. I haven't bought it yet but I'm going to get next weekend. They have workbooks and audio on their website, www.korean.ucla.edu/index.htm under 'Textbook' I think. Good luck finding one, I'm going to stalk this post. :P

Book:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Integrated-Korean/Korean-Language-Education-and-Research-C/e/9780824823429/?itm=1&usri=korean

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Re: Korean Textbook

Postby javiskefka » October 18th, 2009 3:28 pm

cjb3 wrote:I am partial to the Speaking Korean series by Francis Park, which can be found easily enough at Amazon or other such places. I vividly remember coming across Volume I in the late 1980s, after spending close to a year trying to find a decent book. The big advantage it had on all other books at the time is that it presented Hangul right up front, and didn't use any transliteration into English letters, which I always found hopelessly confusing.

There certainly may be better texts out there now that I do not know of. The great achievement of the Speaking Korean seriew is Volume III, in which approximately 1550 Hanja are introduced in 150 or so short chapters, with vocabulary and reading passages to illustrate the use of the characters. I have never seen any other text come close to it in presenting Hanja.

Hey that sounds like a great book. Amazon shows a fourth volume in that series too. I wish I could check those out in person, but I've never seen anything beyond a phrasebook or travel dictionary for Korean in a regular B&M bookstore.

owbEe
Been Around a Bit

Postby owbEe » October 18th, 2009 6:36 pm

I recently bought the 'Integrated Korean' series from Barnes&Noble, it's really cheap. I think the 1st book only cost $10. So I immediately grabbed it. I can't find any book cheaper than that. I guess it's because they just released a second edition of that book so they need to dispatch the old one.

zazang
New in Town

Postby zazang » October 19th, 2009 3:46 am

I have the first integrated korean (klear) book also. It's pretty elementary, but I think it's pretty good. (The first volume is really only for a 1-semester course.) I like that every thing is in hangul and it's conversational (and it's cheap). I first started learning from some US gov't books in very formal language.

BTW, does anyone have any recommendations for Korean texts written in Japanese?

Return to “Korean Resources & Reviews (자료 및 리뷰)”