Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Getting rid of Romanization on Vocab List

khakionion
New in Town

Getting rid of Romanization on Vocab List

Postby khakionion » July 13th, 2009 1:28 pm

I’m not too fond of the Romanization that appears on the vocabulary list. If you’re like me and want that romanization to go away, I’ve written a userscript that will do it for you!

Safari and Firefox users can see it here: http://khakionion.blogspot.com/2009/07/ ... ss101.html

(Sorry for the double-post; I actually didn't realize earlier that there was a forum!)

mysalsa
New in Town

Postby mysalsa » July 14th, 2009 12:17 am

Definitely helpful! Should be the standard, but I guess a lot of people have asked for the Romanizations.

Get 40% OFF
stevenwilson
Been Around a Bit

Postby stevenwilson » July 14th, 2009 12:43 am

good job!

any possibility you could do the same with the "Word Dictionary with Audio"?

and I dont know if this is a result of your program or if they just coincidentally changed it today, but my new top bar says :
"Korean English Root Class Audio*"
and it used to say:

"Korean Romanization English Audio"

both root and class are completely blank.

-edit-
now the "root" and "class" designations are gone, so never mind.

khakionion
New in Town

Postby khakionion » August 2nd, 2009 6:53 pm

Hi stevenwilson, that's a good idea! I'll look into doing it. It may be very easy, so I'll get back to you soon.

Also, I've revised my script to allow for the Romanization to be brought back at will, but defaults to invisible. Just click the message that my script leaves on top of the list! You can update your Greasemonkey/GreaseKit script at:

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/53602

Cheers!

untmdsprt
Been Around a Bit

Postby untmdsprt » February 15th, 2010 1:19 pm

Would this script strip out the romaji in Japanesepod101? I agree with everyone that Asian languages need to be learned in their actual characters and get rid of romanization for good.

I'm currently learning how to type Hangul on my computer in their correct positions, then will attempt to learn their correct pronunciation.

khakionion
New in Town

Hmm...

Postby khakionion » February 24th, 2010 5:55 am

Originally, no, it wouldn't work on JapanesePod101. But, that's a great idea! So, I've fixed it. If you update the script (by going to its page on userscripts.org) the new version will intelligently detect whether you're on JapanesePod101 or KoreanClass101 and remove the appropriate romanization column.

I've made a blog post about it here, please reply either to this forum thread or to that blog post if you have comments/suggestions/bugreports.

Cheers, and thanks for the input!

untmdsprt
Been Around a Bit

Postby untmdsprt » February 24th, 2010 6:30 am

I installed the updated script, and it works great on Japanesepod101. It seems though like they've updated that website, and now all romaji can be hidden without your script.

The script is still useable for two reasons: one - people can toggle back and forth between romaji and normal, and two it will take out the English words when someone has it set for no romaji to begin with. That's a good motivator to actually learn words.

I'll keep playing with it and see what else it'll do.

Thanks!

khakionion
New in Town

Postby khakionion » February 24th, 2010 7:13 am

Thanks for the heads-up. Also, I've added the necessary code to make it remove Romanizations from the searchable dictionaries, as per stevenwilson's request. Simply update again to get that!

Return to “Korean Resources & Reviews (자료 및 리뷰)”