Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Electronic dictionaries

Kjungs
New in Town

Electronic dictionaries

Postby Kjungs » February 9th, 2009 10:39 pm

Has this been asked already? If so please direct me to the post. :)

I'm looking around for a really nice English - Korean/Korean - English electronic dictionary. A friend in Korea told me that Sharp and Casios are the popular choice there. But I've come across some brands, such as iRiver, Atree, Udea..., that look very promising. I was curious what others are using and recommend. O, and another thing is, I've noticed that the manuals are in Korean usually. For those who bought ones with Korean only interface, has it been a problem for you? Have you been able to use it for it's full capabilities?

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » February 9th, 2009 11:10 pm

Get 40% OFF
Kimberly
New in Town

electronic dictionary

Postby Kimberly » February 9th, 2009 11:41 pm

I bought an iRiver on E-bay. It was brand new and came directly from Seoul. It is very fancy, but I haven't been able to figure it out for almost 2 years!! All the instructions are in Korean, and so is the installation disc that came with it. My model has an MP3 player and radio, but I don't know how to work it. Basically, the only thing I use is the English/Korean and Korean/English dictionary. I just recently figured out how to access the Idioms and set the clock :? A Korean friend has offered to help, so maybe I will actually be able to use the functionality I paid a lot of money for!! Does anyone know if there are these types of dictionaries that cater to an English speaker trying to learn Korean? My Korean language partner has the exact same model but his is very useful to him, and he can use it for pretty much everything.

Kjungs
New in Town

Postby Kjungs » February 10th, 2009 4:01 am

Matthew: Thanks for the link. I'll be jumping over there. It doesn't look like too many people have electronic dictionaries??

Kimberly: Yeah, that's sort of my concern if I spend all the money on features that I won't be able to figure out or unable to use 'cause I'm not in Korea. They sure are tempting though...

osukaru
New in Town

iRiver D35

Postby osukaru » February 10th, 2009 5:50 am

I would like to buy an electronic dictionary. It seems iRiver is a good choice. But I want to buy a new model.
Does anyone have a iRiver D35? Is it better than D30? If yes, in what ways?

stevy
New in Town

Postby stevy » February 27th, 2009 12:49 pm

can anyone recommend me just a good electronic dictionary with no frills. All i want is to type in the korean word and find the meaning ?

thanks very much

steve

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » February 27th, 2009 2:04 pm

Let me tell you how I ended up with my Sharp RD-3500. I went to Yongsan, into the building right next to the train station and found a guy selling electronic dictionaries. I asked him what features each one had. When I identified the one with just Korean and English and no frills, I asked how much it was. He said it was 140,000, but I talked him down to 125,000.

It's been a great dictionary for me. It takes two triple A batteries and I only have to change them about twice a year. I can look up words by korean, by english, by hanja, and by korean-korean. I can select a word within a definition to look up that one. It can show examples for every subdefinition. The only drawbacks are that sometimes the screen is hard to read, and that after 3 years, it doesn't always register a button press the first time, so I have to type slowly on it.

John
Expert on Something

Postby John » February 27th, 2009 3:04 pm

lukek
Been Around a Bit

Postby lukek » February 28th, 2009 3:58 am

Sharp make great dictionaries. I have two of them, I think the next model up from that one.

cheri
Expert on Something

Postby cheri » March 5th, 2009 12:33 am

I have a Nurian x7 that worked well for me...
Of course, somehow the screen cracked and started to bleed which cost me an extra 70,000 won... but function-wise, it's great. ^^
I don't remember the exact price, but it was probably a little under 200,000 won a year ago?
Attempts to blog in Korean^^
http://cheripracticeskorean.blogspot.com/

Ramblings about things related to (and sometimes not related to) Korea..usually this translates to FOOD^^
http://seoulberry.blogspot.com

Return to “Korean Resources & Reviews (자료 및 리뷰)”