a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Korean online bookstore?

ssomers
New in Town

Korean online bookstore?

Postby ssomers » October 10th, 2008 11:19 pm

Dear friends,

I have had mixed success finding a comprehensive Korean bookstore online -- this is probably owing to my deficiency in the language of course.

I like Hanbooks.com -- but their literature selection is small. It has the virtue of being dual language, so I can 'check' my translations to ensure I'm ordering what I think I'm ordering.

www.aladdin.co.kr (with a US branch as well) seems to be the Amazon of the Korean lit world -- but it's all in Korean (for obvious reasons).

Is there something else out there that's got a big selection, but offers a small amount of English to help intermediate learners get about? I understand I probably shouldn't be buying books that I'll be struggling to read - but, what can I say? Bibliomania is a terrible habit.

Thanks,
Sean Somers
U.B.C.

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » October 11th, 2008 1:07 am

hey hey ssomers and welcome!

Kyobo is the Barnes & Noble of Seoul - it's a labyrinth of a brick and mortar bookstore. Here's their online store http://www.kyobobook.co.kr/index.laf unfortunately, I can't find an English aspect to the site.

Anyone able to help?

Get 40% OFF
shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » October 11th, 2008 9:41 am

This one's in English. There are books for learning Korean (in Korean), but I'm not sure how many of their other books are in Korean. You can try browsing or even send them a request if you are looking for anything in particular.

http://www.seoulselection.com/index.html

theresa
New in Town

Postby theresa » October 11th, 2008 2:40 pm

i'm looking for korean books too but i have no idea what's good to read.

hey shanshan, you're singaporean too right? :) where do you get your books from? the only place i see selling korean books is sol mart but they don't have much variety.

shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » October 13th, 2008 4:34 am

Hi Theresa, yes I'm singaporean :) I'm still pretty much at the beginner level, so I don't think there are many Korean books I can actually read at this stage. I thought of looking for children's storybooks (I think there are some bilingual ones at Amazon), but they are too expensive to buy. So... I dont' have any helpful suggestions for you.. I actually think that getting to know some Koreans living in Singapore is a good way to access Korean things :D so if you ever have the opportunity to do so, grab it! :D

ssomers
New in Town

Postby ssomers » October 17th, 2008 10:31 pm

I've also had some success with www.hanbooks.com:

this site has a small literature selection, including multi-volume editions of the modern classics, such as Cho Chongnae.

Return to “Korean Resources & Reviews (자료 및 리뷰)”