Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

eating...ears

namisu
New in Town

eating...ears

Postby namisu » July 14th, 2008 11:20 am

I know that this topic might have been posted already...somewhere...

를 vs. 가

I'm confused...again, duh...
a couple of days ago, I got yelled at, sort of, and replied:
귀를 안 먹었어요...
reaction: sniggering, it has to be 귀가 안 먹었어요...
근데 왜???
(I am the subject, the ears are the object ...끝)
next time I just drop it and say 귀 안 먹었어요...?!
여러분: do you also just drop those particles whenever you are not that sure which one should be used? :P

sbeschke
New in Town

Postby sbeschke » August 13th, 2008 11:19 pm

I'm not an expert, but I think 귀먹다 should be fine without a particle...

You've probably learned as much, but you use 이/가 when indicating the subject (i.e., that which is the actor) of a sentence, and 을/를 when indicating the object (i.e. that which the action is done to).

Now this becomes quite unintuitive when using a phrase like 귀먹다, so you're probably best off just leaving the particle out ;)

Also see the Naver dictionary http://endic.naver.com/search.nhn?query_euckr=&dic_where=endic&mode=all&query=%B8%D4%B4%D9&x=0&y=0 (3rd meaning for 막다), where it states the correct particle.

Edit: Yes, and to me, 귀를 안 먹었어요 sounds like "I haven't eaten my ears"... hence the sniggering, probably ;)

HTH, Sebastian

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » August 14th, 2008 1:09 am

:)

The part "먹다" in 귀먹다 or 귀가 먹다 is different from the usual 먹다, which is to eat, as you know.

Even native Korean speakers don't know what this means exactly, but the best explanation so far is 먹다 comes from the word '먹먹하다' or '막막하다' which means 'to be blocked' or 'to be fogged so that you can't see what's coming'

(앞이 막막하다 = The future seems foggy - you're worried about your future)

So 귀먹다 or 귀가 먹다 (not 귀를 먹다 because 먹다 here, again, is not the same transitive verb that means 'to eat' ^^) means your ears are blocked :)

But you'll notice that even a lot of Korean people don't know that this 먹다 is not the same 먹다, and would make the mistake of saying 귀 잡수시다 (잡수시다 is the utmost polite form of the verb 먹다) when they are referring to someone much much older.

But it should be 귀먹으시다 and not 귀 잡수시다 :)

And FYI, someone who's deaf is called 귀머거리 in Korean.

And usually when two friends are quarrelling and one person yells at the other, the other person would say "나 귀 안 먹었어!" to mean "I'm not deaf!"

I hope this helps!

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”