Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Random thought just occured to me...

mariefrenette
Been Around a Bit

Random thought just occured to me...

Postby mariefrenette » June 17th, 2008 11:47 pm

My friend Tamara just finished her thesis defense so to celebrate we met up, had some food and drinks (started with Sake and ended at Sangria, very interesting combination!) and then I stumbled home quite drunk, but not before an hour at 노래방 (where I once again butchered 바다여행 (커피 프린스 OST 이선균....!)

Anyway, the sangria and the sake served as very potent sleeping medication, so when I woke up in the morning I was very surprised to find myself alone in our apartment. My homestay family was gone at least an hour earlier than is normal. I was prepared to say hi to someone, when noone was there I thought "벌써 나갔어요?" . When I think in Korean, it always surprises me and I got to thinking.... I realized I used formal language even when just thinking to myself... and wondered.... Is this normal?

When Koreans are thinking to themselves, do they think in 존댓말? 반말? Both? Neither? Let us dive into Korean consciousness .... (I suppose this is a very dumb question...)

For example... if you look out the window and see that is has started raining...
Would you think 아! 비가 온다!, 아! 비가 왔어! 아 비가 왔어요 (as if you are saying it to another person...)

My feeling is that people think using a variety of different forms... but stillll thought I'd ask...

hehe.
Last edited by mariefrenette on June 18th, 2008 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » June 18th, 2008 2:23 am

I'm somewhat of a hybrid so I might not be the best person to answer this, but when I think or speak aloud to myself in Korean, I always think in 반말. And I typically use 네 or 다 as an ending. Like 비가 오네 or 와.. 오늘 덥다. Yea not that I think about it, I usually have those endings when thinking to myself or thinking aloud. Interesting question!

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
mariefrenette
Been Around a Bit

Postby mariefrenette » June 18th, 2008 2:58 am

Thanks for responding Keith! I also think in 반말 or use -다

My thinking in Korean is very random and sometimes surprising. In the middle of an English sentence, suddenly Korean pops out.

Once the bank machine in my dreams started dispensing Won, and I started sleep talking in Korean, I realized I was making progress. My body realizes I'm in a different country! hehe

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » June 18th, 2008 3:41 am

As a native korean, I totally agree with Keith.

'어, 벌써 나갔네?'

'오늘 무지하게 덥다.'

:lol:

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”