Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

You have much to learn

matthew254
Expert on Something

You have much to learn

Postby matthew254 » June 9th, 2008 11:23 am

(This thread is a sort of culmination from ideas from previous posts by sarahk, mariefrenette, holdfast and others on the subject of their progress in Korean.)

Last week, I was going through some of my old notes from this time last year to find that I was still romanticizing everything and (incorrectly) phonetically spelling out all phrases and words. I also took about three times longer to use a Korean QWERTY keyboard. In my notes, I even state how I would rather copy and paste from another source instead of typing an original line in Korean.

All this, and I was proud of it! I really was. Think about it: I was starting to watch K-dramas (working on listening and fluency skills) listening to Keith's Survival Phrases (using them timidly but using them nonetheless) and starting to meet with my tutor (culture exchange mainly at that time), starting to slowly get into Korean music (shaking off the scary notion of listening to something not produced stateside) and most of all, learning to read and write hangul.

At that time, even with limited exposure (say weekly) to Koreans, extremely limited exposure to Korean food (monthly) and a part time job and a full time college load, I was still earnestly listening and learning to Korean. It's been a year since my notes and I am very proud of my progress. i have come a long way...but that's just it - I still have so much more to go!

It's so strange to me. The move from uneducated to "newbie" was quick, as was the transition from "newbie" to "beginner". But "beginner" to "intermediate" took a little more time but it still happened nonetheless. I can only imagine what it's like to listen to the advanced audio blog and understand 95% of it one day! But I know it will happen so long as I study diligently.

It's hard to see my learning as a progress but that's exactly what it is. It's dynamic and constantly changing. It hurts even more that we are our own worst critic. It's also quite difficult to objectively see our mistakes and strengths. Only if you are someone like my fellow KC101 students maxiewawa or austinfd and you make your own videos where you can tangibly see the progress made. It takes a lot of guts to post your language progressions online so my hat goes off these guys and others who have the desire to improve.

So, to sarahk, please keep up your Korean studies and post back here March 2009 - I for one am curious to see if you meet your goals. If you are like me and actively study in both an academic and real life setting, you will be so proud of your progress. And that's what this all is: progress.

Thoughts?

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » June 10th, 2008 3:23 am

yes, it is all progress! even in english, i am always learning new words and learning to better use words. i am not sure that there is ever an end to any language. i have always had a hobby of learning (and even creating) languages, but this is the first time i have ever gotten this far into a language. it is encouraging whenever i can look back and see big leaps in progression, but every day that i speak or read, i am moving forward (so are we all). ^^

i can't believe that a year ago i only knew a few phrases.. i could read and write hangul from the beginning, but learning my first few words and phrases was difficult. i can't believe that a year ago i could watch a korean show and not even pick up on the phrases that i knew (while reading the subtitles), and now i can watch the exact same show and understand it without the subtitles (and perhaps even understand it better - some things just don't translate, some things are translated wierd, and some things just don't get translated at all because there is so much going on at once). i don't notice my progress day to day, but thinking of a year ago... that's crazy!

i have rewritten all of my notes a few times, but i still have all of my old notebooks. it's strange even to see the progression of my handwriting. it used to be so clean and precise and BIG, but now it's a sloppy mess (but i can still read it). another big thing changed too - when i started taking notes, i needed to use a lot of english to explain everything. now, i hardly use english in my personal notes - just a word or two unless i can get by using other korean words. it's pretty exciting!

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » June 17th, 2008 2:06 am

Matthew thank you for those words of encouragement. I think KoreanClass101.com has some of the best students! I am constantly impressed with the progress that I see with everyone. Hearing about your story and Emily's story is always so inspiring. I wish I could be as diligent as everyone here. Haha... I can! And I will! ;)

mariefrenette
Been Around a Bit

Postby mariefrenette » June 17th, 2008 11:21 pm

What you say is so true! All the same things apply to me as well. I even look through notes I made last year and mistakes pop out at me like crazy. It is tiny bit frustrating, but more than anything, its just cool that now I can find those things myself.

I used to be the kind of girl who wants everything right now. Instant results, I guess, fast food style (although I don't eat fast food ^^) But studying Korean has taught me that every 20 minutes I spend listening to mp3s on my way to school, a Sunday afternoon in a coffee shop, even looking over korean stuff while in the washroom (sorry) helps! All those little pieces, slowly nudge me forward.

Of course, at first its hard to see the movement. But if you meet a friend you haven't seen in 6 months, or look over your notes from the year before, make vids of yourself, yeah! It's striking to see one's own progress.

I have a lot to learn. Yeppers! And, that's cool with me. I'll get to it in time.

keep up the great work everyone!

Marie

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”