Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

simple question from a simple mind

Bouks
Expert on Something

simple question from a simple mind

Postby Bouks » April 17th, 2008 7:29 pm

I'm not comfortable with verbs yet, I just started learning to conjugate them. I am practicing by conjugating verbs that I have never seen conjugated before. One of those verbs is 살 디.

Is the correct standard polite conjugation 실 어 요 ? If not, please explain what the correct one is, and how you arrive at it. 고 맙 습 니 다 !
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

austinfd
Expert on Something

Re: simple question from a simple mind

Postby austinfd » April 17th, 2008 11:39 pm

Bouks wrote:I'm not comfortable with verbs yet, I just started learning to conjugate them. I am practicing by conjugating verbs that I have never seen conjugated before. One of those verbs is 살 디.

Is the correct standard polite conjugation 실 어 요 ? If not, please explain what the correct one is, and how you arrive at it. 고 맙 습 니 다 !

You typed two different words in your questions :wink:

The verb is 살다 (to live)

The standard conjugation is: 살아요 (서울에서 살아요 I live in Seoul)

-verb stems that end in ㄹ are irregular, so in other conjugations it's a bit different

고맙습니다 comes from the descriptive verb 고맙다 (to be grateful/thankful) conjugated in the formal politeness level:

고맙 + 습니다

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » April 18th, 2008 1:41 am

Also, please ignore the self-promotion if you wish, but we do have an entire conjugation chart in our Premium Learning Center as well :)

Just throwing that in there cause I think its a good resource, and also because I probably spent a whole day working on it! hehe :)

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » April 18th, 2008 2:42 am

Keith, your conjugation charts are an excellent resource, actually...thank you for your hard work! I was just unsure of myself. I think I am one of those people that needs tons of repetitive examples until the light bulb finally clicks on.

Austin: I hope my typing didn't give you a headache. There are probably mistakes in it despite my best efforts. And the "gomapseumnida" was an advance thank-you to whomever would answer my question - therefore you are the lucky recipient 8)
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”