Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Korean outside Korea

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » August 8th, 2008 4:03 am

I've been to sydney in this May to meet my brother and his family who are living in there.
And I was so surprised because I could hear Korean saying everywhere in the city.
Although I've already knew that there are many Korean people in Sydney,
it was so weird experience to me to hear that much Korean outside of Korea. :shock:

ryans class wrote:By the way, what is Korean for Ugg Boots anyway?

어그부츠

:lol: :lol: :lol:

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » August 8th, 2008 8:26 am

Lol I'm not sure Ugg Boots exists in the Korean language! Maybe it's one of those "dialect words" that we have in Australian.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Angstless
New in Town

Postby Angstless » August 11th, 2008 5:58 pm

Well, I live in Canada in an itty bitty little town. Although I am living in a slightly larger town now and see Asian people frequently, I have never in my life witnessed a Korean conversation. (besides on youtube).

We don't even have a Korean market or anything around here that I know of. Yet, we have three Tim Hortons in this town alone.

My life is fairly Korean-deprived and everyone thinks I'm weird for wanting to learn the language/listening to the music. But, I hope to move to Korea someday. u.u Then maybe I'll have more luck.

Martanor
New in Town

Postby Martanor » August 22nd, 2008 8:11 pm

I have almost never heard a Korean conversation in public, except for when I'm eating at a Korean restaurant. I did see a tourist bus packed with Koreans one day (I could tell because there was a sign written in 한글 on it). I felt like I had to wave at them or something but that would've looked extremely stupid. I guess there aren't that many Koreans in Sweden :( The largest portion of Koreans in Sweden are probably those adopted from Korea.

chriswebb
New in Town

Postby chriswebb » August 31st, 2008 10:45 am

Pamela246 wrote:
Keith wrote:usakorjb03, you must live in california ;)

Being from New York, there are a lot of Koreans. But I'm sure you all know that from listening to the podcasts.

But here are some places where you can find many Koreans:

Hawaii, Texas, Seattle, New Jersey, Germany, China, New Zealand, England, Russia, Kazakhstan, Japan, Canada, Toronto, Vancouver, and many other places.

I was quite surprised to see England as being a place to find many Koreans!! I live in UK and have problems finding anything relating to Korea - including Koreans! ( well apart from London where we found a restaurant in China town!) I would love to be able to meet up with a Korean and disscuss the language!

Hey Pamela, If you can get to Chinatown in central London then maybe New Malden in Surrey is not out of your reach, the place is where many Koreans who come to the UK choose to live and work, I'd guess that maybe 25-35% of the local population is Korean with many of the local businesses ( including restaurants, grocery stores and even a bookshop ) being Korean owned and run. There are also a large number of korean churches in the area.

Edit: There is also the recently opened cultural centre just of Trafalgar Square which i havent personbally tried but was told by a member of the embassy staff last year would offer korean language classes and resources.

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”