Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

All About Korean/Japanese

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

All About Korean/Japanese

Postby maxiewawa » August 25th, 2007 7:06 am

In case you didn't know, Koreanclass101.com is from the makers of japanesepod101.com. This is why so many Japanese phrases are posted on the message boards. - For example someone said they were 'waku waku', or looking forward to the next lesson. I thought I"d start a thread on Japanese, JPod, and everyone's opinions on how Japanese keeps popping up at KPod.

I was just thinking that this might have a weird effect on people posting in the boards. We might get some Korean/Japanese hybrid! どう思う?
Also, since so many grammar points between Japanese/Korean are the same, it might be good to start a thread that talks about some of the grammar points.
For example, the one grammar point that we've got from these early lessons is the subject particle 는. We have got very little explanation at this early point, but we japanesepod listeners probably wont need much explanation, beyond this:

는 = は

The topic marking particle in Japanese is は, and is used in a similar way.

As usual, you should wait for someone more knowledgeable to confirm this!

Finally, what do you think about posting in Japanese? It seems some people can't help it, I often find myself putting little Japanese phrases, sometimes I find myself typing 〜さん after someone's name. Will we ever start posting in Korean in JPod?

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » August 25th, 2007 7:40 pm

That's right! Korean and Japanese have so much in common! :D It should be interesting enough for anyone who's done any amount of studying in Japanese or Korean.

Just like Max said,

は in Japanese is 는 in Korean,

and to add some more,

ーです is -입니다
ーだ is -이다
ーも is -도
ーと is -와

:D

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » August 25th, 2007 10:24 pm

Awesome post haha... We sure are jpoders by heart... haha I mean sometimes we just add a "to omou" in the sentence without thinking. Maybe it's a good sign that we are learning the language ^^

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » August 26th, 2007 1:02 pm

Yeah! I hope the same thing will happen in your brains in Korean too someday :D I also sometimes mix the Japanese って with the Korean 라고 or 란 ... :D

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » August 26th, 2007 1:03 pm

Any phrases you guys want to know in Korean among the phrases or words that you already know by heart in Japanese? :D

JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » August 26th, 2007 7:51 pm

もう一度お願いします、ゆっくりお願いします  :D

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » August 27th, 2007 5:38 pm

JockZon wrote:もう一度お願いします、ゆっくりお願いします  :D

"다시 한 번 부탁합니다. 천천히 부탁합니다."

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » August 28th, 2007 11:26 am

I'd like to know そう、ね。It always helps me when I don't understand something.

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » August 28th, 2007 11:35 am

「そう」 in Japanese is " 그래요 " or " 그래 " in Korean.

and

「ね」can have several equivalents,

but if you are saying 「ね」 to start a conversation,

you can say "근데,..." which literally means "by the way" or "but"

and if you are saying 「ね」at the end of a sentence to show or request agreement,

it can be "지" or the same "네"

for example,

暑い。 = 덥다

暑いね。 = 덥네.

暑いですね。 = 덥네요.

Alex Lee
New in Town

Postby Alex Lee » September 19th, 2007 1:09 pm

You've got some mistakes right off the bat that will only serve to confuse you later.

You can't just say all Japanese 助詞 = Korean 조사 because certain verbs take different particles.

です is not 입니다. 입니다 is more often used in front of a large audience (a newscaster broadcasting to the country, for example), or on a very clear social ladder (student to teacher), but even in cases like an employee to a boss, the 요 form is more common. です is used more often in Japanese than 입니다 is in Korean.

If you want to compare anything, you should stick to imported words. 漢字 vs. 한자 (or at least words derived from 한자). 動物 = 동물; 農場 = 농장; etc.

Overusing a crutch will result in atrophy, so be careful about the way you study a new language.

steved
Expert on Something

Postby steved » September 20th, 2007 5:03 pm

I think it can be very helpful to see the similarities between two languages. One could make an argument that English and other romance languages are similar in the same way that Japanese and Korean are similar. But if you look closer, the other Latin based languages all have much more in common with each other than they do with English. Having that Latin foundation, however, makes learning any of them that much easier but not the same. I learned this lesson the hard way when I found out that "manager" in French is not the same as "manager" in English... there are other ones there too...

Japanese and Korean share the same foundation of Chinese with many vocabulary words but the languages themselves are very different from Chinese (which in my limited knowledge is structured very similarly to English) as well as each other.
I have known Japanese native speakers who have said that 'they' don't use Chinese character combinations the same as Koreans do and vice versa even though there are many words that share the same roots (운동, 운전...). to me it is obvious that they do but this may not be the rule but rather the exception.

I am not familiar enough with Japanese to know but it seems to me that Korean has many more different levels of speech than Japanese. Is there a higher level of です that is used commonly like 입니다? One might not be justified making those kinds of direct comparisons but in general I don't see any big issue with it.
As for verb particles, are you hinting at transitive verbs vs. intransitive verbs like 끓다 vs. 끓이다? Learning a foreign language certainly helps to solidify all those English (or your native language of choice) lessons that didn't sink in the first time around (were slept through:).

So can making these kinds of comparisons really be considered a crutch? Or is it more like the Ah-ha moment of 투지 and gg? Interesting.

CarlKenner
Been Around a Bit

Postby CarlKenner » October 30th, 2007 4:41 pm

My favourite similarities are: (excuse my roomaji)

ga (subject particle) = ga (subject particle) or i (subject particle)
ka? (question particle) = kka? (question particle)
Although it took me a while to notice it had a double K in Korean.

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » November 6th, 2007 4:01 am

CarlKenner wrote:My favourite similarities are: (excuse my roomaji)

ga (subject particle) = ga (subject particle) or i (subject particle)
ka? (question particle) = kka? (question particle)
Although it took me a while to notice it had a double K in Korean.

These are my favorite similarities too, especially since I'm from Korea. These similarites make things easier for me when I study Japanese. :D

피터스
New in Town

Postby 피터스 » November 10th, 2007 5:52 am

안녕하세요(アンニョンハセヨ):

So, 「 하다 」 is similar to 「する」?
마크 피터스

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » November 10th, 2007 1:55 pm

피터스 wrote:안녕하세요(アンニョンハセヨ):

So, 「 하다 」 is similar to 「する」?

Exactly :D