a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Reading Hangul

Dave76
Been Around a Bit

Reading Hangul

Postby Dave76 » June 2nd, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi

Just curious on this as I know as a beginner I am sure I read Hangul much differently then someone who has been reading them for awhile or all their life.

But lets use Thank You again as example

감사합니다

OK this phrase is made of up 12 individual Hangul in 5 syllable blocks of 2-3 per block.

Now when I read this I have to really read each character individually in order to read it meaning just to read this one word takes me time so to read a news article say would just take forever.

When a native Korean or perhaps more advanced student reads these same words though do they tend to read each block as a block rather then 12 individual characters.

Not asking about sound as yes each character in a block has it's own sound but is more about recognition of the character blocks.

So mentally when you read say the first block do you tend to read it as

G-A-M

where you have to focus on each character or do you tend to just read the block

GAM

without having to focus on each character just because of being more fluent in reading?

I think character sets like Japan and Korean area always what freak me a little as they are very different then English alphabets even though many of the sounds are similar just their make up is so vastly different.

Thanks
Dave

community.korean
Expert on Something

Re: Reading Hangul

Postby community.korean » June 4th, 2017 4:21 am

Hi Dave,

Initially, when children learn Korean for the first time they will read it as G-A-M, and once they are used to the characters they will naturally read it as 'GAM'. The more you practice, the better you will get in reading the syllables as is, rather than putting together the consonant/vowel sounds individually.

Hope this was of help.
Best,
Lyn
Team KoreanClass101.com

Get 40% OFF
Dave76
Been Around a Bit

Postby Dave76 » June 4th, 2017 4:23 am

OK That's what I figure but at 47 years old I guess it's been awhile so forgot how it was when I started reading E-N-G-L-I-S-H HA HA HA HA :lol:

community.korean
Expert on Something

Postby community.korean » June 6th, 2017 1:30 am

Hi Dave,

Glad to have been of help! Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Lyn
Team KoreanClass101.com

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”