Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Translation help - Martial Arts Club - 풍백무술권

dragonballawesomer3121
New in Town

Translation help - Martial Arts Club - 풍백무술권

Postby dragonballawesomer3121 » December 4th, 2013 9:23 pm

Does 풍백무술권 make any sense as a name for a Martial Arts school?

My club is trying to figure out how to translate our name, "Poong Baek Martial Arts Academy" into Korean.

Poong Baek 풍백 is a proper name, (he's apparently the wind spirit from the myth of Tangun) and we were told the Korean Word for martial arts is 무술 "mushu" like "wushu" in Chinese---since we don't teach ONLY Tae Kwon Do, (in fact, we teach Kung Fu) this is probably appropriate?

We were also told to use Kwon instead of 학교 hak-gyo? for school...I'm wondering how Korean martial arts clubs are named...here, everything usually ends in "academy" or the name of the style that the school studies.

For example "Kang's Tae Kwon Do Academy". or "Plus Blossom Kung Fu"

I am wondering how schools are named in Korea... (For example, what would a Korean Tae Kwon Do club put on their uniform if they had the club name on it? If it were "Kang's Academy" would they just say "Kang's"?

Should we just call it 풍백무술 ? or 풍백무술권 ? or something totally different?

I don't want our club to get laughed out of tournaments. None of our instructors speak Korean very well, but we have a few Korean students--but I'm not sure they know enough to help very much...

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thank you!

- Aaron

korea.innovative
Been Around a Bit

Re: Translation help - Martial Arts Club - 풍백무술권

Postby korea.innovative » December 8th, 2013 7:15 am

Hey Aaron,

Hope our response isn't too late!!

If you mean it as in martial art academy - that would probably be better to be 무술원!

If it is 무술권, it recalls one of those genres? Or skills? within martial art.

For example, 취권 refers the skill that you use to disguise the other person with drunk action then suppress them when they are in loose situation! I think you may have seen such skill through drunken master?;)

So 풍백무술원 would be good!:)

Thank you

Madison
Team Koreanclass101.com
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”