Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Further Clarification. Need some pro-help here.

ian1104897958
New in Town

Further Clarification. Need some pro-help here.

Postby ian1104897958 » November 10th, 2013 5:05 am

Whenever I see 다가 I always see it used in typical examples like: 책을 읽다가 잠이 들었다 etc. These examples get really boring and redundant after a while. I know there are more ways of using 다가 than these typical model sentences which usually state some kind of an action with some immediate subsequent action that happened afterwards IN THE PAST.

However, I always hear 다가 and even 했다가 used in more complex patterns all the time - especially in the future tense. This brings me to the meat of what I'm trying to get at here. How can you use 다가 in the future tense - like ____하다가 ____을거야 etc etc. Are there any other contexts/tenses with which it can be used?

Can you give me examples/and rules in how I can use 다가 in the future?

Also, I remember talking to my 실장님 in a program that I go to about how I wanted to take a rest for a month and save money before re-applying for another session ... and she said 한달 동안 쉬었다가 (then you can come back and re-apply) ... So, this is another case of being able to use 었다가 in the future. What's the difference between saying that and 한달동안 쉬고 (and then reapply again)?

ilwoo214574
New in Town

Re: Further Clarification. Need some pro-help here.

Postby ilwoo214574 » November 16th, 2013 2:58 am

No one, nothing???

Get 40% OFF
kc101com
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby kc101com » November 16th, 2013 6:21 am

ian1104897958 wrote:Whenever I see 다가 I always see it used in typical examples like: 책을 읽다가 잠이 들었다 etc. These examples get really boring and redundant after a while. I know there are more ways of using 다가 than these typical model sentences which usually state some kind of an action with some immediate subsequent action that happened afterwards IN THE PAST.

However, I always hear 다가 and even 했다가 used in more complex patterns all the time - especially in the future tense. This brings me to the meat of what I'm trying to get at here. How can you use 다가 in the future tense - like ____하다가 ____을거야 etc etc. Are there any other contexts/tenses with which it can be used?

Can you give me examples/and rules in how I can use 다가 in the future?

Also, I remember talking to my 실장님 in a program that I go to about how I wanted to take a rest for a month and save money before re-applying for another session ... and she said 한달 동안 쉬었다가 (then you can come back and re-apply) ... So, this is another case of being able to use 었다가 in the future. What's the difference between saying that and 한달동안 쉬고 (and then reapply again)?

Hey Ian,

Sorry for the late response and it is good one! I understand where that comes from and it could be a blurred line.

But in general when it comes to the mix up of two different tenses, it does not go beyond one tense - what I mean by that is, grammatically, past + future sentence would not apply here.

Therefore, when your 실장님 said 쉬었다가 해 - that is because he wanted to use -해(in context of permission perhaps) and he had to use present tense in order to say that.

So the tense on previous verb had to be a past tense (쉬었다가 instead of 쉬다가).

Also it is possible that he said so because if he says 쉬다가 해, it could mean as in relax then do it for the current session that is going on.

I am sorry Ian that I may have not given you the clear answer and it quite requires the understanding of the context.

Please feel free to follow up with us if you still feel bit confused!

Thank you

Madison
Team Koreanclass101.com

ian1104897958
New in Town

Postby ian1104897958 » November 24th, 2013 8:31 am

Thanks for your reply :) Does that mean, 었다가/다가 can be used in the present and command form? Like ... "Do this, and then do this ..." ?

korea.innovative
Been Around a Bit

Postby korea.innovative » January 22nd, 2014 3:52 am

ian1104897958 wrote:Thanks for your reply :) Does that mean, 었다가/다가 can be used in the present and command form? Like ... "Do this, and then do this ..." ?

Hey Ian,

I would say in colloquial sense, it would be enough to communicate with but it may bring bit of difference on nuance.

었다가 may refer longer time than the 다가.

For example, if you say 조금 쉬었다가 하려구 vs 조금 쉬다 하려구

조금 쉬었다가 하려구 means i'm going to take some rest (bit longer) while 조금 쉬다 하려구 may be more like quick break.

Does this make sense to you?:)

Thank you

Madison
Team KoreanClass101.com

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”