Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Learning vocabulary

joshuanadon3960
New in Town

Learning vocabulary

Postby joshuanadon3960 » March 8th, 2012 12:29 am

안녕하세요! I've recently started to learn Korean, but I'm just not sure where to start on learning actual words. I was thinking of going out and buying an English to Korean dictionary, and honestly just reading that over and over again. Any tips on learning vocabulary?

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » March 8th, 2012 8:36 am

Hi Joshua;

The dictionary is not the best way to learn vocabulary. If you try to learn vocabulary just by studying the dictionary you will learn thousands of words that are rarely ever used; and even though there are example sentences in the dictionary these will not always show you the current or best use of the word.

Start with the lessons that are best suited to your level and practice the vocabulary in those lessons.

Keep a little pocket notepad and jot down the things you would like to be able to say and look those up.

Ask about the Korean words you hear most often and jot them down also.

Remember, you can't learn something if you aren't exposed to it so try to get as much input as possible.

Get 40% OFF
joshuanadon3960
New in Town

Postby joshuanadon3960 » March 8th, 2012 7:34 pm

The problem is being exposed to it... I live in Canada and not many people speak it. I have a few friends who are native Koreans, but it's hard to speak with them because they live in Korea and there's such a harsh time change.

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » March 9th, 2012 9:59 am

I understand.

Of course it is actually very difficult to get a large volume of input from native speakers, even if you are surrounded by them twenty-four hours a day. This is why you are so lucky to live in this day and age. There are so many great tools now for learning language; the Internet and lowly little mp3 player are two of the best friends a student of language can have. We often say "variety is the spice of life," and never is this truer than when it comes to learning a foreign language, so be sure to seek out diverse study materials. Korean television broadcast, drama, music, Internet resources (such as the mp3s on this site), children's books, and even a local Korean church can provide rich and varied input to enhance your language learning experience and help you attain your goals.

When I was first learning Korean we had only boring grammar books and vinyl records -- I used to listen to them as I fell asleep, but my record had a skip in it -- so that is why I still speak Korean with a stutter.. ㅋㅋㅋ :lol:

tky_intern_01
New in Town

Re: Learning vocabulary

Postby tky_intern_01 » March 19th, 2012 8:54 am

joshuanadon3960 wrote:안녕하세요! I've recently started to learn Korean, but I'm just not sure where to start on learning actual words. I was thinking of going out and buying an English to Korean dictionary, and honestly just reading that over and over again. Any tips on learning vocabulary?

Hi Joshua,

This is Madison from Koreanclass101.com

It is totally understandable that you feel abit frustrated how to actually learn Korean.

As trutherous has mentioned, only studying dictionary wouldn't help out much.

Besides the technology that we could use like lessons here, best way is to definitely have Korean friend!

I heard Canada is like half Asian. You are not from Vancouver or Toronto?

Or you could also try facebook or some social media that you could perhaps find who's Korean.

I know it takes effort but it would definitely bring you a good result in the end! :)

Also telling people around you that you are studying Korean would also help so you might get chance by the mutual friends!

Good luck! :)

Thank you,

Madison
Koreanclass101.com

chouclement1627
New in Town

Postby chouclement1627 » March 28th, 2012 7:19 am

joshuanadon3960 wrote:The problem is being exposed to it... I live in Canada and not many people speak it. I have a few friends who are native Koreans, but it's hard to speak with them because they live in Korea and there's such a harsh time change.

Hi there. Glad to see another Canadian here! Where are you from? Like has already been said I'm guesing you aren't from Vancouver or Toronto. I live in Vancouver and thre are tons of Koreans. lol I go to a church that has a large Korean ministry, and since I have friends there I go every week for the lunch and service. It's a great time to practice as well as hang round Korean people and just be in a Korean environment. If you know of any Korean gatherings like a Chuchor maybe a popular restaurant if there are any, i's perfect time to practice and learn vocab. I have the same problem as you, though. Grammar is easy to learn... but trying to find resources for vocabulary can be difficult. But i you have Korean friends, even emailing or facebook helps if you type in Korean. But keep at it and you will learn! Hwaiting! :D

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”