교과서-->교꽈서
사과 --> 사과
사건 --> 사껀
자장면 --> 짜장면

...맞나요?

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » January 16th, 2012 6:06 pm

I think you have a good ear -that's the way I often hear them -- but I suppose the answer you get might vary somewhat depending on the home province and age of the one speaking.

some things change too -- in the early days I learned 설겆이 "dish washing" (used to be pronounced 설것지) but now it is standardized to 설거지 which sounds kind of flat to my ears

Also, the news anchor will often read the teletype flatly as written, for example 기권승 " victoire par abstention" should sound like '기꿘승' but is often pronounced by the sports commentator just as it is spelled 기궈승

There are some official pronunciation rules, try doing a Google on 한국어 발음법 or similar search, but it may take some digging to sort out the results.

Get 40% OFF
orbiter
Expert on Something

Postby orbiter » January 17th, 2012 6:28 am

Thank you!

I consulted Google and was pointed to Naver dictionary. I think the jury's out on several cases.

효과 - Naver says that it is pronounced as is, but there are other sources which argue otherwise...

Interestingly, pronunciation can differ based on meanings of words. For instance:

비법 (祕法) - Secret method --> Pronounced as 비뻡.
비법(非法) - Illegal --> Pronounced as 비법.

주가 (株價) - Stock prices --> Pronounced as 주까.
주가 (住家) - Living quarters --> Pronounced as 주가.

Looks like English is not the only language with inexplicable exceptions...hahaha

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » January 17th, 2012 9:46 am

Looks like English is not the only language with inexplicable exceptions...hahaha

well yeah haha - it is a language and languages are, of course, living things -- anyway the pronunciation you learn from a native of Gwangju might get corrected by a person living in Busan (if they hear it coming from a foreigner) -- and vice-versa

a couple of interesting examples:

서산 (the city) --if you pronounce it as written almost nobody will understand you --I don't think the actual pronunciation can even be properly represented in Hangul it sounds something like 서-오 싼

-and-

해돋이 (sunrise) - which sounds like 해도지

so anyway I guess the best we can do is listen to and imitate native speakers as closely as possible

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”