a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

another korean question

kimdaejin
New in Town

another korean question

Postby kimdaejin » June 7th, 2011 4:07 am

hi guys, it's me again :wink:

I wonder what's the difference between 갔어요 and 갔었어요? which one exactly is the past tense? I suppose the first one is, right? Then what's the second one?

And I've seen 아직 멀었어요 quite several times. I know what it means, but I dont get why it's in past tense.

And another question! I'm a bit confused with that 는 and 은 as in past tense. Just now I saw this expression 화났는 줄 몰랐어in one of the lessons here. I wonder why not 화난 줄 몰랐어. With past tense, sometimes it's 했는,sometimes it's 한. Can you guys sort it out for me?

Thank you^^

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » June 7th, 2011 7:24 am

I wonder what's the difference between 갔어요 and 갔었어요? which one exactly is the past tense? I suppose the first one is, right? Then what's the second one?

And I've seen 아직 멀었어요 quite several times. I know what it means, but I dont get why it's in past tense.

And another question! I'm a bit confused with that 는 and 은 as in past tense. Just now I saw this expression 화났는 줄 몰랐어in one of the lessons here. I wonder why not 화난 줄 몰랐어. With past tense, sometimes it's 했는,sometimes it's 한.

While we are waiting for the native speakers to answer I will give my two cents (which could be inaccurate change)::
갔어요 - I went.
갔었어요? - I went there last time. I have been there before. I have already gone (there).

아직 멀었어요 -- you don't get why it's in the past tense haha "아직 멀어요" there happy now? :)
I don't know either -- what a great question.

화났는 줄 몰랐어 - I didn't know that you became angry (then?) (and maybe still are). Got angry and possibly continuing to the present.
화난 줄 몰랐어 - I didn't know that you are angry (now). In a present state of anger

Join by May 6th
orbiter
Expert on Something

Postby orbiter » June 7th, 2011 10:12 am

trutherous wrote:아직 멀었어요 -- you don't get why it's in the past tense haha "아직 멀어요" there happy now? :)
I don't know either -- what a great question.

Yeah you're right, it's a great question! 되게 궁금하네...

kimdaejin
New in Town

Postby kimdaejin » June 8th, 2011 6:55 am

화났는 줄 몰랐어 - I didn't know that you became angry (then?) (and maybe still are). Got angry and possibly continuing to the present.
화난 줄 몰랐어 - I didn't know that you are angry (now). In a present state of anger

I'm sorry I dont quite understand this part. Why does the anger happen now? Isn't it past tense??

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”