a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

전화하다

iuiu918401
New in Town

전화하다

Postby iuiu918401 » April 15th, 2011 12:30 pm

Hello! I have a question, I hope you can help me ^^

With the verb 전화하다, I have to use dative particle right?

Yesterday I called my mother -> 제가 어제 어머니께 전화했어요

Instead with the verb "to call" 부르다, I have to use object particle?

Thank you so much ^^

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » April 16th, 2011 9:01 am

Hi again -- wow you ask great questions.. you said:
Hello! I have a question, I hope you can help me ^^

Ok from the following

I understand you are asking about tense?

Code: Select All

------- -저화하겠다 - (I) will call
 누구에게, 누구한테, 누구께                   ---------------- -전화한다 - (I) do call, (I) am calling
                                                                           ------- -전화했다 - (I) did call, (I) called

누구와, 누구하고                                  --------------- -전화하고 있다 - (I am) in the midst of a call (i.e. currently talking)
~에게 = to
~한테 = to
~께    = to
~와    = with
~하고 = with

This next part of your question
confuses me slightly because you have compared 전화하다 with 부르다, and ask about use of the object particle, but it goes without saying that tense also applies to both these verbs. Anyway, 전화하다 is probably best thought of as "dialing a phone" or "making a phone call" TO someone, and 부르다 is perhaps best expressed as "inviting" somebody to come or join, so since you are inviting somebody you would use the object particle (부르다 also means "singing" as in 'singing a song' or to "call out with voice"). Some examples: 그 사람한테 전화했어요 = I made a phone call to him ( I called him). 그 사람을 불렀어요 = I called (invited) him. And finally here's a fun example 그 사람을 전화로 불렀어요 = I invited (called) him by telephone.

The object particle 를/을 is most commonly used with 부르다 to call "somebody" (i.e. somebody를 부르다) or to sing a song (노래를 부르다), but you may occasionally see variants of 부르다 used also with 로/으로 to say that something or someone is called by another name "this or that" Example: 그 산은 'widow-maker 산"으로 불러요 - "We call that mountain 'widow-maker mountain.'" or 그 산은 'widow-maker 산"으로도 불러요 -"We also call that mountain 'widow-maker mountain.'"

I may get some flack because of the examples I used but it was all I could think of on the spur of the moment. Anyway if the experts don't like it at least it gets them out of passive mode and teaching something useful. 메롱
Join by May 6th

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”