Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

A quick question regarding (verbing) or (verbing)..

johndramey
New in Town

A quick question regarding (verbing) or (verbing)..

Postby johndramey » March 29th, 2011 1:18 am

Hello there folks.

Been living in Korea for about 3 years, and self studying the whole time. So please forgive me for being quite low level. I'm not as diligent as I should be about my studies....

Anways, I have a quick question about construction a (1) or (2) sentence. Now I know that I can use N(이)나 N for a nounal construction, but what about verbs? Can I nominalize the verbs using ~기 or ~는 건?

Basically here is the question that I'm trying to answer correctly...

Q: 보통 집에서 무엇을 합니까?

And here is my (terrible wrong, I'm sure) answer.

A: 책을 읽기나 강아지랑 놀아요.

Should I continue the nominalization of 놀다 into 놀기/놀는것을?

Thanks for putting up with my question. I feel pretty bad about my Korean. I've been here for three years, and have basic survival Korean. I've been trying to learn more, but it's hard to find time with my work schedule/spending time with my girlfriend/dog.

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello johndramey,

Postby timandyou » March 29th, 2011 3:17 am

Hello johndramey,
This is Tim from KC101.com.

First, I have to say, "thanks for visiting our forum and leaving your question here!"
Your active effort toward Korean would encourage other listeners to feel free to leave their questions and comments here.

Second, you have been living in Korea for 3 years!!! where do you live in? Seoul? Kyung-gi-do?
(my home town is "Ansan". Have you heard of the name?) Where are you from? I guess... you are an English teacher, right?
(you don't need to answer me... :wink: :P :o )

Third, you wrote, "So please forgive me for being quite low level. I'm not as diligent as I should be about my studies"
Your Korean is good enough! Learning a new language is not an easy task. That's okay...
Please feel free to make any mistake here in this Forum! Here is my permission for you! (자~ 여기 있습니다! ^^ 받았지요?)

Fourth, you have a girl friend!? is she Korean? You even have a dog? is she/he Korean as well? ㅋㅋㅋ

Okay Last, about your question - the verbs using ~기 or ~는 건...

Q: 보통 집에서 무엇을 합니까?
A: 책을 읽기나 강아지랑 놀아요.

First, your sentences are great! See~, your Korean is good!!!
Second, your question should be divided by two parts - 1. the usage of --기, 2. the usage of 'Noun + (이)나 Noun'.

Okay. let's make it simple...
remember this - "verb stem + 기" is a NOUN! NOT a verb. just like playing, studying, doing, efc....
For ex, in the sentence of "playing is good", "playing" is a gerund, which is a noun in this case. Then, what's the main verb in this sentence? it's "is".

Now, let's translate "playing" into Korean. as you know, the verb "to play" is 놀다 in Korean. 놀 is the verb stem, and you add 기; so it becomes 놀 + 기 => 놀기, which becomes "a NOUN".
What about "doing"? as you know, the verb "to do" is 하다 in Korean. 하 is the verb stem, and you add 기; so it becomes 하 + 기 => 하기 "a noun".
what about "reading"? as you know, the verb "to read" is 읽기 in Korean. 읽 is the verb stem, and you add 기; so it becomes 읽 + 기 => 읽기 "a noun".

Okay, now let's talk about #2 - the usage of N + (이)나 N.
you wrote, "I know that I can use N(이)나 N for a nounal construction". That's good! It's much easier for me to explain...
1. N "reading" + (이)나 + N "doing" => 읽기나 하기.
2. N "playing" + (이)나 + N "eating" => 놀기나 먹기.

Now you come to know those two usages.
okay, go back to your original question...
Q: 보통 집에서 무엇을 합니까? => 보통 집에서 무엇을 하기를 좋아합니까?
A: 책을 읽기나 강아지랑 놀아요. => 책 읽기나 강아지랑 놀기를 좋아합니다.

okay... that's all~~~
Hope my explanation helps you understand better,
cheers,
Tim 8)

Join by May 6th
johndramey
New in Town

Postby johndramey » March 29th, 2011 8:28 am

팀씨, 고마워요. 저는 한국어를 많이 공부했는데, 아직도 조금 어렵다... ㅠㅠ.

저는 미국에서 왔어요. 제고향은 하와이예요. 3년 동안 서울에서 살고 지금은 명일동에서 살고 있어요. 안산을 아르지만 안 가 봤어요. 안산은 뭣으로 유명해요?

제여자친구는 한국인이지만, 영어를 잘 할수 있어요. 그래서 저는 한국말을 공부하는것이 어려워요. 제강아지도 한국인이다~~~. 팀씨, TV에 나오는 동물농장을 알라요? 아르면 슈나우저가 문제아이다고 알라요!

후~~~ 이제 영어를 써도 돼죠?

That took a while. Anyways, thanks for all your help. Sorry if the above is wrong/incomprehensible in any way. I'll try to be a more active member of the forum from now on :).

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello johndramey,

Postby timandyou » March 29th, 2011 8:44 am

반갑습니다 johndramey,
정작 제일 중요한 이름이 없군요... ㅋㅋㅋ
언어 배우는 것이 쉬우면 그게 틀린거죠...
아~~ 역시 미국에서 왔구나... "명일동"이라!??? 전 '동대문'만 다녀서... (제가 쇼핑을 좀 좋아하거든요...)
안산은... 옛날에는 '공장 지대'로 유명했는데... 지금은, "오이도"나 "대부도"가 관광으로 유명하죠...
그래서 여자 친구랑 영어로 대화를 하는구나!!! 여친의 영어 실력 향상에 도움을 많이 주겠네요...
혹시 John님은 영어 선생님 아니세요?? 한국에 미국이나 캐나다에서 오신 분들이 많아서...
"동물농장" 즐겨봅니다. 전 강아지를 좋아해서 '똥개'도 좋아해요...

이 표현 정말 맘에 드는군요! - "제 강아지도 한국인이다" ㅋㅋㅋ

Don't be sorry for anything! Feel free to make a lot of mistakes here. That's the easiest and fastest way to improve Korean.
위에 설명이 어려웠어요!?? 와~~ 그래도 정말 (최선을 다해서) 쉽게 쓴건데...

사실... 한국어를 빨리 배우기 위해서 (무조건) 알아야 할 것들이 몇 가지 있어요...
그것들을 습득하고 나면 한국어를 배우는 것이 아마도 지금보단 훨씬 재밌고 쉬워질거에요...
제가 그것들을 하나 둘씩 "Forum"에 적어놓고 있으니 그것들을 꼭, 꼭, 꼭, 참고하세요~~
혹시 질문 있으시면 편하게 남겨 주시고요...
그럼 이만... 즐겁게 한국어 공부하세요...
cheers,
Tim 8)

ps. 제가 만들고 있는 Lower Intermediate Season 2 를 들어보시면 아마도 한국어 공부가 재밌어 질거에요~~
그것이 너무 쉬우면 제가 만든 Advanced Audio Blog Season 5 도 한번 들어보세요...
감사합니다.

johndramey
New in Town

Postby johndramey » March 29th, 2011 10:21 am

팀씨, 한 번 도 안녕하세요~ 저는 지금 학원에 있고 일하고 있지만 학생이 결석해서 조금 또 썰 수 있어요. 팀의 추측이 맞으세요. 저는 영어 선생님이에요. 혹시 팀씨는 Pagoda학원을 아르세요? 저는 Pagoda Direct English에 다녀요. 원래 YBM ECC학원에 다녔지만 2년뒤에 아이들을 좀 싫어해서 학원을 바꿌어요.

저도 동대문시장을 알라요! 사실 1년 동안 답십리에서 살았어요. 답십리는 동대문동에 있어요. 명일동은 서을의 변두리에 있어서 팀씨는 명일동을 몰라도 되세요~

원래 저는 Subscribe했지만 요즘에 너무 바빠서 안 하고 있어요. 잘 못 했어요~~ 요즘에 한국어를 더 열심히 공부하고 싶으니깐 아마도 다시 subscribe 할꺼야.

후.. 다시 힘들어요... 그리고 10분후에 학생이 다시 올 거예요. 그래서...... 뵹~

아, 마지막 질문이 있어요. 혹시 무한도전을 좋아하세요? ㅋㅋ

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » March 29th, 2011 4:14 pm

Hello everyone. :)
I just stopped by in order to let you know the easier way using two or more verbs.
That is...
verb stem + 거나

책을 읽거나 강아지랑 놀아요
밥을 먹거나 빵을 먹어요
공부를 하거나 잠을 자요
etc...

Hope this helps!
Good day~!!

Sean.
;-)

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » March 29th, 2011 6:01 pm

That was great Sean -- thanks! Short - concise - to the point - not long-winded, and most of all "useful!" Great examples too.

Hi johndramey. Nice to meet you. I am George -- a fellow student here at KC101. I really envy you being able to teach English there in Korea. I'm eager to hear about your teaching experiences. Please visit the forum often --I know they are sick of seeing my name always plastered all over here.

johndramey
New in Town

Postby johndramey » March 29th, 2011 10:22 pm

manyakumi wrote:Hello everyone. :)
I just stopped by in order to let you know the easier way using two or more verbs.
That is...
verb stem + 거나

책을 읽거나 강아지랑 놀아요
밥을 먹거나 빵을 먹어요
공부를 하거나 잠을 자요
etc...

Hope this helps!
Good day~!!

Sean.
;-)

Thanks a ton for that, very helpful. I've been wondering about a solid way of making multiple verbs.

I'll try to be a little more active in the forums now. About 2 years ago I registered here and listened to the audio files/studied with them every day. No I'm just too busy with my work to do much in the way of studying (or too lazy!).

And trutherous, if you have any questions about teaching please feel free to ask me. I've been here for quite a while, and have taught both children and adults. I'm currently teaching one-on-one business English, but that is because I burned out on teaching children.

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello everyone,

Postby timandyou » March 30th, 2011 1:26 am

I'd just like to say, "Thank you all~~!!"
that's it!
best,

Tim 8)

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”