Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

하는 것이 = 하는 게???

Gudrun
Established Presence

하는 것이 = 하는 게???

Postby Gudrun » March 18th, 2011 8:36 pm

Is 하는 게 the shortened form of 하는 것이? Does it mean "something to do"?

The sentence I have is "미국에 가면 뭐 하는 게 좋아요?" What's good to do if I go to America? Is that the correct translation?

Some of the contractions get a little confusing for me. I wish somebody had a reference list of them!

Thanks for any help.

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » March 19th, 2011 6:03 am

Is 하는 게 the shortened form of 하는 것이?

yes it is, just drop ㅅ and ㅇ and move the ㅣ over

your translation is technically correct but the nuance looks more like "What would be fun to do if I go to the US?" to me.

thanks for keeping the forum alive --

Join by May 6th
Gudrun
Established Presence

Postby Gudrun » March 19th, 2011 10:01 pm

Thank you for answering so many of my questions! You're very generous with your time and knowledge.

julialim
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby julialim » March 24th, 2011 6:06 am

조지 님... 저도 몰랐어요 :roll:

항상 쓰던 말이니 딱히 의식을 안 하다보니... 와우~~~ 짝짝짝!!!

Thank you George!!

timandyou
Expert on Something

Thanks trutherous, Gudrun, julialim

Postby timandyou » March 28th, 2011 8:05 am

언제나 그렇듯... 든든합니다, 조지님...
줄리아님도 든든하죠... ㅎㅎㅎ

It's about "VERB + ~~ing" in English....
just like the "~~ing", Korean has the same rule called, "VERB STEM + ~~는 것" or "VERB STEM + ~~는 게"

Here is an example,
hm... what about... if you want to say, "It'd better start eating 불고기"
"eating" is not a verb here. It's "a gerund".
Its, "eating", translation in Korean is 먹는 것 or 먹는 게.

How? why?
It's simple! the verb - "to eat" - is 먹다. 먹 is the verb stem, and you add 는 것 or 는 게 => it becomes 먹 + 는 것 or 먹 + 는 게 => 먹는 것 / 먹는 게

What about this then - "seeing is believing"?
What is the verb here? the main verb is "is"!!! Both "seeing" & "believing" are gerunds.
Let's translate the sentence then,
"seeing" => 보다 "to see". 보 is the verb stem, and you add 는 것 or 는 게 => 보 + 는 것 / 보는 게 => 보는 것 / 보는 게.
"believing" => 믿다 "to believe". 믿 is the verb stem, and you add 는 것 or 는 게 => 믿 + 는 것 / 믿 + 는 게 => 믿는 것 / 믿는 게.
Now its translation is a piece of cake!!!
"seeing" 보는 것이 or 보는 게
"believing" 믿는 것 or 믿는 게.
Therefore, "seeing is believing" is 보는 것이 믿는 것이다. (we don't say 믿는 게이다).

I hope my explanation helps,
Thank you all~~~
best,
Tim 8)

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » March 28th, 2011 5:27 pm

I will acknowledge that I jumped to a conclusion if I implied that all variants of 게 are contractions of 것이 and are always interchangeable, they are not. 하지만 약자로 '건, 걸, 게, 다 가능하지 않아요?

Therefore, "seeing is believing" is 보는 것이 믿는 것이다. (we don't say 믿는 게이다).

and that makes 이다 (in your example) the main verb (본동사), and separate from the "ing" meaning that you eloquently illustrated with "seeing and believing." Also I agree that the use of the contracted form '게' before the final verb 이다 creates an awkward sentence, similar (but not the same) to the awkwardness created with 나는 할아버지이다 which makes the '이" sound somewhat superfluous and unnatural, while 나는 할아버지다 (simply adding 다) is a pattern I have heard with some degree of frequency.

그래서 "보는 것이 믿는 게다" 라고도 말할 수 있지 않겠습니까? 옛말이나 사투리 처럼 들리겠지만 많이 듣던 문형인 것 같은데요. Of course I'm not meaning to confuse this 게다 with the pattern ~ 있을 게다 --although in that pattern also the substitution of 것이다 still makes perfect sense to me.

있는 게 없는 것보다 났다 to have is better than not having 있는 것이 없는 것보다 났다, however when the subject itself is no longer simply 'possessing things,' or requires some emphasis or contrast, it seems to read better using the contrast particle form "것은" 예: 있는 것은 없는 것보다 났다 - 아니면 - '뭐뭐' 있는 것은 없는 것보다 났다.

보는 게 믿는 것이다.
보는 것이 믿는 게다.. (알았어예?)
보는 게 믿는 게다. (ok that sounds weird)
보는 것이 믿는 것이다... 정말? ㅋㅋㅋ

보이는 것은 잠깐이오 보이지 않은 것은 영원함이니라 :shock:

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello George,

Postby timandyou » March 29th, 2011 1:45 am

하하하~~ ^^
Yes, you could say, "보는 것이 믿는 게다" ㅋㅋㅋ ㅎㅎㅎ ^o^
The main issue here is not about what is right and what is wrong, but about the usage of "~~ing" = ~~는 게 / 는 것.
That's all!

George, do you know a Korean company named "Hyundai"?
I bet you do!

Have you seen their ad? In the end of their ad, they often say, "seeing is believing".
That's why I used that example! :wink: :o :D
George님, 조지님의 설명도 너무 좋았습니다.
단지 스타일이 다른 것뿐이니 너무 신경쓰지 마세요...
조지님이 알다시피 언어에 "정답"이란 없는 것이니까요...
언제나 감사드려요~~ ^^
best,

Tim 8)

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » March 29th, 2011 7:09 am

George, do you know a Korean company named "Hyundai"?
I bet you do!

Have you seen their ad? In the end of their ad, they often say, "seeing is believing".
That's why I used that example! Wink Surprised Very Happy

물론 내가 현데회사, 특히 현대 자동차, 잘 아는데, 아마 이제 온 세계에 사는 사람들은 알고 있을 게다 - 인기가 많아서 - 안 그래요? 그런데 아까 'Seeing is believing'은 너무 전문적인 예문이라서 영어 강습에서 들으셨다고 생각했어요. :)

현대 means "modern" --but why is it that most English speakers seems to have a problem pronouncing the y in Hyundai -- ㅋㅋ When Hyundai cars were first introduced here in the United States I actually heard a news announcer pronounce 'Hyundai' as '하윤대' ㅋㅋㅋ and all the rest of the US seem to think it should be pronounced '헌대' hehehe

BTW ---- I am so glad you are back Tim!!!!!!! :D

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”