a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Halp Again!

sunny003
Been Around a Bit

Halp Again!

Postby sunny003 » February 24th, 2011 4:51 pm

안영하세요,
Can someone translate this name "Ish" to korean I dont know if it is correct 있 으 ?

고맙슴니다 !!

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » February 24th, 2011 7:41 pm

Hi again,

In short:

You could get some differences of opinion depending on how you pronounce "Ish" - I myself being a native speaker of American English would pronounce "Ish" like the 'ish' at the end of English, I would say you are very close with "있으" (itsu) but at first glance I was thinking "이시" or "있이" or "있시" would be a better match based on my pronunciation of 'ish."

The long of it (rambling):

As you are probably already aware, in Hangul many single syllable sounds cannot be expressed effectively in a single syllabic group, but rather requiring two syllabic groups to express what is considered a single syllable in some other language tends to produce those awkward sounding Koreanizations of certain words. A good example is the case of my English name, "George" which they must break into two syllables '조지.' Now in the case of "Ish" (Hebrew for man/humankind/person??) in Korean there is no 'ih' sound as there is in 'English' and the word 'it.' So what can be done? -- A substitution must be made with the closest possible sound match, in this case '이' which sounds like a long 'e,' and then a leading vowel sound may be slightly modified in a syllabic group by adding certain final consonants, as you did by adding ㅆ, ergo "있" while not changing the actual vowel sound, this effectively shortens the duration of the leading vowel and lends a potential ㅅ sound to the next syllabic group. Then of course we can follow with what we hope will provide a similar finish, in this case I think '시' is the best match, '이' would be a good match, and perhaps not '으' ...

Have a great day studying and practicing Korean!

George - AKA 나영훈

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello Sunny003 & George,

Postby timandyou » February 25th, 2011 1:53 am

Thanks for leaving the comment, Sunny!
Thanks for the quick response, George!

George spent a lot of time on replying Sunny's question; what's more, his explanation is good enough (I think...)
Thank you, George :P

Okay, Sunny... I will make it short and quick with your question.
You wrote, "Can someone translate this name "Ish" to korean?"

I'll simply translate "Ish" into Korean.
이 [i] + 쉬 [shwi] = 이쉬 [i-shwi] "Ish"

That's all!
Thank both, Sunny & George,
cheers,
Tim 8)

sunny003
Been Around a Bit

Postby sunny003 » February 25th, 2011 6:03 am

You guys are really fantastic! Thanks for always being there.

여러분, 고맙슴니다 !!

ChiWai
New in Town

Postby ChiWai » February 25th, 2011 6:19 am

Hmm is this the same as the Korean name Lee? I've started to notice that a lot of Lee's are really named 이

timandyou
Expert on Something

Postby timandyou » February 25th, 2011 8:58 am

Yes, we are~~!!! :P :P :P
(don't you think so, Goerge!??? :wink:)

Please feel free to leave any comment or question.
cheers,

BTW, Hello ChiWai...
Yes, 이 [i] means "Lee" in English. "Lee" 이 is one of the most commonly used 'family' names!
cheers,
Tim 8)

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”