Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Korean Grammer

enileda34173
New in Town

Korean Grammer

Postby enileda34173 » February 20th, 2011 6:27 am

what is the difference between using iyo/yo and ieyo/yeyo? Both are attached at the end of the sentence to make the sentence sounds more polite? so when should iyo/yo be used and when should ieyo/yeo be used?

Also, for i/ga introduce in lesson 24 of newbie season 1, it is used as subject marking particle. Which is the same as eul/reul. Similarly, when should eul/reul be used and when should i/ga be used?

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » February 20th, 2011 6:31 pm

what is the difference between using iyo/yo and ieyo/yeyo? Both are attached at the end of the sentence to make the sentence sounds more polite? so when should iyo/yo be used and when should ieyo/yeo be used?

My suggestion on this one is to send the first part of your question in a message to the user manyakumi -I'm sure he can explain in detail which to use and when.

Also, for i/ga introduce in lesson 24 of newbie season 1, it is used as subject marking particle. Which is the same as eul/reul. Similarly, when should eul/reul be used and when should i/ga be used?

This part of your question has a minor misunderstanding, the marker particle eul/reul 을/를 is an object marker (receives action) not a subject marker.

It may help you to keep these three pairs in mind 이/가, 은/는, 을/를; to oversimplify:

이/가 - plain subject marker (typically, but not always: passive performer/3rd person)
차가 고장났어요 - The car broke down.
내가 거기에 갔어요. - I went there.

은/는 - contrast subject marker (typically, but not always: active performer i.e. "this subject" does such-and-such, or to show contrast as opposed to, or to a greater extent than some other possible performer of said action)
나는 거기에 갑니다 - I am going there. 나는 거기에 갔어요 - I(regardless of some possible others) went there.

을/를 - recipient of action of the performer:
나는 그녀를 사랑해요 - I love her.
그녀는 나를 사랑해요 - She loves me.

그녀가 나를 사랑한댔어요 - She said 'she' loves me.

내가 - I
나는 - I
나를 - Me

그녀가 - She
그녀는 - She
그녀를 - Her

English has no such markers so in the case of "you" so it can be confusing for Koreans trying learning English:

당신이 - You
당신은 - You
당신을 - You

That makes Korean a bit more precise than English, don't you think?

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello enileda34173,

Postby timandyou » February 21st, 2011 2:14 am

Hello enileda34173,
This is Tim from KC101.com.
Thanks for leaving the comment and question.
I have to write a book to clearly explain your question...
HOWEVER, here is one thing you can do for yourself.

Why don't you give a listen to 'Absolute Beginner Season 2 Lesson 3 & 4'?
Those lessons are about 'Subject & Topic Marking Particles' - Lesson 3 & 'Object Marking Particles' - Lesson 4.
I made and created lessons easier for listeners (beginners) to understand that grammatical points.
After listening to them, if you have more questions in your mind, please leave them here again,
I will personally response you.

BTW, George's explanation is very good as well above! "Thank you George!!! :P"
cheers,
Tim 8)

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Re: Korean Grammer

Postby manyakumi » February 21st, 2011 5:21 am

enileda34173 wrote:what is the difference between using iyo/yo and ieyo/yeyo? Both are attached at the end of the sentence to make the sentence sounds more polite? so when should iyo/yo be used and when should ieyo/yeo be used?

There is no functional difference.
ieyo/yeyo is more formal(written) and polite slightly.

However, it would be little bit awkward to use iyo/yo for standing alone statement.
I mean... you'd better use them only for answers.
Because it might sound a bit rude sometimes.

Ex.
A) 안녕하세요, 제 이름은 선재예요. (O) 선재요.(X)
B) 죄송합니다. 성함이 뭐라고 하셨죠?
A) 선재요. (O) 선재예요. (O)

A) 이 티셔츠들 중에 제일 잘 팔리는 게 무슨 색이에요? (O) 색이요? (X)
B) 파란색이요. (O) 파란색이에요. (O)

Hope this helps.
Sean

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello Manyakumi,

Postby timandyou » February 21st, 2011 5:56 am

Hello 김 감독님, :P
좋은 답변 감사드립니다.

Hello enileda34173,
Their (George and Manyamuki) explanation is really good! Don't you think so...!?
We are so lucky to have them in KC101.com.
Best,
Tim 8)

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”