a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Reading Hangul

enileda34173
New in Town

Reading Hangul

Postby enileda34173 » December 21st, 2010 2:19 pm

Hi all,

I am new here and have gone thru the 4 videos of the hangul.

I reading hangul heavily dependent on the memorising of the english such as remembering ㅓ as 'a'.

But when it comes to ㅂ, should it be b or p? or ㄱshould it be g or k?

such as 먹being k in meokgesseumnida and g in meogeosseumnida?

When is it k and when is it g? Is it dependent on the syllables following after it?

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Re: Reading Hangul

Postby manyakumi » December 21st, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi, :-)
Let me tell you something you should know.
And it's very important.

enileda34173 wrote:But when it comes to ㅂ, should it be b or p? or ㄱshould it be g or k?

ㅂ sounds ㅂ and it can't be sounded as same as b or p.
So does ㄱ as well.
You have to understand this.

enileda34173 wrote:such as 먹being k in meokgesseumnida and g in meogeosseumnida?

먹겠습니다 > 머 ㄱ+ㄱ ㅔ ㅆ+ㅅㅡ ㅂ+ㄴ ㅣ 다 > 머 께 쓰 ㅁ니 다 > 머께씀니다
먹었습니다 > 머 ㄱ ㅓ ㅆ+ㅅㅡ ㅂ+ㄴ ㅣ 다 > 머 거 쓰 ㅁ니 다 > 머거씀니다

Sounds rules like these.
The first ㅇ in a syllable has no sound.

Let's wait for the better answers.
Sean
:-)

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello enileda34173 & manyakumi,

Postby timandyou » December 22nd, 2010 1:47 am

Thank you, enileda34173, for giving a listen to "the 4 videos of the hangul".
Hello, Manyakumi~~ "thanks for the quick reply on this comment!"

Hello, enileda34173...
I do understand that you want to speak 'perfect' Korean like many native Korean...
Here is my question to you...

"what's your purpose of learning Korean?"
is it for your pleasure or for fun?
or is it for academic reason?

If your reason is for pleasure or for fun, then I have to say to you, 먹겠습니다 is pronounced as [meo-gge-seum-nida] 머께슴니다.
However, if your reason is for academic reason or business reason, I have to say that you have to practice to pronounce 먹겠습니다 as it is [meok-get-seub-nida]. why? simply think like this... let's say I am trying to write an academic essay as each word is pronounced - romanization. There is NO WAY that I can a good result.

Yes, of course, speaking is very important!
However, the fact is that Korean people would understand (or you would have no problem to communicate with Korean) your saying 머께슴니다, 머겟슴니다, 머껬습니다, 먹겟습니다, 먹께씁니다, 머께씀니다, efc...

My point is this!
Do not focus on speaking Korean naturally. "It will come to you naturally and gradually!"
For example, about 먹겠습니다... let's pronounce this word as it is written [meok-get-seub-nida]
Now let's practice this word both in writing and speaking... you write this word while speaking out loud. do it ten times, twenty times, even more...
Okay. stop now! now you know the word - 먹겠습니다 - very well.
Can you pronounce it a bit faster? of course, you can.
How about a bit faster... faster.... faster...??? you will find yourself that you pronounce this word, 먹겠습니다, as [meoggesseumnida] 머께씀니다. Now you know its correct spelling and its natural way of saying a word.

There are tons of rules on Korean pronunciation.
I am sure that you will forget many of rules even though I teach you all of them.
What's more... even Korean people speak words differently and, they have no problem to communicate each other.
All you have to do is to listen more and write them correctly and often say each word and sentence (a lot).
I hope that you wouldn't too much focus on pronunciation.

Here is my recommendation for you to study Korean.
Let's say you want to say this sentence - 전 팀하고 밥을 먹겠습니다. "I will have a meal with Tim"
Do your best to write them correctly in Korean and practice speaking [jeon timhago babeul meokgetseubnida] while writing it 전 팀하고 밥을 먹겠습니다.
keep practicing it. five times, ten times, and more...
Okay... now you understand the meaning of each word and the sentence; what's more, you are able to write the whole sentence perfectly.
Okay, now, let's casually speak the sentence one time, twice, three times, ten times... while speeding up.
You will see yourself saying like this - 전 팀하꼬 바블 머께씀니다. [jeon timhaggo babeul meoggesseumnida] "I will have a meal with Tim".
Now this sentence is yours! You know its correct writing, meaning, and natural pronunciation. "Congratulation!"

What I don't want you to do is... that you write this English sentence - "I will have a meal with Tim" as 전 팀하꼬 바블 머께씀니다 in Korean.

You want to know the rules of K-pronunciation!?
Here is my answer! Write the sentence correctly and say it many times.
cheers,
Tim 8)

enileda34173
New in Town

Postby enileda34173 » December 22nd, 2010 5:10 am

Thanks manyakumi and timandyou for the reply.

I understand that even when the consonant is b,p there is no difference between the pronunication in korean. However, the way i am learning now is to look at the korean hangul and write it in romanization so that it is easier for me to remember the words in korean. This makes me hesistate when i should write the romanization in g or k and b or p (although the pronunciation is the same).

Timandyou, i am learning it for fun and i am enjoying it and i agree, the best way to learn it is to practice often and let it come naturally. Thanks for the advises.

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello enileda34173,

Postby timandyou » December 22nd, 2010 6:25 am

고맙습니다, "thank you for the comment!"
cheers,
Tim 8)

"Merry Christmas~!"

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”