Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

clever

iDoof
Established Presence

clever

Postby iDoof » December 12th, 2010 5:51 pm

I looked up the Korean word for "clever" but there are a few options, and I'd like to know which one is best for what I'm trying to say:

Say I made a pun or some witty remark, and decided later that it really wasn't that clever (lol)...how would I say something like, "I thought I was being clever...but I guess not")

Whatever sounds the most natural would be cool.....thanks!!

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » December 12th, 2010 6:33 pm

"...how would I say something like, "I thought I was being clever...but I guess not"

:lol: Considering the many occasions I put my foot in my mouth and have to take back or explain the stupid things I say, I'm surprised that I don't know this one by heart. :lol:

It will be interesting to see what Sean and Tim have to say, who knows, maybe even Julia will weigh in on this one.

The fact that you are seeking the proper expression for this thought is commendable.

There are usually at least 20 different ways to convey any given thought, narrowing it down to the best choice is determined by circumstance, culture, and finally individual preference. As foreign speakers of a language we should try to avoid carrying over our former thought patterns and cultural reference into the new language, otherwise we are still thinking in the mother language and will never be able to convey the nuance from one language to the other. Although sometimes we do come up with fun and interesting expressions when we translate a thought or expression in the literal sense. Imagine trying to translate the expressions above that I have outlined in bold.

Ok - Here is the literal translation that came to mind when I read your sample sentence:

난 영리한 짓을 하고 있다는 걸 알았는데 그렇지 않나 봐요. (I thought I was being clever...but I guess not)

You could say this but I doubt your exact meaning and nuance would be conveyed to the listener. I would probably say something much simpler depending on the circumstance. If it offended someone I might say 죄송해요 말실수였어요 If it was simply not understood and met with puzzled looks and I could not explain my original 'pun' I might say 아니 아무것도 아니였는데 그냥 헛소리였어요."

Anyway -- I think it is so great to see your interest and enthusiasm in learning Korean! Keep up the good work!

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
iDoof
Established Presence

Postby iDoof » December 12th, 2010 9:16 pm

Thanks for your reply,

To be clear, this is more casually self-effacing, like, "Huh, I guess it wasn't really that witty...lol lol"

I could say something like, "I thought I was being funny, but maybe I wasn't...."

"난 되게 웃긴다고 생각해서 했는데, 지금 생각해 보니까 이나네...."

But it's not that I thought it was funny, it's more that I thought my play-on-words was really clever or witty...so I was hoping there was a phrase with the word "clever" or "witty" that sounds natural.

Maybe someone else could confirm our uncertainties. Is it ok to use "영리한" in this way?

난 되게 영리하다고 생각해서 했는데 지금 생각해 보니까 이나네 = "I thought I was being clever when I said that, but now that I think about it, maybe not"

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello iDoof,

Postby timandyou » December 13th, 2010 12:49 am

Good to see you here iDoof,

you wrote,
"Say I made a pun or some witty remark, and decided later that it really wasn't that clever (lol)...how would I say something like, "I thought I was being clever...but I guess not")"

I think... the best translation would be "똑똑한" or "영리한"
"I though I was being clever.... but I guess not"
난 내가 똑똑한 줄 알았었는데... 아니였네...
난 내가 영리한 줄 알았었는데... 아니였구나...

If i have to choose between two, I would choose 똑똑한 better.
When you describe yourself like, "I am clever, I am smart", we often say "난 똑똑해" rather than saying "난 영리해"
However, when you describe someone "who is clever or smart", we often say "그는 영리해" rather than saying "그는 똑똑해"
iDoof, After all... one of both is fine!
Personally I like "똑똑한" better because it sounds much more natural and funnier.
cheers,
Tim 8)

ps. 영훈님, WOW~~! What a great comment! Thanks for doing all that! best,

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » December 13th, 2010 2:58 am

ps. 영훈님, WOW~~! What a great comment! Thanks for doing all that! best,

Tim, you know the Darth Vader theme music right? Think about it .. let it come to mind..

'''bom bom bom.. bom ba bom.. bom ba bom"

Ok now picture Darth Vader's voice (complete with artificial respiration sounds):

"pish-kaa pish-kaa TIM YOUR FLATTERY WILL BE YOUR UNDOING pish-kaa pish-kaa"

Haha hahaha hahaha... What? You don't get it?

거.. 참.. 재밌는 이야기를 들려준다고 생각했지만 헛소리였군요.

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello George,

Postby timandyou » December 13th, 2010 4:27 am

Hahaha~~ :lol: :P :wink:

Hahaha, funny! "pish-kaa pish-kaa TIM YOUR FLATTERY WILL BE YOUR UNDOING pish-kaa pish-kaa"
To be honest, yes it was my flattery! But, i really do thank you, George! (this is not my flattery!!!).
조지님, 제가 많은 도움을 신재님과 영훈님께 받는다는 것은 사실입니다 (아~~ 줄리아님 또한^^).
즐거운 한주 보내세요~~,
best,
Tim 8)

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”