Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Learning 제주말

yumemirareru6803
New in Town

Learning 제주말

Postby yumemirareru6803 » November 5th, 2010 3:55 pm

Hey all. Does anyone know a good resource for learning the Cheju dialect (제주말)? I'd help me tons if anyone knows some decent ones and could share (English resources preferred, of course, but if it's simple/straightforward enough, Korean should be ok too. That is, nothing that reads like a linguistics thesis please :P)

Thanks

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » November 6th, 2010 1:23 pm

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
yumemirareru6803
New in Town

Postby yumemirareru6803 » November 6th, 2010 3:09 pm

Hehe, yes, those two ones I've seen :)

I was hoping there'd be some more in depth/thorough information somewhere... Although that increasingly seems like it might be too much to hope for :S Thanks for looking around though.

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » November 6th, 2010 11:29 pm

I was in Jeju last year and it seemed like 50% of the people there are from other parts of Korea, and do not speak 제주도 사투리, those that did use the dialect understood me just fine when I spoke 표준말 to them. It seemed to me that most (not all) of the nouns were the same, so the largest differences I noticed were in the final verb form. The only problem I had communicating in Korean in Jeju was when I greeted a couple in the elevator of the hotel... and they turned out to be Japanese.

Jeju -- I just had to go see it because everyone praised its beauty. I wanted to climb 한라산 because that scene from 내 이름은 김삼순 drama had been stuck in my head. But what did I think of the REAL Jeju? It was overpriced, but I suppose being a California native I have no right to complain about other places being too expensive; however. as a California native I found the scenery a bit mediocre, a far cry from the 'breathtaking beauty' I had heard so much about. It was not much different from our Catalina Island on a clear day, also we have a thing out here called "the west coast" with scattered beaches that span the three states along the western border of our nation .. so... I guess I'm hard to impress when it comes to coastline.

Those stone statues that remind me of garden gnomes really cracked me up -- I dared not share my impression of these phallic pygmies, perhaps it is just my western side that interprets art in this manner, but alas I could not help but notice that their heads looked a wee bit circumcised.

yumemirareru6803
New in Town

Postby yumemirareru6803 » November 7th, 2010 12:07 am

Interesting story!

And yes, I know it's dying out and those that do still speak some can understand the Seoul-standard Korean just fine and speak it pretty well as well. Still, I'd like to learn about it/it anyway...

From what I understand, the older versions have a very different vocabulary while younger speakers of the language are tending to normalize it towards the standard dialect. I also know it's not of that much practical value. Even so, I've become pretty curious about it.

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello yumemirareru6803,

Postby timandyou » November 8th, 2010 1:17 am

Even many Korean couldn't understand Je-ju conversation (제주도 말)
하하~~ cheers,

Tim 8)
Last edited by timandyou on November 8th, 2010 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » November 8th, 2010 4:04 am

Even many Korean could understand Je-ju conversation (제주도 말)
하하~~ cheers,

I think Tim meant 'couldn't' or 'can't' ... but I suppose many 'could, can, may, or 'do' understand it as well.

One of the other problems I had was that the people I spoke with in Jeju tended to speak softly, with the words barely falling outside the mouth. I understand much better when people speak forcefully, with full enunciation.

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello George,

Postby timandyou » November 8th, 2010 6:11 am

yes, i meant "can't" or "couldn't"
even I don't understand their conversation when they speak to me...
cheers,

Tim 8)

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”