Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

resource

iDoof
Established Presence

resource

Postby iDoof » October 24th, 2010 3:57 am

Is there a Korean word for "resource"...specifically when a person is a good resource?

i.e. My friend knows a lot about that, so he'd be a good resource...

Thanks!!!

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » October 24th, 2010 6:40 am

of course there is a Korean word for resource, a couple of words in fact, also there an expression like "something/someone to lean/depend on" you can find those easily enough on the Naver dictionary site http://dic.naver.com/ RESOURCE but when it comes to your sample sentence you run into cultural differences when trying to use the word "resource" in that way. In Korean the sentence example you gave could be more accurately translated "My friend knows a lot about that, so he'd be the one to ask" or "My friend knows a lot about that, so it would be best to ask him" or "My friend knows a lot about that, so we can trust what he says" because when you say your friend knows a lot about something that sort of automatically makes him a good resource.

내 친구가 그것 대해서 많이 아니까 그분한테 물어보는 게 좋겠어요.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
iDoof
Established Presence

Postby iDoof » October 24th, 2010 3:36 pm

Thanks.

I see your point. In that example, it probably would be best to express it that way.

But say I want to express that 2 people would be a good resource for each other (e.g. one knows tennis well but wants to learn golf, the other is the opposite): "I think you guys would be a good resource for each other."

How would one express that in Korean? My guess is that there would be some noun form of "resource" that could apply to people...but maybe not?

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » October 24th, 2010 4:53 pm

We are often tempted to think 'there's got to be word that is the equivalent of ~~' and there is always a word, or a group of words, but a literal match is not always a good cultural match, as you know.

서로 좋은 'resource'이 될거라고 생각해요.

Now referring to the above: if you can find a substitute for 'resource' that fits in a cultural sense you would have nearly the exact sentence you want. I suppose you could just say "서로 좋은 '자원''이 될거라고 생각해요;" however, the vocabulary '자원' brings "trees, coal, oil, iron ore," etc. to my mind (maybe I am too literal in my thinking). However, I think the sentence would be understood for its intended meaning --who knows, you may start a new expression trend using '자원' like we use its English equivalent.

In English we can express our lack of funds by saying 'I'm a little low on resources," which can be closely translated as 그럴 여유가 없어요, in this case "여유" loosely meaning 'money, time' (i.e. resources), but it would sound more than a little odd to say '내게 자원이 좀 모자라요" (literally: 'I'm a little low on resources").Trust me, there would be no shortage of smiles and muffled laughter after the puzzled looks you would get while they processed the meaning of that last sentence.

I am thinking along the lines of 'You could learn a lot from one another' 'You are a good match' or 'It would be good if you lean/depend on each other' etc. but I am extremely curious to see what thoughts Tim and (especially) Sean will contribute, so I will withhold translations of those thoughts until later.

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello iDoof & George,

Postby timandyou » October 25th, 2010 1:55 am

I think iDoof brought a great question.
And George is, as always, to be best "resource" for that question. 하하~~ That's one!

Okay, here is my thought. (it's not always best)
First, when you literally translate "recourse" into Korean, it means 자원, 물자, 재원, 방책, 수단...
However, as we know well, literal translation is sometimes... awkward.
So... literal translation sometimes doesn't help learning Korean; so do to other languages.

Second, about your first example, "My friend knows a lot about that, so he'd be a good resource..."
The best translation of "resource" here would be "help", "helper" or "assistant".
He'd be a good resource = He'd be a good "helper" = He'd be a good assistant.
Therefore, here the Korean translation would be, 그는 좋은 "도움"이 될거야. 그는 많은 "도움"을 줄거야.
Does it make sense?

Third, about your second example, (e.g. one knows tennis well but wants to learn golf, the other is the opposite): "I think you guys would be a good resource for each other..."
The best translation of "resource" here would be 상호보완 meaning "helping each other up and exchange strength to each other".
Therefore, here the Korean translation would be, 너희 둘은 서로 "상호보완"을 할거야. or... 너희 둘은 서로에게 많은 "도움"을 줄거야.
Does it make sense?

Now... we can conclude this - "resource" 자원, 물자, 재원 = "help" 도움.

I hope this helps.
cheers,

Tim 8)
ps. 영훈님, 언제나 많은 도움을 주셔서 감사드립니다. 그리고 한국어에 대한 열정 감사드립니다. 술은 이제 깨셨나요?? ㅎㅎㅎ
오늘도 즐겁고 활기찬 하루 되세요. 감사합니다. -Tim

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » October 25th, 2010 4:35 am

예 팀 이제 맑은 정신이에요. ㅋㅋㅋ 아직 그 댓가를 치르고 있으니.. 배와 머리 좀.. 8)

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » October 25th, 2010 3:09 pm

Good question and Great answers. :)

I was always wondering what would be the best translation for 'resourse' as well.
As George said, we sometimes have to rebuild the sentence by its meaning.
And in case of the above examples, as Tim suggested, '도움' would be the best fit.
'상호보완' is a little bit written style though.
;-)

Sean.

iDoof
Established Presence

Postby iDoof » October 31st, 2010 6:57 am

thanks all.

I think 도움이 될거야 is what i was looking for. Sounds right!

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello iDoof

Postby timandyou » November 1st, 2010 1:50 am

:P :P :P
GREAT! Good to hear that WE(Manyakumi, George and me) helped you.
cheers,

Tim 8)

julialim
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby julialim » November 1st, 2010 7:03 am

Just one word comes my mind.

a walking dictionary. 걸어다니는 사전.

줄리아는 걸어다니는 사전이야~. Julia is a walking dictionary. haha
:lol:

:lol:

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”