Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

씨? or something else? Meeting someone who has a PhD (Dr)!

puduhepa5393
New in Town

씨? or something else? Meeting someone who has a PhD (Dr)!

Postby puduhepa5393 » September 15th, 2010 9:53 pm

Hi, I'm meeting someone on Saturday who has a PhD and therefore has the title Dr, not Miss or Mrs. Do I say 씨 after her name to be polite, or is there something special for Dr?

Thanks! ^_^

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » September 15th, 2010 10:32 pm

Medical Doctor: name+ 의사님
Phd: name+ 박사님 (pak-sa-nim)

예 (example):
김 박사님 - Dr. Kim (Phd)
김 의사님 - Dr. Kim (MD)

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello puduhepa5393,

Postby timandyou » September 16th, 2010 2:12 am

Thank you for your question.
George, thank you.
cheers,

Tim 8)

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » September 16th, 2010 3:45 am

Thanks for checking the forums and staying on top of things Tim.

puduhepa5393
New in Town

Postby puduhepa5393 » September 16th, 2010 7:20 am

Thanks!! Would you ever use 의사님 after the full name, e.g. 김수한 의사님 ? Is it ok to say 씨 at all for a person with a title like that?

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » September 16th, 2010 8:42 am

puduhepa5393 wrote:Thanks!! Would you ever use 의사님 after the full name, e.g. 김수한 의사님 ? Is it ok to say 씨 at all for a person with a title like that?

If you were not sure what to use for addressing someone,
"선생님" would be the master key. :)

We prefer to use 선생님 than 의사님 for addressing MD.

However,
You better not to use ~씨 when you were younger than the person you call.
It sounds kinda rude.

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » September 16th, 2010 8:50 am

Haha -- while I was typing Sean 선생님 beat me to it! Have to start calling him Dr. Sean :P

Would you ever use 의사님 after the full name, e.g. 김수한 의사님 ? Is it ok to say 씨 at all for a person with a title like that?

I have heard the title 의사님, 박사님, and 선생님 used after a full name, mostly when there is a possibility of confusion about which person is being referred to. For example, if there are two Dr, Kim s at that particular hospital or university.

I'd say take Sean's advice on the 선생님 thing, he knows best. I personally wouldn't use 씨 or other honorific title (e.g. 선생님) to address someone with a doctorate degree unless they were being addressed with a title for a higher position, such as the director (원장) of the hospital/wing/ward etc. in that case you might address him/her with the title 원장님. Another example might be a person with a doctorate degree who is serving in an high government position, such as ambassador (대사) then we could say '대사님.' I figure they worked hard for that degree or position and I want to respect that even if I sound a bit awkward.

The Korean snack shop I frequent is inside a market in a building with a lot of other businesses, and there is a regular customer of the snack shop that is a doctor of Korean/Oriental medicine, we could address him as Dr.Lee, but everyone calls him 원장님 because he owns the building.

Oddly enough, dentists 치과 의사 are commonly called '선생님' --I guess it sucks to go to school for that long and get a degree in dentistry only to find out you are not a 'real' doctor --maybe it's the pain they inflict.. I dunno ;)

A great Korean drama to recommend here would be 솔 약국 아들들 -- there's plenty of addressing doctors in that drama.
Last edited by trutherous on September 16th, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

puduhepa5393
New in Town

Postby puduhepa5393 » September 16th, 2010 9:17 am

Wow, thanks for all the detail! Really appreciate it. ^_^

I should probably say that I have a PhD too but she is maybe 8 years older than me. We haven't met before but we have exchanged some emails and both reside in England, so I am not too worried if I make a big mistake (I'm sure she is not expecting my Korean to be in any way perfect)!

So what I really want to know is - when I say hello how should I say her name to be polite?

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » September 16th, 2010 9:25 am

puduhepa5393 박사님 만나서 반갑습니다.

Above should be a hint as well as my greeting to you :)

George

puduhepa5393
New in Town

Postby puduhepa5393 » September 16th, 2010 9:29 am

Cool! Thanks. (^-^)

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello trutherous, manyakumi, and puduhepa5393~~~

Postby timandyou » September 17th, 2010 1:21 am

:P :P :P
"What a great work guys~~!"
Thanks for your question, puduhepa5393!"
(by the way, what's your name? what's your nationality? what's your Korean level?... :roll: :roll: :roll: )
(I am Tim from KoreanClass101.com and I'd like to know you better... (if you let me...))

"Thanks for your response, trutherous (영훈님), manyakumi (감독님)~~!!!"
Can't say "thank you" enough to both of you!!!
cheers,

Tim 8)

puduhepa5393
New in Town

Postby puduhepa5393 » September 17th, 2010 5:45 pm

Hi, thanks everyone for your help. Wish me 화이팅 for my meeting tomorrow!

Next week I am meeting a professor visiting from a university in Seoul... how do I address a professor in the same way?

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » September 18th, 2010 9:34 am

puduhepa5393 wrote:Next week I am meeting a professor visiting from a university in Seoul... how do I address a professor in the same way?

OOO 교수님 or OOO 선생님 would be good.
;)

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”