Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Object market particle, honorific suffixes..

kutepriscilla2915
New in Town

Object market particle, honorific suffixes..

Postby kutepriscilla2915 » September 3rd, 2010 4:23 pm

When do you use the object market particle, honorific suffixes and how do you know which one to use?

mtothealcolm
New in Town

Postby mtothealcolm » September 20th, 2010 8:36 pm

i'm still learning myself, but let me give this question a try.

the honorific suffixes are used anytime you should show honor to someone. so that would include anyone older than you, anyone in a position of authority over you, groups of people(although, i'm unsure how small the group can be while still having to use honorifics. i wonder if you would need to use them with a group of two) and people you just meet(i would think this doesn't include people obviously much younger that you just meet).

as a side note: if you use honorifics with a friend about the same age or younger, they will think you sound strange.

as for the object particle marker, the lonely planet says it's used to indicate the noun or pronoun that's affected by the verb.
example: the marker is 을 or 를
i read a book
책을 읽어요.
the book(책) is the noun that you do something to, in this case read(읽다) so it gets the object marker 을.

another example,
He drinks coffee everyday.
그분은 매일 커피를 마시다
coffee(커피) needs the 를 because it is being acted on.

it can be in other situations too such as
공부를 하다
literally: study do
but usually in this case the 를 is omitted, and the words are combined.

one more example, the object marker is very useful for distinguishing who does what.
남자가 여자를 키스했어요
boy가 girl를 kissed.
we know the boy did the action, and the girl was acted upon because of the articles.

hope that helps

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello kutepriscilla2915 & mtothealcolm,

Postby timandyou » September 21st, 2010 12:58 am

Hello,
This is Tim from KoreanClass101.com.
"방가 방가" "nice to meet you both of you :P "

First, thank kutepriscilla2915 for your question.
You asked about 'Object-Marking-Particles 을/를'. .
Second, thank mtothealcolm for your answer! "Very nice of you!" and, "well explained!!!"

Now, it is my part!
Although mtothealcolm explained so well, I would add something more... (forgive me mtothealcolm :wink: )
Since you (kutepriscilla2915) speak English, let's compare Korean with English.

For examples,
In the sentence, "I drink coffee"...
Remember this - English sentence structure is 'SUBJECT + VERB + OBJECT'
"I" is Subject,
"Drink" is Verb,
"Coffee" is Object,
Understandable?

Let's translate the English sentence into Korean.
Remember this - the sentence structure in Korean is 'SUBJECT + OBJECT + VERB'
"I" is 나 (informal) /저 (formal)
"drink" is 마시다 (standard)
"coffee" is 커피
therefore, "I drink coffee" is 나 (subject) + 커피 (object) + 마시다 (verb) = 나 커피 마시다??? :shock: :roll:

You may say that but, the sentence is NOT quite right... :wink:
WHY?? Because you need to attach 'Topic-Marking Particles 은/는' right after 'SUBJECT' - 나 "I" and,
you need to attach 'Object-Marking particles 을/를' right after 'OBJECT' - 커피 "coffee".

Therefore, the correct sentence is...
"I drink coffee" is 나 + "는", 커피 + "를", 마시다 = 나는 커피를 마시다!!! 8) That's a correct sentence!!!!

The rule is this -
If the end of the sound of each 'subject' and 'object' is VOWEL, then attach 는 (subject) and 를 (object)
If the end of the sound of each 'subject' and 'object' is CONSONANT, then attach 은 (subject) and 을 (object).

TO FURTHER EXPLANATION, PLEASE GIVE A LISTEN TO 'ABSOLUTE BEGINNER SEASON 2 LESSON 3 & 4'

I made that lessons myself. You will get to know the rule and the difference if you give a listen.
What's more, you can practice about them here in - http://www.koreanclass101.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5
If you really want to improve Korean, those lessons are ABSOLUTELY "essential" to know about!!!
I hope my explanation is understandable for you to comprehend.
If you need more, let me know... "I am here for you, kutepriscilla2915~~^^"

One more, please give a listen - Absolute Beginner Season 2 Lesson 3 & 4

cheers,
Tim.

By the way, can I get you guys names?
what's your name, kutepriscilla2915? what's your nationality?
what's your name, mtothealcolm? what's your nationality?
My Korean name is 영회 (yeong-hoe), English name is 'Tim'. 8) 8) 8)

kutepriscilla2915
New in Town

Thank you Tim!

Postby kutepriscilla2915 » September 21st, 2010 7:55 pm

Hi Tim! Thank you very much for replying to my question.. Also thnx to mtothealcolmo for giving it a try! I've had a lot of problems with the object market particles but now that you explained it it's a bit more clear.
The only problem is that I can't read korean either.... so i'm still just a LITTLE BIT CONFUSED about WHICH ONE i'm suppose to use.. For example "reul" and all that.. I understood when you said "SUBJECT" + "OBJECT + "VERB". It's just I couldn't read the sentence sincee it was written in korean so I'm not clear about the one object market particle that you were using. There are so many.. which one to choose?!! I hope I don't trouble you too much, but if you can, please try to clear tht up for me too! :) EX= Jenny REUL shilo haeyeo ( I get the aeyo part because it's being polite but the reul.. why do you have to put reul? Why not something else?"

Now, to answer your question, my name's Priscilla and I'm Chinese. I'm born in Canada so my main language English. I speak french too! :P I got very interested in the korean culture after watching the dramas.. listening to the music and i'm practically obsessed now.. haha. I love the food too, can't hate kimchi! I try my best to learn off the k dramas I watch and the video lessons that you all record. The area I live in doens't have any places where I can learn the Korean language unless I drive far.. So this is the only place where I have some hope! I've been practically begging my parents to find a place to learn it and I'm very dedicated too.!

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello kutepriscilla2915,

Postby timandyou » September 22nd, 2010 1:29 am

This is Tim from KoreanClass101.com.
GREAT! You are born in Canada!!! I had lived in Victoria, B.C for 8-9 years. So.... at least we have a common. That's NICE!

Okay. You just mentioned that you are dedicated to learning Korean.
Here is my question to you... If you want to learn English, what is the very first thing to learn about?
SUBJECT? VERB? DAILY CONVERSATION? ... :roll: :roll: :roll:

My answer is (at least I do think...) to learn English Alphabet.
Learn about English vowel and consonant and then, you are able to say some words without knowing its meanings.

If you agree to my point above, the same rule applies to learning Korean.
Learn Korean Alphabet first - both vowels and consonants. It wouldn't take much time...
After that, you are able to say some words by just looking at them (you don't need to know the meanings at this point, right?).

After that, (only after that) learning Korean would be getting much easier and smoother for you.
WHY??? Many Korean grammar rules are related to the SOUND of each word.
For examples, the rule of 'Object-Marking Particles 을/를' depending on the SOUND of its object.
The rule of 'Topic-Marking Particles 은/는' also depends on the SOUND of its topic (subject).
The rule of 'Subject-Marking Particles 이/가' also depends on the SOUND of its subject.
And if you keep studying Korean, more than 50% of grammar rules are depending on the SOUND.
If you don't know Korean alphabet, how would you KNOW THE SOUND!!!??? :idea: :idea: :idea:
I hope you see my point! :o

The rule for 'Marking-Particles' are simple.
If the end of SOUND of each noun is vowel, attach 는, 가, 를.
If the end of SOUND of each noun is consonant, attach 은, 이, 을.

For examples...?
1. 나 "I" is pronounced as 'na' (n=ㄴ, a=ㅏ), which the sound ends in 'a=ㅏ' sound. "VOWEL"
Then what? attach 는, 가, 를 (depending on its location). so it becomes 나는, 나가 (better to say 내가), and 나를.

2. How about 너 "you"?
너 is pronounced as 'neo' (n=ㄴ, eo=ㅓ), which the sound ends in 'ea=ㅓ' sound. "VOWEL"
Then what? attach 는, 가, 를. so it becomes 너는, 너가, 너를.
(SEE how easy it is!!! after knowing Korean Alphabet - 'Hangeul')

3. How about 물 "water"?
물 is pronounced as 'mul' (m=ㅁ, u=ㅜ, l=ㄹ), which the sound ends in 'l = ㄹ' sound. "CONSONANT"
Then what? attach 은, 이, 을. so it becomes 물은, 물이, 물을.

Why don't you give a listen to 'Absolute Beginner Season 2 Lesson 3 and 4'?
I am very willing to help you out but, you also have to do your work. (at least you have to show me how dedicated you are...)
I hope I can meet you throughout the 'Absolute Beginner Season 2'.
cheers,

Tim 8)

kutepriscilla2915
New in Town

Korean is definitely a hard language to learn..

Postby kutepriscilla2915 » September 23rd, 2010 1:11 am

Hi Tim!

It's Priscilla AGAIN.. haha. I feel like i'm troubling you a lot by constantly asking you questions!
So, I've checked out the Absolute beginner season 2 and 3 lesson. I'm not sure if it's the right one though.. Is it the "So.. do you have a girlfriend in korea?" and the "green tea only" lesson? Hope so.. if not please tell me!

I have a korean friend named Oh Yena and she knows how much I LOVE the korean culture. She taught me how to read a couple of words. For example "소" << which is "sa". The top cone thing represents the letter "s" and the bottom part is an "o". She's taught me a few more too so i'm getting there.. somehow.. :) I get what you mean by having to learn vowels and consonants before actually trying to attempt learning the language.. makes sense haha :) I'll start doing that from now on! But is there a lesson where they teach vowels and consonants so I can check it out? If there is, please tell me! I've learned A BIT of the korean alphabet before off a video and my friend taught it to me too. I sort of forgot it after awhile but i'll watch it again!
I know it goes SOMETHING like this " gah, nah, dah, rah, ma, pa, sa, ah, ja, cha, ka, ta, pa, ha"

I read your rule for the marking particles... I GET IT NOW. It'll just take a while for it to register into my brain.. :lol:

Thank you so much for trying to answer my questions although they're a bit confusing and difficult.. I'll show you how dedicated I am to learning this language because i just love it too much! But you might need to help me out.. a lot.. Since this is on the internet and not face to face I'll probably be replying many times back and forth to let you know about the difficulties that I'm having! :roll:

Once again, thank you so much, you're a great teacher!

Priscilla

mtothealcolm
New in Town

Postby mtothealcolm » September 28th, 2010 6:00 am

Hi Tim,
I think I realized that the question answering was kinda the KC101 thing, but I had free time to answer since I was waiting for a flight. So now I just got back from China.

Malcolm라고 불라요.

캐나다에서 왔어요.

Actually I just realized I don't know if I wrote that right because I only listened to it on the podcast.

I've been learning Korean on and off for a few years. I think I need to get a lot more dedicated to it.

Also, it's good meeting you Priscilla. 방갑습니다.
Like Time said, first thing is first, you should learn to read Korean. It's actually fairly easy, and it really helps.

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello Malcome~~

Postby timandyou » September 28th, 2010 8:23 am

만나서 반갑습니다, Malcome~~~ :P :P :P
Going back to home from China? Which city of China you'd been?
I had been to "ChingDao" city for 6 months.
I am pretty sure that you know about "Chingdao beer".
Have a safe trip, Malcome...
Hope to meet you again soon.
cheers

Tim 8)
ps. I consider Victoria, B.C is my second hometown. Where do you live in Canada?

kutepriscilla2915
New in Town

Korean Names

Postby kutepriscilla2915 » September 29th, 2010 1:23 am

Hi Tim,

Since you already know, I'm dedicated to learning korean. I will try to learn the alphabet first but i've always been curious of one thing..
If I wanted a korean name, do I have to be korean to get one?
I mean, my friend just says my english name but does it by syllables. I wanted to know if I could really HAVE an ACTUAL korean name..

To Malcome, it's nice to meet you too! :D

Tim, I'm not sure who u asked the "where do you live in canada?" to, but I live in Ontario (:

Priscilla

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello Priscilla,

Postby timandyou » September 29th, 2010 4:17 am

Hello Priscilla,
"Why Not!?" You don't have to be Korean in order to get one.
People call me "Tim" although I am not Canadian. (maybe... in the future, yes??? who knows?)
You want to have one Korean name?
Let me know if you want to have one.
To make your Korean name, I need to have two meanings like 'brave & wise', 'humble & kind' and so on...
That will help me create a good proper name for you.
cheers,

Tim 8)

kutepriscilla2915
New in Town

I want a korean name!

Postby kutepriscilla2915 » September 30th, 2010 1:14 am

Hi Tim!

Really? That's awesome! I've always always wanted a korean name.. i just didn't really know how to find one. I didn't want some random one that i picked off the internet, it'll have no meaning.
Um.. let's see.. two adjectives about myself..
Well, i'll let you pick 2 out of the ones I'm listing. People usually call me elegant, graceful, kind, caring, helpful, shy, happy, bubbly...

If you can create one for me, tht'll be GREAT!

But don't koreans usually use their last name as the first part of their korean name? like "sung ye jin". Since i'm chinese, my last name's Wu.
Would it sound funny?

Priscilla :lol:

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello kutepriscilla2915,

Postby timandyou » September 30th, 2010 4:22 am

:P :P :P
That' Great! Your family name is 'Wu'. That's totally fine!
you gave me, "elegant, graceful, kind, caring, helpful, shy, happy, bubbly..."

"kind, caring, helpful" = 은 (eun)
"elegant, graceful... (maybe) beauty??" = 미 (mi)

How about your name - 은미 (eun-mi)
Keep your family name - 유 (wu or yu)
Therefore, 유 은미 (Wu, Eunmi). "caring and beautiful"
I think this name suits you.
Let me know if you like it or now.
cheers,

Tim
8)

kutepriscilla2915
New in Town

Eun Mi! :)

Postby kutepriscilla2915 » September 30th, 2010 11:04 pm

Hi Tim!

Eun Mi! I like it! I think it sounds really cute too! But I was wondering, could you possibly give me 3 different names so I could choose 1 out of all of them?
I like Eun Mi a lot of I wanted to see other possibility of names too so i could pick my favorite!

Hope I don't bother u too much..

Priscilla :D

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello kutepriscilla2915,

Postby timandyou » October 1st, 2010 1:14 am

How about 은지 or 지은?
은 (eun) "kind, caring, helpful"
지 (ji) "wise, knowledgeable"

How about 경미 or 미경?
경 (kyeong) "graceful"
미 (mi) "beautiful"