a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Particle Problems...surprise!

bardofages7604
Been Around a Bit

Particle Problems...surprise!

Postby bardofages7604 » August 11th, 2010 11:58 am

The culprits: 이 and 가

I can see their uses, I've read about them and listened but something isn't clicking. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » August 11th, 2010 3:10 pm

Sometimes the things that seem most simple are the most difficult. Certain grammatical constructs only become natural over time and with much exposure, so don't knock yourself out trying to 'get' every little thing all at once. Once day it will just click.

이 and 가 are subject particles, that is they indicate the subject or topic of a sentence or clause. 이 is used after words ending in a consonant, 가 is used after words ending in a vowel.

The only real points of confusion for use of 이/가 are whether they are dropped (not used at all) or not, or whether they are replaced by alternative subject markers 은/는, which are also known as 'contrast' markers because they show an alternate or exclusiveness of the subject over something else. Please keep in mind that no native speaker actually has to think about these while having a conversation.

Here are a few examples off the top of my head:

*Disclaimer -the following examples may not be entirely grammatically correct - I am not a native speaker of Korean - these are not meant to be absolute or final examples of how one should speak - neither are they examples of every possible use of above mentioned particles in the Korean language..... these are just examples to help illustrate the use and difference in topic/subject-contrast particles. Hopefully they will be of some help to you.

이 차 고장났어요 - This car has broken down.
이 차 고장났어요 - This car (not the other cars) has broken down.

한식 맛있어요 - Korean food is delicious.
한식 맛있어요 - (only) Korean food is delicious (not other kinds of food).

영어 쉬워요 - English is easy.
영어 쉬워요 - English is easy (compared to other languages).

한국말 어려워요 - Korean is difficult.
한국말 어려워요 - Korean is difficult (compared to other languages).

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello bardofages7604 and George,

Postby timandyou » August 12th, 2010 12:54 am

:P

Thanks for bringing the question, bardofages7604.
Thanks for answering the qestion, George...

I think George's explanation is good enough.
About 이/가, there are a lot (I mean a lot) to talk about...
It's not easy to explain about 이/가 clearly.
There are many usages for 이/가.
What's your level, bardofages7604?

If you are a Absolute beginner / Beginner, it's better for you to keep it simple.
Because the more I explain about 이/가, the more questions you could have in your brain. Simply... if the subject noun ends in an vowel, attach 가 to it. and if the subject noun ends in a consonant, attach 이 to it. That's definitely enough for you at your level.

If you are an Intermediate or higher level, then let me know.
I will give you some good explanation about 이/가.
BUT ONLY IF YOU ARE HIGHER LEVEL!!!
Even though many Korean use and speak 이/가, then don't know or can't explain about 이/가 clearly. As I said above, there are so many usages of 이/가.

George gave you some of them. But there are much more...
In my perspective, 이/가 can be a subject for each Absolute Beginner, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and Higher Advanced level. Now you see my point!
I have to give you examples and explanation based on your level.

I hope you would come to understand of me...
cheers bardofages7604,
Tim 8)

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » August 12th, 2010 2:16 am

Yeah.
This is one of the most difficult thing to explain for us, the natives.
Because we never think about this except some educators or kind of persons.

So you'd better know just as George explained and learn more its details when you get on higher level.
Only way to understand this fully would be many practicing through a lot of examples.

I hope you become who will ask about this matter very soon.
;-)

Sean.

bardofages7604
Been Around a Bit

Postby bardofages7604 » August 12th, 2010 4:26 am

Ok, I'm not worried about getting to into this like you said. When it clicks it clicks because I'm still a beginner.

I know which to use based on consonants or vowels that clicked easy, but when to use 이/가 over 은/는 hasn't clicked :P
But here's my understanding of it now with a little bit of what George said in there.

이/가 are the run of the mill subject markers.
은/는 I get the concept of the contrast marker, but don't totally understand it.

I'll give it time, if after a bit the ideas don't come around. We can revisit it!

Thanks everyone!

timandyou
Expert on Something

Great 세스~~!

Postby timandyou » August 12th, 2010 7:24 am

:P

I think you've been doing more than great!
Which means you will come to know about the difference between 은/는 and 이/가 eventually... Trust me on that! It will come!

Thank you 세스.
cheers,

Tim 8)

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”