a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Newbie word help!

theely4465
New in Town

Newbie word help!

Postby theely4465 » July 26th, 2010 5:21 pm

Hello everyone! My name is Michael and I'm a total Korean newbie! :D
A few days ago started using the Rosetta Stone program to learn Korean. I then found this site and I'm very glad I did! I'm going to go out and buy my first mp3 player just for the podcasts!

Anyways, on to my question(s). I have the following word:

남자아이가 - which I'm assuming means "boy".

"자" is written to sound like "sa" but is it also common for it to sound like "za" or "ga?" Rosetta Stone seems to make all these sounds depending on the voice actor.

Also, the "아" syllable, do I hold the previous "ah" sound, try to force out a new "ah," or just pretend I didn't see it and skip the sound? R.Stone, to my newbie ear, seems to skip it. Maybe holds it... I'm not sure.

Thank you in advance and thank you for a great site! I can't wait to learn more!

P.S. Best resource/site/whatever in your opinion to learn Hangul? Is there some here and I missed it?

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » July 26th, 2010 6:56 pm

Hi theely4465,

Nice to meet you. I am your fellow student "George."

Anyways, on to my question(s). I have the following word:

남자아이가 - which I'm assuming means "boy".

"자" is written to sound like "sa" but is it also common for it to sound like "za" or "ga?" Rosetta Stone seems to make all these sounds depending on the voice actor.

Also, the "아" syllable, do I hold the previous "ah" sound, try to force out a new "ah," or just pretend I didn't see it and skip the sound? R.Stone, to my newbie ear, seems to skip it. Maybe holds it... I'm not sure.

Listening is the hardest part, many times our ears trick us and we cannot hear the sounds correctly until we know that for which we are listening. Don't always trust your ears, because subtle differences in individual speech habits, the speed at which a person speaks, and the quality of sound recording and playback make what you hear inexact at best. I have used Rosetta Stone and the voice quality was ok but not crystal clear. I have found the recorded lessons here at KC101 to be of higher quality, but to a new student of the language with no point of reference the brain tends to interpret the sounds according to patterns familiar to itself. However, pay particular attention when the KC101 lessons do the 'slow mode' because these are quite excellent and exact.

Don't worry if you don't understand the following explanation, just file it in the back of your mind -- it will make sense later.

남자아이 - a compound word meaning 'male child' --yes "boy"

pronunciation:

1. 자 is Ja 'ㅈ' has a J sound
2. yes you start a new Ah sound at 아 (see below for the reason)

남자 -Namja = means 'male' (related word '여자' -Yeoja =female) in this case '남-Nam' specifically means 'male' and '자'-Ja' indicates 'a person'

아이 -Ah-i =means 'child'

가 -Ga (남자아이) = in this case is a subject marker indicating that the sentence subject will be about this male child but don't worry too much about these markers at first

Keep up the good work! Here is something I did for fun, not an exact fit but a general guide, that may help you with remembering pronunciation of Hangul (Korean) consonants:

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Happypie
New in Town

Postby Happypie » July 26th, 2010 11:04 pm

oh wow George I love your technique! That would have been useful when i was learning hangul :lol:

and to help Michael, all korean writing is phonetic, so if you learn to read, the way the word is spelt is how it sounds when spoken. When something is spoken fast its hard to hear all the details, but looking at the spelling will really help you pinpoint the pronouciation.
"boy" in hangul makes the sounds nam-ja-ah-ee, if you say it quickly then it should sound just like R.stone says it.
When in doubt look at how its spelt!

also congrats on becoming a newbie! You'll be surprised how much you pick up here, I learn at least one new thing every time. Would suggest it to anyone.
let's study hard! :D

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello Happypie,

Postby timandyou » July 27th, 2010 12:39 am

:o

I also do like George's technique.
What a great comment, Happypie!
Yes, all Korean is 'PHONETIC!" That's a very important note in learning Korean!
Moreover, many grammar points and speaking rules are related to this PHONETIC function!

Great works guys, George and Happypie.
By the way, I've seen you, Happypie, in many forum...
Can I know more about you Happypie? Only if you let me...
I am Tim.

Thanks for your comment and cheering for other learners.
best,

Tim 8)

theely4465
New in Town

Postby theely4465 » July 27th, 2010 1:42 am

I love it! When I first seen your chart I thought I had a few to many drinks in me! For the first couple seconds I actually thought I seen them moving! (There were no drinks in me!)

Thank you for the chart and thank you for the explanation/break down of the compound word. I didn't understand it 100% but it did give me a better understanding on how the words are built.

P.S. I might have left out of the "baby" but when I first seen ᄑ , "That's Pi!" actually popped in me head!

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”