Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Usage of "ㅂ" in place of "ㅁ"?

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » February 10th, 2011 7:40 am

The key here that everyone needs to realize is the simple fact, Korean cannot be compared to English.

Actually the statement is a type of comparison.

Hi Joshua, nice to see you here at KC101 -- I'm George -- a fellow student

There are valid comparisons to be made between any languages or phonetic representations of language. This is why there is a discipline called "linguistics."To say 'there is nothing similar between *this and *that is actually drawing a comparison between 'this' and 'that.' In fact, people who already have a mother language cannot help but draw comparisons when learning a new language (or anything else) because the thought process is such that a brain already imprinted with a BIOS (basic input output system) will, as a point of reference, describe to itself what it perceives according to that initial programming. Nevertheless, I fully understand what you are saying. It is best not to say ㄱ sounds like 'g' here or 'k' there, but to learn that "ㄱ" is just "ㄱ." However, it is rare that the adult language student ever reaches this realization.

Anyway (notwithstanding), most of the banter you see in this post is perhaps less serious and more in jest -- at least on my part.

Let's rock the world in Korean -- onward through the fog!

joshuamcculloch7863
New in Town

Postby joshuamcculloch7863 » February 10th, 2011 11:47 am

You are 100% right. It was rather difficult for me to get my point across, and i realize after the fact what I posted seems.....less helpful than confrontational. My wording was terrible, I wanted to emphasize you shouldn't always look for comparisons.I sincerely apologize if what i said came across in a negative way.

But back to the subject, practice your tongue position. a bit of general advise i can give is try keeping you tongue closer to the back of your mouth more often than you would, this will greatly help you when reading quickly. I find it helps roll through the 을's and 를's better.

The word that gave me the most trouble when learning was 일월 (January).
Get 40% OFF Forever Discount

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”