Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

When to use 수고하세요?

a7680034887
New in Town

When to use 수고하세요?

Postby a7680034887 » June 18th, 2010 3:41 pm

Is it normal and appropriate for me to say 수고하세요 after I buy something at a store and leave, or eat at a restaurant? Or what if I get sent an email from a business and want to say goodbye, would I say 그럽 수고하세요? Does it matter if I am significantly younger or older than the person I am speaking to?

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » June 19th, 2010 6:17 am

Is it normal and appropriate for me to say 수고하세요 after I buy something at a store and leave, or eat at a restaurant?

수고하세요 -Literally: 'hardwork do' or 'keep working hard,' but translates best into English as 'keep up the good work.'

Yes it's quite normal and natural to say 수고하세요 (keep up the good work) to just about any employee as you are leaving and you can also add 안녕히 계세요 after that.

Or what if I get sent an email from a business and want to say goodbye, would I say 그럽 수고하세요?

There are a lot of ways to write the final salutation of a letter or email, but "그럽 수고하세요" is an awkward usage. You can end a business correspondence simply with 안녕히 계세요, or you could also say '귀사의 번영을 빕니다' Literally: 'precious-business prospering wishing' but roughly translates to 'May your business prosper' or 'I wish the best for your esteemed business.'

Does it matter if I am significantly younger or older than the person I am speaking to?

Whenever you are addressing employees of a business it is always right to be polite, regardless of age difference. "수고하세요" is polite and will pretty much work for ages 18-80. There are exceptions, for example if you have a personal friendship with that employee outside of work, or if you happen to be the boss/owner of that business. Also, if there are youths under the age of say 15? (working at a family business in Korea), it might be more appropriate to use a more intimate style. But best to err on the side of caution.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
joesp
Been Around a Bit

Postby joesp » June 20th, 2010 1:36 pm

I think I have used this expression in the following cases:

1) when a co-worker did a good job
2) when somebody beneath you, who you see everyday, was simply doing their job
2A. the apartment security guy
2B. the mailman delivering a package
2C. the food delivery guy you order from often

those are the major times. I've never used it in an email, because these situations usually are off-hand and casual, it's used like "goodbye" and is just a greeting.

I can use it on older people if their social position is basicallly that of A HELPER who usually doesn't do anything at all, in the form of any kind of real work. ha ha. Sad, but true. think of the security guard. I use this when sb does you a favor of some kind.

IMHO.

Thank you everybody.

timandyou
Expert on Something

Great, George & Josep~~

Postby timandyou » June 21st, 2010 12:52 am

:o

Hi, guys~~
What a great comment on "수고하세요~"

I should make a plan to talk about this expression near future.
Great idea, guys!

Thank you, Goerge and Josep!
8)

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”