Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

よ and ね....

Henrike
New in Town

よ and ね....

Postby Henrike » June 4th, 2010 7:02 pm

Is there a way in korean to express the same that the japanese particle よ (yo) and the particle ね (ne) express?
If so, what are they?
I know, its kind of weird question, but i was just wondering....
I hope someone who knows a bit of jap can answer it.. ;D

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » June 5th, 2010 1:40 am

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question, but I am curious to know just what grammatical function they serve in Japanese?

According to my daughter, a student of Japanese, they are used to 'assert, emphasize, or contribute nuance' to a plain statement. If that is the case I cannot think of any directly corresponding Korean 'particle.' In Korean this nuance is expressed readily in various forms of the final verb.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Henrike
New in Town

Postby Henrike » June 5th, 2010 3:56 pm

Oh, you know, japanese grammar is actually very similar to korean, thats why I asked that. :D
The basic structure is the same (subject-object-verb) and the main particles functions too, like topic mariking particle 는/은, possessive particle 의, etc.... just the sounds are different..
But in jap, they dont use so much verb conjugations to express feelings, they usually attach a particle in the final of the sentence, like "rou", "ne", "kana", "ka"..... the most common are ne and yo.
the ne is used to say something that the listener already knows, or is supposed to know, or confirm something.. in my mind it is like the 지/잖아 from korean, or like 네, or 군... i dont know which expresses it better...
and yo, you use when you say something that is new to the listener, that he is supposed not to know haha.. kind of the opposite... dont know if there is smthg similar in 한국어...~

paekdusan
Been Around a Bit

re: よ and ね....

Postby paekdusan » June 6th, 2010 1:05 am

Henrike,

You're exactly right. The ~지(요) ending is the equivalent of the japanese ~ね ending.

The ~よ ending is a bit trickier to translate directly. Although I know what it implies in Japanese, I'm not sure if there's a one-for-one translation that will work in all Korean sentences. I think your best bet would be (as you've already surmised) the ~잖아(요) ending. I say that because both ~よ and ~잖아(요) can be used politely in a sentence like "It's raining (don't you know.)" And they can also both be used to express a bit of aggravation as in, "It's raining (I've already told you that)."

Hope this helps,

wbg

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » June 6th, 2010 3:25 am

I think the most equivalent one for よ particle would be '~라고(요)/~다고(요)'

:wink:

timandyou
Expert on Something

My thought about your topic

Postby timandyou » June 7th, 2010 1:38 am

:shock:

Henrike, you must know well about Japanese and Korean.

Yes, in Japanese there are many endings but "yo" and "ne" are special because those would help make sentences smooth and natural.

for example,
In Enlgish, "good" is, "ii" in Japanese.
and you can add "yo" and "ne" right after "ii"
so it becomes, "ii yo" and "ii ne"
I do think those two sentences are the same.

In Korean... ??
We have "yo" form. I don't know about "ne" form.
So I would say, in Korea, you can just simplify with "yo".
It's actually very hard to learn "yo" form since every verb has its own "yo" form.

Thanks,

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » June 7th, 2010 2:52 am

하하하 하! 그랬군요-요. :lol:

정말이에요-요?

알았습니다요.

당신도 갈거지요 -네?

아주 재밌는 이야기/야/지/네/군/거든...

:wink:

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”