a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

I don't understand 어느

beline
Been Around a Bit

I don't understand 어느

Postby beline » April 22nd, 2010 7:23 am

Bonjour!

It's me again and always my lyrics translation.i really thought this song was simple cause it was small sentences but I only come across difficulties.

Here the new sentence which makes trouble for me.
the first part it's ok but 어느 is a problem for me i don't understand its function

내 기억 속에 아주 늦은 밤
late at night, my memories in me
날 데려다 준 어느 밤
drove me ...

and i can't continue cause 어느

can explain yhis words for me ?

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » April 22nd, 2010 7:34 am

어느 - some, whichever

어느 밤 - some night, that night, whichever night

날 데려다 준 어느 밤 - that/ whichever night you gave me a ride

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
beline
Been Around a Bit

Postby beline » April 22nd, 2010 2:34 pm

wouah !

I am even more disturbed by your translation. it makes no sense with the part above. Either I made a bad translation of the first part or I do not understand the whole sentence.

Enlighten me please ?

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » April 22nd, 2010 3:52 pm

The original line doesn't make sense. :-)
Because this is a song, the word's order seems to be exchanged.

내 기억 속에 아주 늦은 밤
날 데려다 준 어느 밤

I think this below is the meaning of that line above.

내 기억 속에(속으로) 날 데려다 준 어느 아주 늦은 밤
One night, so late at night which took me into my memory.

You should care for my bad English.
;-)

beline
Been Around a Bit

Postby beline » April 22nd, 2010 5:36 pm

I see ... I see ... :?

I'm not really helped ... already the Korean is not easy for us Westerners, butif songwriters invert the words in the sentence I won't be able to do it .:cry: (i am joking :wink:)

Thank you for your help, your explanation will help me a lot for another sentences of the song ... I hope :D

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » April 22nd, 2010 7:03 pm

Remember that song lyrics are poetry. Even in our western convention poetry is not always grammatically correct. Poetry typically creates a 'heart picture' with meaning and rhythm. Also remember that the way the Korean mind understands language and grammatical communication is very different than the west, if one does not speak the language fluently then translation becomes extremely difficult. As you may know already, Korean language is a SUBJECT :arrow: OBJECT :arrow: VERB (SOV) language, in which many times the subject is dropped. Often when there is more than one clause to a sentence structure the second clause can almost be read FIRST when translating to English. Which makes the Korean grammar sometimes look 180 degrees opposite from English... in your case perhaps French.

Let's look at the lyrics again:

내 기억 속에 아주 늦은 밤
Literally: My memory deep-in very late night
날 데려다 준 어느 밤
Literally: Me-to ride giving one night

내 기억 속에 아주 늦은 밤, 날 데려다 준 어느 밤
Meaning: That very late night you gave me a ride is etched upon my memory.

Unfortunately we loose much of the nuance and the poetic rhythm with a meaning-for-meaning translation, for example in the lyrics the word 밤 (night) is repeated for emphasis and poetic effect. Also 내 기억 속에 is most accurately translated "DEEP (or 'somewhere') in my memory" because the term 속 indicates 'internal,' and almost connotates 'in the core' or 'buried inside.'

I hope that helps.

beline
Been Around a Bit

Postby beline » April 22nd, 2010 11:46 pm

thank you for your help and explanations.

I slowly began to understand the methodology for the translation for this song. I went on the basic structure of a sentence but this Korean song, as you say, it's a bit like a poem.
Consequently the basic structures are not always respected and I just understand it thanks to you and it makes my understanding work more difficult.

but I will keep the shot and I'll make it with your help

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”