Or sign up using Facebook

널 사랑한단 그 말이 자꾸만 부담이 되나봐

beline
Been Around a Bit

널 사랑한단 그 말이 자꾸만 부담이 되나봐

Postby beline » April 9th, 2010 11:32 am

hi !

널 사랑한단 그 말이 자꾸만 부담이 되나봐 그런가 봐

can anyone help me with this sentences cause I don't know how to take it to translate it and explain me the methodology.

thanks

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » April 9th, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi beline! It looks like you are in France - I'm in the US - nice to meet you. I don't know about French grammar but English grammar is almost 180 degrees opposite of Korean grammar, so in many cases of translation we can almost start from the end of the sentence and work backwards.

In your example "널 사랑한단 그 말이 자꾸만 부담이 되나봐 그런가 봐" it may have been spoken as a single sentence in conversation but I see two sentences loosely joined for emphasis "널 사랑한단 그 말이 자꾸만 부담이 되나봐 (It seems that saying the words 'I love you' has often become a burden to you)" and "그런가 봐 (It seems like that/this)"

Looking at it as a single thought: "It seems like I have often laid a burden on you by saying the words 'I love you.'"

The methodology:
(Note: over time, once the mind becomes familiar with Korean grammar and nuance, there is direct understanding of what I call 'units of thought' and word-by-word translation becomes moot.)

First we get a literal, as it stands, translation by looking up http://dic.naver.com/ the possible meaning of root words:

널 사랑한단 그 말이 자꾸만 부담이 되나봐 그런가 봐
너를 -you(object), 사랑한다는 -love doing, 그 -that, 말이 -words are, 자꾸만 -frequently(with emphasis), 부담이 -an imposition, 되나봐 -becoming seems, 그런가 -that+?maybe/might + 봐 (보다) -to see, observe = appears

coarsely put together:

'you loving do those words frequently a burden becomes it seems, it seems that'

Finally: "It seems like I have often laid a burden on you by saying the words 'I love you.'"

hmmm? Not nearly as poetic as the Korean is it?

Perhaps Julia or one of the other teachers could give us a more romantic translation?

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
beline
Been Around a Bit

Postby beline » April 10th, 2010 12:13 am

Nice to meet you too.

thank you for your reply and for your explanation.
thanks for the link too it is very useful.

I realize that Korean is a language of understatement, which makes the translation more difficult for us the French or English (french and englis gramar are nearly the same).

I managed to translate this sentence almost like your first translation "It seems that saying the words 'I love you' has often become a burden to you, It seems like that".
because I also saw two sides in this sentence.

But your second translation "It seems like I have often laid a burden on you by saying the words 'I love you." is also interesting in seeing a single sentence.

And it's really disturbing because these two translations are not quite the same meaning butare equally plausible even if I look at the context.

julialim
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby julialim » April 12th, 2010 7:29 am

:D Hello 조지 님 그리고 beline 님.

This sentence is not bright. Actually it's sad.

:wink: 영미와 철수's Story : "영미" and "철수 have known each other as a friend since a high school. But now "철수" is falling love with her. He couldn't help saying " love you" and told her several times. But "영미"doesn't want to lose a good friend,철수. So she couldn't tell him anything directly. She started to avoid him.
One day, "철수" waited and met her. He said "널 사랑한단 그 말이 자꾸만 부담이 되나봐. 그런가 보구나...." T.T (이제 그만 할께. 피하지 말어.)

Is this story helping you guys to understand that sentence? :P

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » April 12th, 2010 3:02 pm

Thanks for your input Julia. It is sad, most romance has an element of sadness, but even a sad expression can be poetic? eh?

진달래 꽃 (김소월)

나 보기가 역겨워
가실 때에는
말없이 고이 보내 드리우리다

영변에 약산
진달래 꽃
아름 따다 가실 길에 뿌리우리다

가시는 걸음 걸음
놓인 그 꽃을
사뿐히 즈려 밟고 가시옵소서

나 보기가 역겨워
가실 대에는
죽어도 아니 눈물 훌리우리다

Asaleas (Sohwul Kim)(my poor translation attempt)

Should you be repulsed at the sight of me
In that time of your depart,
I will quietly send you off without a word.

I will pick an armful of azaleas
From the slopes of Yak mountain pass,
And strew them in the road you take from me.

May your feet light softly
Upon these flowers
That deck your parting steps.

Should you be repulsed at the sight of me
In that time of your depart,
Though I die no tear shall fall for you.

Note: Most Koreans I have talked to believe this poet was describing the departure of the Japanese from Korea.

beline
Been Around a Bit

Postby beline » April 12th, 2010 3:17 pm

thanks Julia

the story enlightens me a lot and gives me a good background for the song I'm trying to understand.

and trutherous, what a beautifly poem. i ask for it again :D

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”