Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Confused of meaning

Larry9999
New in Town

Confused of meaning

Postby Larry9999 » October 31st, 2009 1:11 am

Please forgive the Romanization--haven't figured out how to get hangul.
Regarding the ending "...halleyo" translated as "I want to", in all the previous Korean books I've seen (FSI course, Myongdo's Korean, Speaking Korean, etc) all of which are pretty old, this was always translated as "I will", ie, the straight future tense, like "...halkoryo, ..hagetsoyo", instead of "I want" for which they used "..hagoshipoyo", and maybe some others.
Which is correct?? Did this meaning maybe evolve and change over the years?
By the way, this course is great! The first course I've seen which really talks about colloquial uses of the various words and patterns, such as the hosts discussing; "..we never say something that way, or we only use this when..., or you say this instead of that in a certain situation, etc. Very key points the textbook courses hardly, if ever, address. Thanks!

padeca07
New in Town

Postby padeca07 » November 1st, 2009 10:38 pm

Both are correct (으)ㄹ 래요 is used to express the intention of the speaker or to ask the intentions of the listener.
예) 난 라면을 먹을래요. I feel like eating some ramen.
뭘 먹을래요? What do you feel like eating?
난 그 사람을 다시는 안 만날래요. I have no desire of meeting that person again.

so as you can see it's somewhat similar to -고 싶다 but the feeling is a little different.
-고 싶다 is more "I want to do something" and -(으)ㄹ 래요 is used to express feelings/desires/intentions towards an action

I hope this helps^^
Get 40% OFF Forever Discount

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”