Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

입니다 vs 이에요???

tkmayfie
Been Around a Bit

입니다 vs 이에요???

Postby tkmayfie » October 13th, 2009 4:51 am

When studying at Yonsei, upon introducing ourselves we were taught to say: name 입니다, nationality 입니다, etc.

but on the 서을 대학교 (Seoul Natl Uni) online Korean learning site, it had us saying name/nationality/occupation 에요/이에요.

Are they the same or different? Is one way used more often then the other? Is one more or less formal then the other?

stevenwilson
Been Around a Bit

Postby stevenwilson » October 13th, 2009 6:43 am

입니다 is more polite. weird saying it to people your own age.

에요/이에요. is more common.

use 야 or 이야 when talking to children.

can you give me a link to the korean learning part of their website? I am using a textbook made by your university. but I couldn't find the site you where talking about in a quick search. :(

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
tkmayfie
Been Around a Bit

Postby tkmayfie » October 13th, 2009 12:47 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Steve. Here is a link to Seoul National's online lectures. It looks pretty legit and the great thing about it is that it's FREE

http://language.snu.ac.kr/english/pages/SD00023_01.jsp

Yonsei also has online lectures, but it costs $100, not that bad of a price, unless you're a poor 대학생 college student ㅋㅋㅋ

http://www.yskli.com/lsm_lect.htm

Willay
New in Town

Postby Willay » October 14th, 2009 12:46 pm

tkmayfie wrote:
Yonsei also has online lectures, but it costs $100, not that bad of a price, unless you're a poor 대학생 college student ㅋㅋㅋ

http://www.yskli.com/lsm_lect.htm

Hey there tkmayfie. Just wanted to let you know that I did the first two lessons on the Yonsei online course and by comparison to KC101 they are severely lacking and over priced.

Pros: The grammar section is pretty good and explains a lot. The layout is also nice and easy to use.

Cons: They basicaly give you just 6 weeks to do the self study course. It means one lesson for like 30mins every day, which sounds fine and perfectly reasonable but you need to take a lot of notes and print everything out before the end of the 6 weeks or you'll never be able to review it. Also if you were going to do it I would advise buying the yonsei books to go with it.

Their service is terrible. They never responded to emails and are pretty difficult to get hold of on the phone and when you apply you're never sure exactly when your course starts.

One other thing that really annoyed me was how unnatural and boring the conversations are. They use too many 입니다 endings which is fine but there is no slang, cultural insights or indications that you're studying a language that people actually speak and use day to day. In short it always feels like cold grammar with no real life to it.

I switched from studying with that online to studying KC101 a few months ago and I'd never dream of going back to it.

Maybe that's just me and other people will have a different opinion. Just thought I'd share my experience with you :) Hope that helps.

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”