Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Phone numbers

JadeFantasy
New in Town

Phone numbers

Postby JadeFantasy » June 24th, 2009 11:47 am

I was watching a drama and this guy was asked for his number. Well, while giving it he mixed both the sino and native korean numbers. I was just wondering why he might do that?

erich
Established Presence

Postby erich » June 24th, 2009 9:24 pm

Normally, it should be the sino numbers because you are not actually counting something. It's like the subway lines or the appt numbers.

However there are two pairs of numbers that can be easily confused when using the sino numbers:
일 and 이
삼 and 사

Now I don't know exactly how the substitution is usually made (if there is a rule or people just use some of the native numbers randomly when they think the listener won't get the difference). I just remember having heard 하나 in phone numbers. Maybe some native can give more insight?

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » June 25th, 2009 2:05 am

Yes, a phone number is almost always the sino numbers.

But 하나 is regularly used for 1 since 일 and 이 are so close and when you rapidly fire off a phone number it can be hard to tell the difference. But there is no hard and fast rule. Also, sometimes 0 is read as 영 or 공

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » June 25th, 2009 5:20 am

erich wrote: Now I don't know exactly how the substitution is usually made (if there is a rule or people just use some of the native numbers randomly when they think the listener won't get the difference). I just remember having heard 하나 in phone numbers. Maybe some native can give more insight?

There is a rule of counting which is using by artillery.

1 하나
2 둘
3 삼
4 넷
5 오
6 여섯
7 칠
8 팔
9 아홉
0 공

They still use this counting system in order to avoid misunderstanding of the Fire Direction Center's command which may cause a serious mistake.
However, I don't think everyone is following this rule in ordinary lives.
Maybe they say randomly, I guess.

:wink:

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”