Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

How is your Listening?

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » June 13th, 2009 7:01 am

shanshanchua wrote:Yeah, I"ve often wondered how Hyunwoo does it too! And I think his English is very good for someone who's learnt it without living overseas. Many Koreans speak English with a "Korean accent", but he doesn't really have that.

Hyunwoo: if you're reading this, please share some of your language learning experiences with us. :)

In fact, during the time that I've known him, his accent has been moving closer and closer to a neutral American accent. It's almost scary :wink:

kyuree
Expert on Something

Postby kyuree » June 13th, 2009 8:39 am

Alexis wrote:Yeah... I'm able to pick out random words here and there. However, when it comes to dramas, I also find that I rely on the subtitles TOO much, and so I can't really tell whether or not I'm understanding things correctly or not! I think it would be different if I tried to watch a whole ep of something without subtitles!

While this is true I could never make myself watch (or even re-watch) an episode w/o subtitles b/c I know I would just understand TOO little and I like to watch the dramas for my own entertainment not soley to study w/ them, the studying is just a side effect. That's why I only watch dramas that I like not just randomly any one.
When I was in Korea I didn't get the opportunity too often to watch Korean TV but of course there were no subtitles.
I watched Desperate Housewives in Korean and understood very little (plus I didn't know the episode yet!) but in some drama I understood quite a lot. Then again the lip synch and a simpler topic help immensely.

So while you could very well watch dramas w/o subtitles... me personally I would feel too frustrated getting little out of it and having to concentrate so much w/o understanding enough.

BTW I would rank my skills (best to worst) like this:
reading listening writing speaking

When I think of it my Portuguese teacher back then said the same that when I write I make way less mistakes then when speaking. I just have more time to think about everything (though I type fast haha). I guess it's the same in English, too.

I'm also one of these persons who compare themselves w/ others (and normally I like to set my standards in comparison to the best...) too much.
unfortunately having half a set of Korean genes doesn't come w/ a language gene

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » June 13th, 2009 2:05 pm

HAHAHA. Radioactive kimchi. :P

HyunWoo's never studied overseas?!!! :shock: The way his English is, I always assumed he had! :shock: Wow... his language skills are even more amazing than I first thought, then!!!

I'll definitely keep watching Kdramas, however I don't think it's good to rely on them for learning Korean! :P

I spose I just wish I had a PURPOSE for my Korean. I'm really only learning out of interest and for personal reasons, but I don't really have anyone to practice with. :( Maybe I should try and find someone... anyone have any tips for that?
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!
http://seumnida.annyeong.net/ <-- Korean learning blog!

michelledoreen
New in Town

Improving Listening

Postby michelledoreen » October 1st, 2009 1:26 am

I studied Korean in Korea for 9 months. I knew practically nothing before I went there. I discovered the following method for really improving my Korean listening:

1) Record a drama without any subtitles
2) Write down in Korean what you just heard (this will take a lot of time, it helps if you learn to type in Korean and just type what you hear)
3) Repeat Step #2 (it takes a very long time to translate anything onto paper)
4) Cross check what you wrote with the drama script in Korean
5) Listen to the drama again and you'll follow what they're saying now

Your Korean listening ability WILL improve with this method.

I found that this is the best way to learn because people in real life will not repeat themselves to you 4-5 times.

If Step #4 is hard because you don't have the script, record the show into a tape recorder and find a Korean friend who will translate it for you.

You can also find Korean movies that have Korean subtitles. You can also find Korean TV kid shows such as Pororo that have Korean subtitles.

I personally enjoyed this method because I'd hear a sound and I'd SWEAR that I didn't know the word...but then I'd see the translation and I knew it! It's because I just saw the word written and didn't know how it sounded. Also, it feels like you're unlocking a treasure box. So best wishes!

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”