Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

What is the difference between 어디예요 and 어디있어

shanshanchua
Expert on Something

What is the difference between 어디예요 and 어디있어

Postby shanshanchua » June 10th, 2009 2:52 pm

It's something basic, but I still get the two mixed up. How are they different and is there any instance where they can be used interchangeably?

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Re: What is the difference between 어디예요 and 어디

Postby manyakumi » June 11th, 2009 4:42 am

shanshanchua wrote:It's something basic, but I still get the two mixed up. How are they different and is there any instance where they can be used interchangeably?

어디예요 can be used for asking "where are you?"

어디있어요 can be used for "where are you?" "where is it?" "where is he(she)?"...etc.

Don't confuse with 어디에요(polite ver. of 어디에)

ex. (a phone conversation)
A: 거기 있을텐데... It's supposed to be there...
B: 어디에요? Where?
A: 책상 위에. On the desk.
B: 그런데 지금 당신 어디예요? By the way, where are you now?

:wink:

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » June 12th, 2009 4:20 am

But how can 어디에요 be distinguished from 어디예요 since they sound almost identical when they are spoken?

Is it possible to use 어디예요 with inanimate objects? eg. 가방 어디예요? Or is it limited only to asking where someone is?

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » June 12th, 2009 5:14 am

shanshanchua wrote: But how can 어디에요 be distinguished from 어디예요 since they sound almost identical when they are spoken?

By the context. ;)

shanshanchua wrote: Is it possible to use 어디예요 with inanimate objects? eg. 가방 어디예요? Or is it limited only to asking where someone is?

It sounds very awkward to say that.
It is limited only to ask where "you" are.

ex.
Several "where are you?"s.
너 어디야?
엄마 어디예요?
선생님 지금 어디세요?
샨씨, 지금 어디예요? (where are you now, Ms.Shan?)

그 사람 어디예요? (X)
-> 그 사람 어디있어요?

가방 어디예요? (X)
-> 가방 어디있어요?

샨씨 지금 어디예요? (where is Ms.Shan now?)(X)
-> 샨씨 지금 어디있어요?

:D

shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » June 12th, 2009 4:55 pm

Thanks! That really cleared it up for me! :D

I'm just curious: I've noticed that you have been very helpful answering questions in the forum. And you're a native Korean who's totally fluent in Korean...so why are you on this website since you obviously don't need to learn Korean? :)

kimchiandsoju
Established Presence

Postby kimchiandsoju » June 12th, 2009 4:56 pm

I thought that 어디예요 could be used for something like a building too.... or a place like your hometown, like "고향 어디예요?"

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » June 13th, 2009 6:19 am

kimchiandsoju wrote:I thought that 어디예요 could be used for something like a building too.... or a place like your hometown, like "고향 어디예요?"

You were right.
I missed that point.
You can use 어디예요 if there is a 보어(complement).

그 사람 고향이 어디예요?
Where is his hometown?

화장실은 어디예요?
Where is the bathroom?

Thank you for good pointing out.
:)

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » June 13th, 2009 6:49 am

shanshanchua wrote: I'm just curious: I've noticed that you have been very helpful answering questions in the forum. And you're a native Korean who's totally fluent in Korean...so why are you on this website since you obviously don't need to learn Korean? :)

I know that I might look kinda weird to you. :)
The main reasons are..

1. To learn English
At first time when I found this site, I thought it would be fun if I could learn English by totally opposite way I've learned so far. So I started listening KC101's daily lessons. (Of course the newbie series was the most difficult to me. lol)
Some times later, I came across with this forum and answered a few simple questions day by day. Believe it or not, my english improved more and more through it.
You know that there aren't so many chances to use English everyday here. However this forum always makes me get motivated.
Not only this activity but listening ESL podcast everyday for two months was much better for my English skill than that I've been studied English for more than 20 years!

2. To help KSL students
I found that it gave me a great pleasure.
Through the meantime I answered so many questions and I was so happy that I could do something for the others. Whenever they got the answers and gave me thanks, I felt comforts of my life that was hard to me recently.
And besides, it helps me making some of good friends as well. :wink:

:roll:

shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » June 18th, 2009 4:20 pm

Manyakumi: I'm glad you're here :)

Let me return the favour by suggesting some corrections on what you wrote. I hope you don't mind :)

At first time when I found this site,
--> Initially when I found this site, OR The first time I found this site

I thought it would be fun if I could learn English by a totally opposite way I've learned so far.

So I started listening to KC101's daily lessons.

(Of course the newbie series was the most difficult to me. lol)
--> ...was the most difficult for me.

Some times later, I came across with this forum and answered a few simple questions day by day.
--> Some time later...

Believe it or not, my english improved more and more through it.
You know that there aren't so many chances to use English everyday here. However this forum always makes me get motivated.
--> ... makes me feel motivated OR makes me motivated.

Not only this activity but listening ESL podcast everyday for two months was much better for my English skill than that I've been studied English for more than 20 years!
--> ...listening to ESL...
--> ...English skills OR English
--> ...than what I've done to study English for the past 20 years

2. To help KSL students
I found that it gave me a great pleasure.
Through the meantime I answered so many questions and I was so happy that I could do something for the others.
--> this sentence is awkward. Do you mean to say "I answered many questions and I was so happy that I could do something for others"?

Whenever they got the answers and gave me thanks, I felt comforts of my life that was hard to me recently.
--> I interpreted your sentence to mean "I felt comforted in the midst of some recent difficulties in my life."

And besides, it helps me making some of good friends as well.
--> ...it helps me make some good friends as well.

Actually most of the time I understand perfectly what you are trying to say. And sometimes it's hard to give corrections because there are often several different ways to say something. But you are doing well! :D

Sokorouge
New in Town

Postby Sokorouge » June 19th, 2009 5:11 am

HI all,
I just started to learn korean language and i was wondering is there any tip that you could give me so that i can remember all the korean words and phrases easily, since i don't have any korean friend to practice it with.Thanks alot :)

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » June 19th, 2009 7:10 am

Thank you so much, shanshanchua! :D
I didn't even expect you would do this for me, you are the best.

shanshanchua wrote:Through the meantime I answered so many questions and I was so happy that I could do something for the others.
--> this sentence is awkward. Do you mean to say "I answered many questions and I was so happy that I could do something for others"?

I guess so. :)

shanshanchua wrote: And sometimes it's hard to give corrections because there are often several different ways to say something.

Totally understanding it, too.
I think it's same with the Korean language cases.

Thanks, again.. ;)

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”