Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Spaces

jeroen888
Been Around a Bit

Spaces

Postby jeroen888 » May 16th, 2009 6:43 pm

I have a question about spacing in Korean. In general, is it important to get the spacing right, when writing anything official? How about unofficial stuff? More specific.. where should there be spaces with:

-counters
-words like 후, 전, 쯤
-안, 못

1시 20분전부터 2시간쯤 동안 전화하지 못해요.

I'd like to get this perfect, that's why :). I thought there should be a space in between 안 and the word you're negating, but not so with 못, at least not with 못하다. I also don't use spaces between counters, 몇분이 계세요?

I have no idea if that's a correct sentence by the way, I just tried to get everything at once ;). How do you say 'until about 5 minutes to 4'? 4시 5분전쯤까지? Of course you can change the first part to 3시 55분.

Thank you :)

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Re: Spaces

Postby manyakumi » May 20th, 2009 9:22 am

jeroen888 wrote: I have a question about spacing in Korean. In general, is it important to get the spacing right, when writing anything official? How about unofficial stuff? More specific.. where should there be spaces with:

-counters
-words like 후, 전, 쯤
-안, 못

1시 20분전부터 2시간쯤 동안 전화하지 못해요.

I'd like to get this perfect, that's why :). I thought there should be a space in between 안 and the word you're negating, but not so with 못, at least not with 못하다. I also don't use spaces between counters, 몇분이 계세요?

You don't need to care about the spacing of 안,못 that much. :)
안하다 and 못하다 are each one word itself.
So it's different from 안, 못 + verb structure.

And the correct form of your sentence would be,
몇 분이 계세요?

jeroen888 wrote: I have no idea if that's a correct sentence by the way, I just tried to get everything at once ;). How do you say 'until about 5 minutes to 4'? 4시 5분전쯤까지? Of course you can change the first part to 3시 55분.

Correct.
You can say as
4시 5분 전 쯤까지
4시 5분 전 정도까지
4시 5분 전 무렵까지

:D
Get 40% OFF Forever Discount

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”