Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

How would you suggest that I study Korean?

mitosisk622
New in Town

How would you suggest that I study Korean?

Postby mitosisk622 » May 8th, 2009 11:23 pm

Just up front - I was born here in America. I have gone to Korea once for a couple of weeks, but that's pretty much it. I'm first generation Korean American, so our home videos of me as a baby demonstrate that I was once fluent in Korean and couldn't speak any English. Obviously that's no longer the case! I would like to improve my Korean, however, but like many 1st gen kids, I'm at an awkward place as far as language learning.

A fair assessment of my abilities:

Speaking - I have a very thorough vocabulary, but at times, I phrase things awkwardly. I have also been told that I say certain things like a baby (i.e. "You am nice" or "I have wented there" - exaggerating, but you get the point) because I have never been corrected on my Korean - I just gradually pick up things from TV, the news, and other Koreans.

Listening - I would say I'm on par with native Koreans. I have yet to hear any Korean that has stumped me. Of course, I would not be able to take a college biology or calculus course in Korean and actually learn anything. Korean literature I could probably manage. Maybe even history. But that's about it.

Reading - I comprehend everything without a problem, but it takes me a long time to get through the hangul, and I also can't just read it - I have to vocalize it at least in my head and hear how it sounds in order to understand it.

Writing - umm...no. I know hangul...I can guess at spellings based on their pronunciation. But considering that I have a regional dialect, it's not usually right :P

I would say I'm too advanced to go through any course designed for someone without a native background in the language. I know for languages like Spanish, there are specific classes available for people like me, who can speak and comprehend well but never learned the grammar, nuances, etc. Is there such an option for me as well? I was planning to just read through newspapers for half an hour every day this summer, but when I discovered this forum, I wanted to hear your advice as well..

Thanks for getting through this long post, and thanks for your reply in advance!

cheri
Expert on Something

Postby cheri » May 9th, 2009 7:37 am

Hello :) How about taking an int/advanced level course at a university or through a university extension program? I took one at Harvard (through the ext. program) a while back and most of my classmates were working professional 교포s who were relatively fluent (listening/speaking). They just needed to work on grammar and writing/reading comprehension as well. I would also agree that reading as well as composition practice would help...
Attempts to blog in Korean^^
http://cheripracticeskorean.blogspot.com/

Ramblings about things related to (and sometimes not related to) Korea..usually this translates to FOOD^^
http://seoulberry.blogspot.com
Get 40% OFF Forever Discount

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”