a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

billboards in Korean

kzuraw
New in Town

billboards in Korean

Postby kzuraw » April 25th, 2009 12:55 am

안녕하세요, 여러분!

I'm a beginner, so usually when I see a Korean billboard here in Los Angeles I'm happy to just sound it out and maybe recognize a word or two.

But this weekend I stumbled across a billboard (on Wilshire between Vermont and Normandie somewhere) that I could actually understand :!:

같이먹으면 더 맛있다....아침은 맥도날드

If I understand right, this could be translated something like "When you eat together, it's more delicious...McDonald's breakfast". This may not be very exciting to most of you, but for me it was THRILLING.

Anyway, I just had to share that, and wanted to know if anyone has seen any interesting/funny/surprising Korean-language billboards, whether in Korea or elsewhere!

Chris1
Established Presence

Postby Chris1 » April 25th, 2009 1:20 am

Awesome! It really becomes a good gauge of your general understanding as you continue studying... It can really be a good sense of accomplishment. The "아침은 맥도날드." carries more of the nuance of "McDonalds for breakfast" as in "Eat McDonald's for breakfast," but it essentially means the same thing.

This is one of my favorites (by 강남 in 서울) that I took last year.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » April 25th, 2009 1:48 am

Chris1 wrote:This is one of my favorites (by 강남 in 서울) that I took last year.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!

that is amazing.
안녕하세요~ 에밀리입니다~~ ^^
korean blog: http://holdfasthope.wordpress.com
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/sendmetokorea

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » April 25th, 2009 2:54 am

nicely done, kzuraw! That is certainly one of those "hot damn!" moments that is worth sharing :)

kyuree
Expert on Something

Re: billboards in Korean

Postby kyuree » April 25th, 2009 8:11 am

kzuraw wrote:안녕하세요, 여러분!

I'm a beginner, so usually when I see a Korean billboard here in Los Angeles I'm happy to just sound it out and maybe recognize a word or two.

You have Korean billboards in L.A. for... McDonald's? That's so... I dunno what to say.
Though in certain areas of Berlin we have Turkish billboards (for Ikea) emerging.
Does that mean Koreans are the biggest minority in L.A.? Cos Turkish ppl are definetely the biggest minority in Germany.

oh and by the way, congrats, kzuraw :)
unfortunately having half a set of Korean genes doesn't come w/ a language gene

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » April 25th, 2009 8:49 am

Doesn't LA have the largest Koreatown in the US? I don't think there would be space for large Korean billboards in NYC, in any case...

Chris1
Established Presence

Postby Chris1 » April 25th, 2009 1:30 pm

Living in certain parts of LA is the closest you can get to being in Korea itself. Many of the people that live there say there is no need whatsoever to know English. They even have a special Korean policeforce if I remember correctly.

kyuree
Expert on Something

Postby kyuree » April 25th, 2009 1:36 pm

Chris1 wrote:Living in certain parts of LA is the closest you can get to being in Korea itself. Many of the people that live there say there is no need whatsoever to know English. They even have a special Korean policeforce if I remember correctly.

wow, that's weird
unfortunately having half a set of Korean genes doesn't come w/ a language gene

kzuraw
New in Town

Postby kzuraw » April 26th, 2009 1:03 am

Yeah, there are many Korean billboards in the central part of L.A.--they're good practice! There are billboards in other languages too, like of course English and Spanish, but also Chinese, sometimes Farsi or Pilipino. But Korean is definitely one of the top 10 languages here, probably even in the top 5.

kzuraw
New in Town

Postby kzuraw » April 26th, 2009 1:10 am

This is one of my favorites (by 강남 in 서울) that I took last year.

Thanks, Chris1! With the help of a dicitonary, I get the first line ("The company president has been dragged to the mental hospital"), and I'm guessing the second line is something like "in the meantime, we're selling everything for cheap", but I haven't learned the 게 suffix yet so I don't totally understand how it fits together.

A nice variation on the "we've gone crazy!" sale theme...

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » April 26th, 2009 2:47 pm

kzuraw wrote: With the help of a dicitonary, I get the first line ("The company president has been dragged to the mental hospital"), and I'm guessing the second line is something like "in the meantime, we're selling everything for cheap", but I haven't learned the 게 suffix yet so I don't totally understand how it fits together.

A nice variation on the "we've gone crazy!" sale theme...

Exactly! :D

게 suffix makes verb or adjective into an adverb.
As you know, adverbs qualify verbs or adjectives.

싸다 (to be cheap) : adjective
싸 + 게 = adverb

그 가게는 과일을 항상 싸게 판다.
That store sells fruits always cheap.

먹다 (to eat) : verb
먹 + 게 = adverb

나는 그에게 내 점심을 먹게 했다.
I let him eat my lunch.

:)

kzuraw
New in Town

Postby kzuraw » April 29th, 2009 2:07 am

Cool, thanks manyakumi! Makes total sense now.

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”