Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Story Time.

owbEe
Been Around a Bit

Postby owbEe » April 11th, 2009 6:34 pm

Thanks kyuree.

It's really nice to learn a lot of languages.

kimchiandsoju
Established Presence

Postby kimchiandsoju » April 11th, 2009 10:52 pm

kyuree wrote:
owbEe wrote:
kimchiandsoju wrote:
kyuree wrote:
kimchiandsoju wrote:What language is "Arbeit"? German?

yep, why?

oh and why can't you choose which language to learn in the army??

Most Koreans think it is English... you know "Ah-ruh-ba-ee-tuh"...part time job. I asked my Korean in-laws what language that was supposed to be and they thought it was english.

well, now I know!

Really? That's where they got the term for part-time job? At least it makes sense.

Actually they copied it from the Japanese who got it from German :wink:

oh wow, I didn't know that!

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
kyuree
Expert on Something

Postby kyuree » April 12th, 2009 7:10 am

already said that in the Japanese-Korean thread:

"Arbeit" in German simply means "work" whereas in Japanese and Korean it means part-time job.
On the other hand, in German if we talk about a part-time job we call it "Nebenjob" or to "jobben" ("-en" in German is like 다 in Korean, it's how all verbs end!). "neben" means "on the side" or "next to". So a Nebenjob is a job that you have on the side (to your normal career, even if that's school).
If we just say "Job" it normally is a full-time position.

Isn't it funny that the Koreans/Japanese use a German word and the Germans use an English word?

by the way... this is not rally a funny story or just a short story but when my aunt and cousin tried to talk to me in Korean and I didn't understand everything they used "English" sometimes and it was really hard for me to understand what

was meant to mean :?
They repeated it several time "잡, 잡, 잡".

me: :?:

it took me a while to understand they meant "job"...In German we pronounce the vowel more like 어 and even if it was meant to be American English, I THINK the 아 sound should be much loooonger than when in Korean you say "잡, 잡, 잡" :lol:
unfortunately having half a set of Korean genes doesn't come w/ a language gene

Chriss
Established Presence

Postby Chriss » April 12th, 2009 9:18 am

kyuree wrote:already said that in the Japanese-Korean thread:

"Arbeit" in German simply means "work" whereas in Japanese and Korean it means part-time job.
On the other hand, in German if we talk about a part-time job we call it "Nebenjob" or to "jobben" ("-en" in German is like 다 in Korean, it's how all verbs end!). "neben" means "on the side" or "next to". So a Nebenjob is a job that you have on the side (to your normal career, even if that's school).
If we just say "Job" it normally is a full-time position.

it took me a while to understand they meant "job"...In German we pronounce the vowel more like 어 and even if it was meant to be American English, I THINK the 아 sound should be much loooonger than when in Korean you say "잡, 잡, 잡" :lol:

Haha. In Norway we use both "arbeid" and "jobb." We pronouce the latter sort of like "yob." And we also say "jobben," but in Norwegian it means "the job."

I'm almost positive we got "arbeid" from German,considering approx. 30% of our vocabulary comes from German. ^^

kimchiandsoju
Established Presence

Postby kimchiandsoju » April 12th, 2009 4:43 pm

"HOF" is another one.

A lot of bars will say "Beer and Hof".

When I first got to korea though I would read it as "Beer and Hope". Which to me was of course hilarious.

Come to think of it, if I ever open a bar in the U.S. I think I'll call it "Beer and Hope".

But anyways, I think HOF is German too. Its funny though, because since most loan words are english, when I see one that's not, I get confused. At first I would be like "Hof? That's not a word!"

Its a bit English-centric, I guess. Actually American-English-Centric, since I also didn't know what W.C. stood for. W.C. is written on a lot of restroom doors. I guess its supposed to stand for Wash CLoset, but who says Wash Closet? Maybe they say that in England.

erich
Established Presence

Postby erich » April 12th, 2009 4:57 pm

W.C. stands for Water Closet as much as I know... That abbreviation is used about in every country in Europe. In my Swiss German dialect we also say "A.B." but don't ask me what these letters stand for... Really have no clue...

Yeah, this thread is really awsome and funny. My daughters just came into the room asking: what's so funny? I really must have laughed out loud to get their attention...

shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » April 12th, 2009 5:08 pm

kimchiandsoju wrote:When people asked what he was he would say "Han Ghoul" (한글).

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! THat was really funny!!

The "Sherry/Shelly" thing - I think maybe it's because ㄹcan be either an "l" or an "r" sound? It's like the KOrean word for "cherry" - they sort of pronounce it like "chelli", right? And I remember in Coffee Prince, there's this character called D.K., but in the show they kept calling him "T.K."... and in Boys over Flowers, remember the engraved letters "J&J" (or was it "JJ")on the necklace JunPyo gave to Jandi - in english it would be pronounced exactly that - "Jay&Jay" (no difference in the way the 2 Js are pronounced), but a Korean would pronounce it something like "cheh jay" although they are the same letter!! Oh well, the pecularities of each language. :D

kyuree
Expert on Something

Postby kyuree » April 12th, 2009 9:15 pm

kimchiandsoju wrote:"HOF" is another one.

A lot of bars will say "Beer and Hof".

When I first got to korea though I would read it as "Beer and Hope". Which to me was of course hilarious.

Come to think of it, if I ever open a bar in the U.S. I think I'll call it "Beer and Hope".

But anyways, I think HOF is German too. Its funny though, because since most loan words are english, when I see one that's not, I get confused. At first I would be like "Hof? That's not a word!"

haha, it is a word ... but it doesn't mean beer :D Beer is "Bier" in German (practically the same pronounciation as "beer")

Hof means "(court)/(yard)" ... but the "Beer & Hof" probably comes from Hofbräuhaus, see my quote below. (Also "court" as in royal court)

kyuree wrote:아르바이트 and arubaito in Korean this word came from Japanese which in turn is from German "Arbeit", it means part-time job in Asia and "work" in German
the abbreviations are a bit different. In Japanese it's baito and in Korean there's also the abbreviation 알바

by the way... while studying Sogang 3B, health chapter, we came across 깁스 which seems to be a loanword from German "Gips" (cast, when you say broke your arm).

hm, just checked Yahoo's 일어사전 and 깁스 is ギプス in Japanese (so the same). Maybe again the word came to Korea via Japan? I once heard that there are a lot of German loanwords in Japanese medicine language.

And 호프 Hof probably comes from German Hofbräuhaus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofbr%C3%A4uhaus_am_Platzl

I also found ホ―プ (ho-peu) on Yahoo

By the way, "Beer & Hope" is a great name for a bar in every way ;)
unfortunately having half a set of Korean genes doesn't come w/ a language gene

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”