manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » March 12th, 2009 8:36 am

javiskefka wrote:
cheri wrote:
Alexis wrote:I wrote:
"저는 호주 사람이고 한국 사람이에요."
The correction was:
저는 호주에서 태어난 한국 사람이에요. <-- What does the "에서 태어난" mean??

태어나다 (to be born) has been modified to describe the noun 한국 사람
So this sentence means "I am a Korean person born in Australia."
Speaking of which, I wonder if 교포 could be used in this case... anyone?

The problem with the correction is that it's not true in Alexis' case. I don't know if this is common in Australia, but some Korean Americans call themselves 한인 instead of 한국 사람 to indicate that they are of Korean ethnicity, but without expressing any specific affiliation with South Korea.

Or, you can call yourself a 호주 교포, which is an Australian overseas Korean.

"저는 호주에 사는 한인이에요." I am a Korean person living in Australia.
"저는 호주 교포예요." I am an Australian overseas Korean.

I think it should be...

저는 호주 사람이고 (동시에) 한국 사람이기도 해요.

호주 교포 means "A Korean living in Australia".
But as I know, Alexis is an Australian adopted from Korea.
I guess the answerer from lang-8 didn't know her background.

:roll:

cheri
Expert on Something

Postby cheri » March 12th, 2009 11:16 am

Hmm... is 한국 미국인 commonly used?

Other examples...
일본계 미국인 Japanese American
한국 일보계 미국인 Korean Japanese American? ^^
Attempts to blog in Korean^^
http://cheripracticeskorean.blogspot.com/

Ramblings about things related to (and sometimes not related to) Korea..usually this translates to FOOD^^
http://seoulberry.blogspot.com

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » March 12th, 2009 11:20 am

Yeah... Manyakumi's right - I've never posted much stuff about myself on lang-8, so people don't know my background specifically, so I think there was a bit of confusion!

...so what should I have said? LOL. I'm so confused... as usual!
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!
http://seumnida.annyeong.net/ <-- Korean learning blog!

Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » April 25th, 2009 2:34 pm

Can someone please tell me what this means:

감기 걸렸어요? 빨리 낫기를 바래요^^
한국어 배우는거 돕고 싶어요^^ 좋은 하루 보내세요^^

It's another comment left to me on Lang-8. :P
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!
http://seumnida.annyeong.net/ <-- Korean learning blog!

Chris1
Established Presence

Postby Chris1 » April 25th, 2009 3:03 pm

"Did you catch a cold? I hope you get better soon. I want to help you learn Korean! Have a good day"

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » May 17th, 2009 9:39 pm

Hello everyone! :wink:

I also made a account at lang-8 everyone feel free to add me here:

http://lang-8.com/member/51756

kyuree
Expert on Something

Postby kyuree » June 9th, 2009 10:02 am

What I don't like at lang-8 is when ppl make really complicated corrections that try to improve your stlye and optimize it to the max. I'm not so advanced that I would benefit from (or even understand) these corrections.
But it sort of makes me nearly furious when I see German members do that onto ppl who are learning German.
Some sentences are fine and they start correcting them in order to improve the style. Once I even called one of them out but I wish I wouldn't have to....

Maybe that's just my opinion but I think it's better to only correct the basic/worst errors. Also I try to write the correction in the way that it reflects the writer's intention best instead of changing the words as to make the style all fancy...

unfortunately having half a set of Korean genes doesn't come w/ a language gene

cheri
Expert on Something

Postby cheri » June 9th, 2009 9:12 pm

kyuree wrote:What I don't like at lang-8 is when ppl make really complicated corrections that try to improve your stlye and optimize it to the max. I'm not so advanced that I would benefit from (or even understand) these corrections.
But it sort of makes me nearly furious when I see German members do that onto ppl who are learning German.
Some sentences are fine and they start correcting them in order to improve the style. Once I even called one of them out but I wish I wouldn't have to....

Maybe that's just my opinion but I think it's better to only correct the basic/worst errors. Also I try to write the correction in the way that it reflects the writer's intention best instead of changing the words as to make the style all fancy...

I guess it depends on the situation. Sometimes I find it helpful - especially when they leave a good explanation of "why" - i.e. it sounds repetitive, it sets a certain tone/mood, etc. My only pet peeve is when people who aren't fluent in the language try to correct people's journals... I've seen this many times with English entries, which can obviously confuse people even more. :(
Attempts to blog in Korean^^
http://cheripracticeskorean.blogspot.com/

Ramblings about things related to (and sometimes not related to) Korea..usually this translates to FOOD^^
http://seoulberry.blogspot.com

kyuree
Expert on Something

Postby kyuree » June 10th, 2009 6:14 am

cheri wrote:
kyuree wrote:What I don't like at lang-8 is when ppl make really complicated corrections that try to improve your stlye and optimize it to the max. I'm not so advanced that I would benefit from (or even understand) these corrections.

I guess it depends on the situation. Sometimes I find it helpful - especially when they leave a good explanation of "why" - i.e. it sounds repetitive, it sets a certain tone/mood, etc. My only pet peeve is when people who aren't fluent in the language try to correct people's journals... I've seen this many times with English entries, which can obviously confuse people even more. :(

something like that doesn't happen w/ German or Korean ;).
Well I guess when the person is already very advanced it is different and one can normally see that from the text.
If the explanations or comments are in Korean I normally have to ask s.o. to translate it for me :(

But I'm happy I'm using lang-8 now. I never knew what to write about. Then again I might be out of ideas now that i've written TWO texts about woodcutter fairy tales *lol*
unfortunately having half a set of Korean genes doesn't come w/ a language gene

fjma123
Been Around a Bit

Postby fjma123 » August 25th, 2009 7:09 pm

What I don't like at lang-8 is when ppl make really complicated corrections that try to improve your stlye and optimize it to the max. I'm not so advanced that I would benefit from (or even understand) these corrections.

Well, like if I wrote in English, you wouldn't be able to find the worst errors. Actually, the thing is, I find some people's entries are really good. So if you were to correct theirs, it would probably only be style.

If I see a correct sentence that could sound better but is grammatically correct, I don't correct it but make a note of it afterward.

And sometimes it's just really hard to see what the writer is trying to say, so you have to change it:

At once, I realized that the temperatures of the air conditioner must be set too higher, however, no one wants to adjust it little lower, you know, I won't to adjust the cooler as my please for here was not my commpany, I don't know what happend here?

Now, I assumed this was what he meant, but I couldn't be sure:

At once, I realized that the temperatures of the air conditioner must be set too high, however, no one wants to adjust it little lower, because you know, my desire to adjust the cooler as I please was not my company's desire, so, I don't know what happened here?

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”