Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

...this is why I don't use Lang-8 often... XD

Alexis
Expert on Something

...this is why I don't use Lang-8 often... XD

Postby Alexis » March 5th, 2009 1:08 pm

Hello! Again. :P Like I said on another thread, I don't use lang-8 very often, as people always say things to me on there and I don't understand them! LOL. So I'm just making this topic so... hopefully you guys can tell me what people are saying to me on there! HAHA.

So I posted my latest YouTube video on there (this one --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVZeKOszkws) and so far, people have said:

1. 비디오 잘 보고 갑니다. <-- Huh?!! "갑니다"??? Doesn't that mean "to GO"??
2. 비디오 잘 봤어요...
너무 잘 하셨어요..
이렇게 하면 말하기 연습 너무 잘 될것 같아요...
지난 번 비디오도 봤었거든요... <-- I just have no clue as to... most of that. T_T *Fail*
3. 잘 보고 갑니다.
열심히 하세요!^^

Yeah... I just don't understand! T_T

Thanks for any help! ^_^ :roll:
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!
http://seumnida.annyeong.net/ <-- Korean learning blog!

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » March 5th, 2009 4:50 pm

1. 비디오 잘 보고 갑니다. <-- Huh?!! "갑니다"??? Doesn't that mean "to GO"??
It literally means "watch and go", but it has the connotation of having watched the video, finished watching it, then gone to do something else, kinda like "I stopped by to watch the video".

2. 비디오 잘 봤어요...
너무 잘 하셨어요..
이렇게 하면 말하기 연습 너무 잘 될것 같아요...
지난 번 비디오도 봤었거든요... <-- I just have no clue as to... most of that. T_T *Fail*
I enjoyed watching the video.
You did so well.
It seems like doing this would be such good speaking practice.
I watched the last video too.

3. 잘 보고 갑니다.
열심히 하세요!^^
I stopped by to watch the video.
Keep it up!

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » March 5th, 2009 10:52 pm

these comments are great Alexis! you'll run into them more and more often but the best part is that they are native. these are authentic responses by native speakers - which although sometimes a little frustrating - they are great teaching tools.

don't lose heart and keep writing/making videos!

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » March 5th, 2009 11:11 pm

GREAT explanations, Jeff :)

Taliana
Established Presence

Re: ...this is why I don't use Lang-8 often... XD

Postby Taliana » March 5th, 2009 11:57 pm

Alexis wrote:people always say things to me on there and I don't understand them!

Oh man, I know exactly how you feel. There's been times when people have written huge things to me and I've just sat there thinking "if you're correcting me over such a simple grammar point, why do you think I can understand a word you're saying right now?!". But despite the frustration and the confusion, I find those comments so valuable and just sitting down to try to translate them is in itself great study and practice.

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Re: ...this is why I don't use Lang-8 often... XD

Postby hyunwoo » March 6th, 2009 12:02 am

Taliana wrote:Oh man, I know exactly how you feel. There's been times when people have written huge things to me and I've just sat there thinking "if you're correcting me over such a simple grammar point, why do you think I can understand a word you're saying right now?!". But despite the frustration and the confusion, I find those comments so valuable and just sitting down to try to translate them is in itself great study and practice.

I think I've seen some of those comments that you're talking about on you Lang-8 page. Haha.

Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » March 6th, 2009 12:39 am

Oh man, thanks guys. You're so helpful! :D

mathew254: Yeah, I'm trying to keep that in mind - that these comments are coming from native speakers! It's great in a way, but sometimes a little pointless when I don't understand it! LOL.

THANKS HEAPS, javiskefka! You must know a lot of Korean... how long have you been studying for, anyway? :shock:

Taliana: I'm totally with you! LOL. And sometimes it goes the other way - I'll correct people's English, then think 'they're not going to have a clue what I'm saying!' XP

...I hope it's OK if I just keep adding stuff here as I use that site... LOL. :roll:
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!

yhenry
Expert on Something

Postby yhenry » March 6th, 2009 11:16 am

Alexis wrote:Oh man, thanks guys. You're so helpful! :D

mathew254: Yeah, I'm trying to keep that in mind - that these comments are coming from native speakers! It's great in a way, but sometimes a little pointless when I don't understand it! LOL.

THANKS HEAPS, javiskefka! You must know a lot of Korean... how long have you been studying for, anyway? :shock:

Taliana: I'm totally with you! LOL. And sometimes it goes the other way - I'll correct people's English, then think 'they're not going to have a clue what I'm saying!' XP

...I hope it's OK if I just keep adding stuff here as I use that site... LOL. :roll:

If you really understand your language in grammatical sense, English, you can find something similar in English that is just like 'double verb' case we Korean use without thinking much and realizing the fact that there are two verbs (actions) come one after another at the end of a sentence.

Check this out and see if you can find a pair of verbs come side by side without conjunction 'and'.

Rudy Perz, a copywriter at the
time, POPPED OPEN one of the cans and envisioned an image of a doughboy popping
out.

Another good example to explain the 'double verb' situation can be found in what is not stated but implied in a English sentence but kindly explained in a Korean sentence.
Check this out;

He has gone ==> 그는 가고 없다

Go figure.
I am a forever ESL student.

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » March 7th, 2009 5:23 am

Alexis wrote:THANKS HEAPS, javiskefka! You must know a lot of Korean... how long have you been studying for, anyway? :shock:

I've been studying Korean for 5 years, but it helps me learn new things or reinforce things I've already learned every time I help someone else out with their study ;).

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » March 7th, 2009 10:57 am

You've inspired me to get back on the horse and write some lang-8 journal entries. Thanks, Alexis :).

Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » March 8th, 2009 9:05 am

javiskefka wrote:You've inspired me to get back on the horse and write some lang-8 journal entries. Thanks, Alexis :).

Hehe, NP! ^_^
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!

Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » March 11th, 2009 11:55 am

OK... more questions!!!

Tonight I updated my blog (see link in sig!) with some stuff I wrote, using what I've so far learnt from KC101 (since I just completed the first beginner series). So... my piece of writing is/was really long. I got lots of corrections on lang-8, and I don't really want to post them all (as I'll be here all night!), so I'll just post the ones I'm most confused about! Thanks in advance! ^_^

I wrote:
"저는 호주 사람이고 한국 사람이에요."
The correction was:
저는 호주에서 태어난 한국 사람이에요. <-- What does the "에서 태어난" mean??

I wrote:
"제 어머니이고 아버지도 선생님이에요."
The correction was:
"저희 어머니와 아버지께서도 선생님이에요." <-- I just... don't understand. XP

I wrote:
"제 가족이 개가 있어요."
The correction was:
"저희 가족은 개를 키워요." <-- Again, I just don't understand. What is "키워요"???

Also, in places where I used "이고" and/or "랑/이랑", the person said I should use "와" instead... why? Doesn't 와 mean "to come"??

Argh... I'm getting frustrated and confused. I should go have a cup of coffee or some chocolate or something... :roll:
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!

cheri
Expert on Something

Postby cheri » March 11th, 2009 7:12 pm

Alexis wrote:I wrote:
"저는 호주 사람이고 한국 사람이에요."
The correction was:

태어나다 (to be born) has been modified to describe the noun 한국 사람
So this sentence means "I am a Korean person born in Australia."
Speaking of which, I wonder if 교포 could be used in this case... anyone?

I wrote:
"제 어머니이고 아버지도 선생님이에요."
The correction was:
"저희 어머니와 아버지께서도 선생님이에요." <-- I just... don't understand. XP

저회 is the honorific way of saying "our" (in Korean, instead of saying "my" mother, people tend to say "our" mother - i.e. 우리 엄마 vs 나의 엄마). 와 is another way of writing "and" (와 after vowels, 과 after consonants). 께서 is an honorific version if 이/가.

I wrote:
"제 가족이 개가 있어요."
The correction was:
"저희 가족은 개를 키워요." <-- Again, I just don't understand. What is "키워요"???

키워요 comes from the verb 키우다 which means raise. So literally, your family is raising a dog.

Also, in places where I used "이고" and/or "랑/이랑", the person said I should use "와" instead... why? Doesn't 와 mean "to come"??

와/과 = and, with

I also get confused with long explanations about grammar or what not in Korean, but I think that's what makes it fun - kind of like a mystery to solve, eh? :) 힘내세요^^[/quote]
Attempts to blog in Korean^^
http://cheripracticeskorean.blogspot.com/

Ramblings about things related to (and sometimes not related to) Korea..usually this translates to FOOD^^
http://seoulberry.blogspot.com

cheri
Expert on Something

Postby cheri » March 11th, 2009 7:28 pm

One another thing - 와/과 are interchangeable with 하고/(이)랑. The latter two are more colloquial.

Just remember that 와 is used after a noun ending with a vowel, and 과 with a noun ending in consonant.

친구와 가족 friend(s) and family
책과 연필 book and pencil
Attempts to blog in Korean^^
http://cheripracticeskorean.blogspot.com/

Ramblings about things related to (and sometimes not related to) Korea..usually this translates to FOOD^^
http://seoulberry.blogspot.com

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » March 12th, 2009 4:27 am

cheri wrote:
Alexis wrote:I wrote:
"저는 호주 사람이고 한국 사람이에요."
The correction was:

태어나다 (to be born) has been modified to describe the noun 한국 사람
So this sentence means "I am a Korean person born in Australia."
Speaking of which, I wonder if 교포 could be used in this case... anyone?

The problem with the correction is that it's not true in Alexis' case. I don't know if this is common in Australia, but some Korean Americans call themselves 한인 instead of 한국 사람 to indicate that they are of Korean ethnicity, but without expressing any specific affiliation with South Korea.

Or, you can call yourself a 호주 교포, which is an Australian overseas Korean.

"저는 호주에 사는 한인이에요." I am a Korean person living in Australia.
"저는 호주 교포예요." I am an Australian overseas Korean.

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”