a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

좋지만 vs 좋다지만?

cheri
Expert on Something

좋지만 vs 좋다지만?

Postby cheri » February 18th, 2009 2:39 pm

Hello~

Can someone explain the difference between 좋지만 and 좋다지만 or is it pretty much the same thing? Basically, I'm a little confused by when the entire "root word" shows up with another grammar pattern...

Similarly... "음식점 찾아다는거" How is this different from "음식점 찾는거?"

Thanks. ^^
Attempts to blog in Korean^^
http://cheripracticeskorean.blogspot.com/

Ramblings about things related to (and sometimes not related to) Korea..usually this translates to FOOD^^
http://seoulberry.blogspot.com

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » February 18th, 2009 10:18 pm

좋다지만 is short for 좋다고 하지만, or "say it's good, but". There was a discussion about "-다면서" a couple weeks ago on here. If you can find it it might be helpful, because it's a similar concept at work.

This is basically a third person narration and a conjunction rolled into one word. It's different from 좋지만 because that one is your opinion that something is good, while 좋다지만 might be someone else's opinion (you could be repeating your own words, depending on the context).

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
cheri
Expert on Something

Postby cheri » February 19th, 2009 12:14 am

javiskefka wrote:좋다지만 is short for 좋다고 하지만, or "say it's good, but". There was a discussion about "-다면서" a couple weeks ago on here. If you can find it it might be helpful, because it's a similar concept at work.

This is basically a third person narration and a conjunction rolled into one word. It's different from 좋지만 because that one is your opinion that something is good, while 좋다지만 might be someone else's opinion (you could be repeating your own words, depending on the context).

Thanks, it makes sense in this context when you say that the speaker could be repeating his/her own words. I understand the 다면서 pattern, and I think the thread you were referring to was holdfast's which I read? ^^ However, I'm just wondering if there's any other nuance behind it b/c when I asked a Korean friend, he said it meant the same thing with a slight difference but couldn't explain it, hehe, similar to how 태워줄께 vs 태워다줄께 are slightly different - but not necessarily about reported speech. I could just be missing something here... thanks again. : )
Attempts to blog in Korean^^
http://cheripracticeskorean.blogspot.com/

Ramblings about things related to (and sometimes not related to) Korea..usually this translates to FOOD^^
http://seoulberry.blogspot.com

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » February 19th, 2009 6:56 am

Above three cases are all different 다's usages. :)

1. 좋지만 vs 좋다지만

As javiskefka said, 좋다지만 is short for 좋다고 하지만.
And it refers to the speaker's opinion with the common sense.

2. 음식점 찾아다는거 vs 음식점 찾는거

You might wanted to say 음식점 찾았다는 거 or 음식점 찾는다는 거.
This 다 is just an ending of the sentence.

음식점 찾았다 + 는 것 : The thing is + I found the restaurant
음식점 찾는다 + 는 것 : The thing is + I find the restaurant

음식점 찾는 거 : Finding the restaurant

3. 태워줄께 vs 태워다 줄께

This 다 is short for ㅏ/ㅓ다가.
The construction of this sentence would be
[Verb A] + ㅏ/ㅓ다가 [Verb B]
means "To [verb B] with the action of to [Verb A]"

태워다 줄께 -> 태워다가 가 줄께 : I'll pick you up and bring you there.
태워줄께 : I'll let you in this ride.

이것 좀 갖다 드세요. -> 이것 좀 가져다가 드세요. : Bring this and try(eat) some, please.
이것 좀 드세요. : Try this, please.

그는 열심히 돈 벌어다 (그녀한테) 다 바친다.
He earn his money so hard and give it all to her.

I'm wondering if I explained well.
Hope this helps, anyway.
;)

yhenry
Expert on Something

Postby yhenry » February 20th, 2009 2:33 am

javiskefka wrote:좋다지만 is short for 좋다고 하지만, or "say it's good, but". There was a discussion about "-다면서" a couple weeks ago on here. If you can find it it might be helpful, because it's a similar concept at work.

Viva javiskefka!

You did answer real good.
Yes, 좋다지만 can be translated as 'some say it is good but', a third person narration plus conjunction.
I am a forever ESL student.

yhenry
Expert on Something

Postby yhenry » February 20th, 2009 2:41 am

cheri wrote:the same thing with a slight difference but couldn't explain it, hehe, similar to how 태워줄께 vs 태워다줄께 are slightly different - but not necessarily about reported speech. I could just be missing something here... thanks again. : )

태워줄께 simply means 'I will give you a lift'.
태워다줄께 has more than giving a ride but with the notion of 'taking one to his destination'.
I am a forever ESL student.

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”