Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

No regrets...? and other questions

Eden
Been Around a Bit

Postby Eden » September 19th, 2009 3:20 pm

manyakumi wrote:I think you'd better find another texts more educational for your language learning. ;)
In fact, the "poetry"(or whatever) above doesn't make sense at all.

hahaha, i know. I do read stuff more educational than this (mostly text book type books), this is just the stuff that doesn't have help pre-occompanying it. I read blogs and stuff, and i get curious about those little sentences and things, as i figure a lot of them use slang. It's still educational in my eyes, just on a different scale :lol:

fjma123
Been Around a Bit

Postby fjma123 » September 20th, 2009 3:49 pm

If you want to learn from something similar to poetry, I would recommend listening to songs. My mom says you can't learn anything from a song because they put whatever they want, but that's not exactly true. If it doesn't make much sense at all, people aren't going to listen to the song, right? So it has to at least make sense. Plus a lot of songs are translated so you can compare the Korean to the English.

Poetry isn't like that at all. We had to analyze poetry in English class before, and I pretty much hated it because I didn't get the deeper meaning at all. Because sometimes poetry just doesn't make sense.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Eden
Been Around a Bit

Postby Eden » September 23rd, 2009 10:45 pm

several questions this time.

first, i sort of understand this, but not quite enough, what exactly does the ending -고/하고 mean? Like if you say 공부하고 or 드리고 (드리다고?) for example? what about -라고? I know if you say something like 나 안이라고 it means something along the lines of "It wasn't me" so does that mean that -라고 is like "it was/it is"?

does "놀러왔어" mean "came to play/have fun/hang out"?

does "요즘" mean "these days" in the context of "요즘 잘 지내?" like "how have you been these days?"

Also, "맨날" used in this context: "맨날 피곤해" does this mean "to be tired most of the time/most days"?

on the internet, "ㅎㅎ" "ㅋㅋ" and the like are like "haha" and "keke" right?

괜찮은데 means "I'm okay [with it]" right?

I'm writing a short letter to a korean friend of mine about school and such, and i want to make sure it makes sense.

if i wanted to say that i'm studying so hard, my head is spinning could i say "모리가 빙빙하를 정도로 공부해 "? or is that a strange expression?

also, "the bookstore didn't have my textbooks until yesterday" would be " 어제까지 내 교과사 서점 없었어."?
How would i say "I'm behind" (like on school work)?

If i wanted to say " accounting is difficult" it would be "회계 괴롭다" correct?

how would i say "All things considered, i'm good."?

fjma123
Been Around a Bit

Postby fjma123 » September 24th, 2009 3:34 pm

-고/하고 usually means and. It's one of the ways to connect nouns.
It's also used for I want to do something.
가고 싶어.
I go and I want.
I want to go.

라고 is a quotation I believe. My mom said it's not a full sentence. So 나 안이라고 probably would be I said, "It wasn't me!" except the say verb is implied.

놀러왔어 means that came to play or hang out. See, certain verbs already have a direction associated with them. Go and come are one of these verbs. Give and receive are another one.

Like,
우리 학교에 왔어. (O)
우리 학교에 갔어. (X)

They can't go to our university because that just doesn't make sense. They came to our university because the direction is toward us. Yes, you can say in English "someone goes to our university," but that's actually like an idiom so it's not relevant here. Am I making sense here? I'm just wondering.

I looked up 요즘 in the dictionary and it says lately but the japanese translation says these days so I'd say either translation works.

맨날 seems to Gyeongsang Dialect for 매일(everyday). So "everyday I am tired."

Yeah ㅎㅎ ㅋㅋ mean haha and keke. sort of like lol.

괜찮은데 could mean I'm okay or it's okay, depending on the context. The 은데 means but, however, etc... Usually meaning the speaker wants to say something else.

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think 모리가 빙빙하를 정도로 공부해 is the right way to say it because I think that means My head will spin and I study enough. I think this might be better. (Oh, oops, it's 머리, not 모리. I thought something was wrong.)

열심히 공부하면 모리가 빙빙할 거예요. (I used the future tense, but I think present tense would work as well.)

I think the order is wrong. I think you would use the identifier particles in this case, but I'm not entirely sure. The topic particle could be used, like say for instance, they had them today, but they didn't have them yesterday. then you would probably use the topic particle.

어제까지 서점이 내 교과사가 없었어.

I'm behind? That's a tough one, because it's sort of like an idiom in English. You can't just translate it literally. 上を行く 【うえをいく】 (exp) to be ahead of
Since the opposite is an expression in Japanese, it probably looks like it's an expression in Korean, so I'm sorry, I don't know how to translate it. Maybe I'm late as for schoolwork? Hmm...

It might, but 괴롭다 usually means to be bothersome or annoying. That's how it's taught here at KC101 least. I think 어렵다 would be the verb for to be difficult so 회계가 어려워.

모두 생각은 나는 좋아요.
As for thinking all, as for me, good.

I think that should convey the meaning you want because in Japanese there's a verb to think but it almost means to consider. The other verb to think also means to feel.

Eden
Been Around a Bit

Postby Eden » October 4th, 2009 3:58 am

more blog stuff XD i understand all of the base words, but i'm still having difficulties with the grammer points and conjugations, like what tense they're in and such.

아직 보지도 못한 사람이지만..
마음이 따뜻할것 같은 사람..

말없이 떠나지 않을 것 같은 사람.

the first line is something about (still) not being able to see someone?
I know -것 같은 is to be like something from one of my previous questions, so would that make the second line "to have a warm heart like that person"?

말없이 is silently, correct? or would the context perhaps make it more like "without notice"? 떠나다 means to leave or part ways, right? what does -지 mean?

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » October 4th, 2009 6:38 am

Eden wrote: first, i sort of understand this, but not quite enough, what exactly does the ending -고/하고 mean? Like if you say 공부하고 or 드리고 (드리다고?) for example?

Like fjma123 said, it means "and"

Eden wrote: what about -라고? I know if you say something like 나 안이라고 it means something along the lines of "It wasn't me" so does that mean that -라고 is like "it was/it is"?

나 아니라고
I said it is/was not me.

It's a kind of short for 나 아니라고 했잖아.

Eden wrote: does "놀러왔어" mean "came to play/have fun/hang out"?

Exactly. :)

Eden wrote: does "요즘" mean "these days" in the context of "요즘 잘 지내?" like "how have you been these days?"

Right.

Eden wrote: Also, "맨날" used in this context: "맨날 피곤해" does this mean "to be tired most of the time/most days"?

Yes. the original meaning of 맨날 is "everyday".

Eden wrote: on the internet, "ㅎㅎ" "ㅋㅋ" and the like are like "haha" and "keke" right?

It's more like "흐흐" "크크" and softer than "haha" "keke" in their nuances.

Eden wrote: 괜찮은데 means "I'm okay [with it]" right?

괜찮은데 is actually not a full sentence.
It might have been used in some context.

It could mean "You're good" "I'm okay and..." "That's nice" etc...

Eden wrote: if i wanted to say that i'm studying so hard, my head is spinning could i say "모리가 빙빙하를 정도로 공부해 "? or is that a strange expression?

It would be
머리가 빙빙 돌 정도로 열심히 공부하고 있어.
너무 열심히 공부해서 머리가 빙빙 돌아.

Eden wrote: also, "the bookstore didn't have my textbooks until yesterday" would be " 어제까지 내 교과사 서점 없었어."?

어제까지는 교과서가 서점에 없었어.
(는 was used for emphasizing 'until yesterday')

Eden wrote: How would i say "I'm behind" (like on school work)?

나는 뒤처지고 있어.

Eden wrote: If i wanted to say " accounting is difficult" it would be "회계 괴롭다" correct?

회계는(회계학은) 어렵다.

Eden wrote: how would i say "All things considered, i'm good."?

I "guess" this means '나는 대체적으로 좋아.'
Hope one who is good at english and korean both will explain this.

:wink:

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » October 4th, 2009 6:52 am

Eden wrote:more blog stuff XD

This is much better :D

아직 보지도 못한 사람이지만..
Although he(she) is the one who doesn't even see me yet

마음이 따뜻할것 같은 사람..
He(she) is the one who seems to be warm hearted

말없이 떠나지 않을 것 같은 사람.
The one who seems never leave without a word.

Eden wrote: 말없이 is silently, correct? or would the context perhaps make it more like "without notice"? 떠나다 means to leave or part ways, right?

You're right.

Eden wrote: what does -지 mean?

It's a part of the grammatical term '__지 않다' which means 'not to'

떠나다 : to leave
떠나지 않다 : not to leave

And it's same with
안떠나다.

Hope this helps.

:D

Eden
Been Around a Bit

Postby Eden » October 9th, 2009 4:09 pm

thanks so much, Manyakumi!

So i just recently joined cyworld and overnight i recieved a messagefrom someone not on my 일촌 list. My translation skills are still lacking so i'm not sure exactly what they're trying to say. Not asking for a full translation this time (unless someone wants to) just wanna know the overall idea of what she's saying.

일단이렇게 허락없이 쪽지 보내서 넘넘죄송합니다

정말 마니 노력 했거든요... 그래서

많은 사람들에게 알리고 싶어서 이렇게 쪽지를 보냅니다

남성의류 쇼핑몰이고요 여성분들도 보시면 남자친구옷, 오빠, 남동생, 스타일에

많은 도움을 줄수있을꺼같아요~

저희의 사진과 스타일을 좋은평가 해주시기 바래요

네이버 검색창에 ((미스터콧수염))이라고 치면 나오고요

신나는 배경음악들으면서요 많이 좋은 구경 하시길 바랄게요

쪽지 읽어 주셔서 정말 감사 합니다

항상 행복하세요^^그리고 건강하세요~

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » October 9th, 2009 5:10 pm

It's polite and apologetic spam for a men's fashion and clothing website. They offer advice (and online ordering) for choosing gifts for all those stylish guys in your life :D

Eden
Been Around a Bit

Postby Eden » October 9th, 2009 6:50 pm

LOL so my original thought was right XD I had a feeling it was spam. thanks for confirming it, haha

Eden
Been Around a Bit

Postby Eden » October 11th, 2009 4:31 pm

More blog stuff...
차라리 몰랐다면,
그때 그냥
몰랐다면

이렇게 힘들진 않았을 텐데.

I THINK i understand this but i'm not sure...most likely i'm wrong. but i'm giving it a stab...
"If I didn't know before,
As it is
If i did not know

(I) would not be exhausted like this"

am i even remotely close? I actually somewhat nderstood the conjugations and stuff this time, except for -을 텐데. I've heard it before but i never found out what it means.

Also, if i wanted to say "___ things" such as "2 things" "4 things" ect. how would i say it?
For example, how would i say "There are 2 things i would like to do"
or "I have 3 things i need you to do for me"?

if i wanted to say "I can't do anything" would "나 모두 못해요" be a correct way of saying it?

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » October 12th, 2009 10:04 am

Eden wrote: 차라리 몰랐다면,
그때 그냥
몰랐다면

이렇게 힘들진 않았을 텐데.

"If I didn't know before,
As it is
If i did not know

(I) would not be exhausted like this"

I think your translation was very close.
Let me try a bit different.

차라리 몰랐다면,
If I did rather not know,
그때 그냥 몰랐다면
If I just didn't know at that time

이렇게 힘들진 않았을 텐데.
I might not be in pain like this.

Does my translation make sense?
:roll:

Eden wrote: Also, if i wanted to say "___ things" such as "2 things" "4 things" ect. how would i say it?
For example, how would i say "There are 2 things i would like to do"
or "I have 3 things i need you to do for me"?

You could say '가지' in that case.
2 things 두 가지
4 things 네 가지

There are 2 things i would like to do.
하고 싶은 게 두 가지 있어요.

I have 3 things i need you to do for me.
(당신이) 제게 해 주었으면 하는 일이 세 가지 있어요.

Eden wrote: if i wanted to say "I can't do anything" would "나 모두 못해요" be a correct way of saying it?

You'd better say as "저 아무 것도 못 해요."
It's not wrong expression to say '모두' or '전부' though.

:)

Eden
Been Around a Bit

Postby Eden » October 27th, 2009 5:36 am

I want to take another stab at translation on my own:

마음이 따뜻한 사람이면 콜
My heart is warm if that person calls

Am i somewhat close?

Also, this was a message from my korean friend on cyworld that i took a stab at translating:
늦었지만 생일 축하해 ㅎㅎ
Happy belated birthday

언제 후카는 간거야 ㅋㅋ
(not sure on this one..i know 'When' and 'Hookah', but i don' know what 간거야 means)

내가 매일 착각해서 생일을 모르고 넘겨버렸네
Everyday i was under the wrong impression, i did not know i had guessed you birthday wrong.

조만간 한번 보자 ㅎㅎ
Sooner or later i'll look again (?)

좋은하루,, ㅎㅎ
have a good day

나는, ㅡ,.ㅡ;;
(i don't understand what he means here? "I am...." perhaps?)

So my questions here are, how did i do? and also, what does 간거야 mean? And what does the last sentence "나는, ㅡ,.ㅡ;;" imply?

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » October 27th, 2009 11:07 am

Eden wrote: 마음이 따뜻한 사람이면 콜
My heart is warm if that person calls

This "콜(call)" means "to be accepted" as in the poker games.
So, the line means...

I will accept if he/she is warm hearted.

Eden wrote: Also, this was a message from my korean friend on cyworld that i took a stab at translating:
늦었지만 생일 축하해 ㅎㅎ
Happy belated birthday

Though I'm late, happy birthday. (Is this the same with yours?)

Eden wrote: 언제 후카는 간거야 ㅋㅋ
(not sure on this one..i know 'When' and 'Hookah', but i don' know what 간거야 means)

간거야 is a short for 간 것이야.

When did you go to Hookah?

Eden wrote: 내가 매일 착각해서 생일을 모르고 넘겨버렸네
Everyday i was under the wrong impression, i did not know i had guessed you birthday wrong.

I was confusing everyday, so I have passed your birthday without knowing. (make sense?)

Eden wrote: 조만간 한번 보자 ㅎㅎ
Sooner or later i'll look again (?)

See you soon.

Eden wrote: 나는, ㅡ,.ㅡ;;
(i don't understand what he means here? "I am...." perhaps?)

That is an emoticon showing one's dull face.
"I'm a fool"
"I'm so tired"
"I'm going to have some hard times"
etc.

:)

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”