Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

anyone have a trick for numbers?

holdfast
Expert on Something

anyone have a trick for numbers?

Postby holdfast » January 12th, 2009 1:13 am

o.k. so i am kind of ashamed to admit this, but for as well as i can speak korean, i still haven't figured out the number system... well, i have a good grasp on the chinese numbers, but i'm not quite so good with the pure korean numbers. (yes, i know what you're going to say - it's easy, it's one of the first things you should learn, i can't believe you can't count already.. etc etc.. yes, yes, i know i know... i'm a slacker, is what it really comes down to). it doesn't help that i'm pretty dyslexic with numbers, so i have a hard time reading numbers and telling time even in english.....

so my question is, does anyone have any good tricks for remembering numbers? or, how to remember which set of numbers to use when? i am always confused with that.

but my biggest problem when it comes to numbers is how to read big numbers - like, when it gets into 100,000 or more...... any suggestions?

like for 657,983 - would it be: 육십오만질전구백발십삼? or am i waaaaay off?

and.. can someone explain how to read time as well? (i know i should know this already, but i don't......;;;)

좀 도와 주세요~~~~~ :oops:

(i decided to make this a new topic because it thought it might warrant more discussion than it would get in my question thread - hehe)
Last edited by holdfast on January 12th, 2009 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
안녕하세요~ 에밀리입니다~~ ^^
korean blog: http://holdfasthope.wordpress.com
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/sendmetokorea

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » January 12th, 2009 1:38 am

wow emily you might be like me...scary.

tricks? none. countless corrections? yes. hours of embarrassment? yes. making it any simpler? no.

but at least you're struggling with the same problem as most of us: the native system throws us for a loop. Just when I get comfortable in the sino system, I find out I should have used the native system instead. opps.

my tutor explains it like this: always assume you use the sino numbers. then, there are exceptions. hours of the day, counting small things like bottles, pieces of candy, people, and age (mostly). I say mostly because, like Keith points out, some Koreans don't know/use the native system past common cumbers (usually past 30 or 40 or so). Even then, I'm happy to hear that even native speakers prefer the sino system but obviously cannot imagine 한국말 without the native system.

So, matthew's tip of the day: when in doubt, use the sino system. Just remember the exceptions.

as far as time, I picked this up out of force - my tutor makes me use it even if I don't speak any other Korean - I have to use Korean with time of day. Even still, like you, in any language, I struggle with time (and numbers in general). But you personally have such an outgoing personality that for it should take less time to get it down. For me, I started with flash cards...

Okay, now as far as the grouping problem with big numbers, think in terms of modifying/multiplying a counting system - not using a system itself. In English, we can just always assume a logical progression: ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, hundred thousands, etc. But with Korean, it works more like ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, ten times ten thousands, etc http://www.langintro.com/kintro/numbers/sinokor.htm

keep'em coming. what does everyone else do with numbers to help them?

for confessions of a numerically challenged Korean language learner, check out:
http://blogs.koreanclass101.com/blog/20 ... -no-sense/

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
cheri
Expert on Something

Postby cheri » January 17th, 2009 9:34 am

Re: Reading time... Use pure Korean numbers for hours, and sino-Korean numbers for minutes. For example:

1:00 = 한시
1:15 = 한시 십오분
1:30 = 한시 삼십분 (or 한시 반)

..두시, 세시, 네시, 다섯시.. 열두시.. so on and so forth.. ^^

Hope this makes sense?

Chriss
Established Presence

Postby Chriss » January 18th, 2009 2:56 pm

The small numbers are ok for me, but I'm absolutely not used to having to deal with larger numbers, so just learning to deal with larger numbers is a challenge. I tend to be ok while still in the 1000s, but when it starts dealing with 10000, I start getting confused as to what number I'm actually reading. So I need all the help I can get, too!

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”